LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 04:33 PM

I zipped into town with the information posted in my hot little hand, only to find out today that my local Sherwin-Williams store (which does not carry their automotive paints) cannot easily duplicate the dark green color (that WrenchinOnIt posted) in their machinery paint line. It's like it is two different companies. The store manager said that he could not even read the paint code. He did say that he could have it made up in automotive and shipped in.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#62 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 04:53 PM

I zipped into town with the information posted in my hot little hand, only to find out today that my local Sherwin-Williams store (which does not carry their automotive paints) cannot easily duplicate the dark green color (that WrenchinOnIt posted) in their machinery paint line. It's like it is two different companies. The store manager said that he could not even read the paint code. He did say that he could have it made up in automotive and shipped in.

Just got off the phone with our local NAPA , gave him the code and he said he could mix it no problem, I'm buying my paint at NAPA now because this is the same person who mixed the paint I depicted , he was at the local place as their paint guru for a long time, NAPA came to town and he went to work for them, he hasn't steered me wrong yet.
  • LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#63 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I use this for the off white on the HT23's it PDC . Here are some pics of the hood I painted last spring with this paint,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160229_1647160_rewind.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 29, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#64 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi Tom,don't know what to say on that,I know Brian has been trying to figure this color out for quite a while now,maybe he will have some thoughts on this,you need to see if you can find a place where weather hasn't took its toll on it,on my 1000 when I took the fender pan off and washed it off you could really see the metallic
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#65 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:43 PM

Is that for a specific year being metallic or does that cover many? I'm interested in repainting my 69 1225 and want it to be correct. Thanks Tom

I'm not sure yet, been trying to get samples from that year

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#66 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Paint code that was listed at my local parts place that mixes paint , it was listed as Bolens Green , and was from mid '80's, here is a pic of it sprayed on my hydro dump, pulled by a mid '80's HT23, I touched up of few spots on the 23 and it was as dead on as my eyes could judge it.
Sherwin Williams
2nd Dimension
UFN : 3873401
Dark Green
Code: 173-6796

Beauty trailer! I sure would love that around the property!
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#67 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hi Tom,don't know what to say on that,I know Brian has been trying to figure this color out for quite a while now,maybe he will have some thoughts on this,you need to see if you can find a place where weather hasn't took its toll on it,on my 1000 when I took the fender pan off and washed it off you could really see the metallic

I'm not sure yet, been trying to get samples from that year

When I get a chance , I'll see if I can find a spot that has original paint and let  you guys know then.

#68 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Here's what I found for repainting the steering wheel on my 1000,its a shade off but looks good,limited to color choises with this product

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160301_111602.jpg
  • 20160301_092419.jpg

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, March 02, 2016 - 09:32 PM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#69 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 51184
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 10:26 AM

I used rustoleom high heat white paint on my G10. Kind of a darker creamy white though. might repaint. 

#70 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Has anybody found a paint code yet or a close color for the 600 gold metallic? Would like to find out soon, as I'll be needing paint by this summer. 

• Tbrooks said thank you

#71 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Ok, stay tuned in this thread I'm going to compile all the codes we have so far and make them visible in the first post of this thread, Lots of developments and discoveries have been made over the past two years and It will be good to finally get some codes that are about 95% to 99% accurate!

• johndeereelfman, Nato77, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#72 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:46 PM

I was working on cleaning my shop out today and ran across two FMC Bolens rattle can touch-up spray paint cans one of them is labeled 173-5224 Aztec Gold and the other is labeled 174-2379 light green. neither can shows any sign of use, the rattle in the green can rattles and someone wrote on it non metallic .the gold can shakes and feels like there is liquid in the can but the rattle does not rattle. there is no date code on the cans but the FMC name is the red out line not the solid red , it does say manufactured for FMC corporation outdoor power equipment division, Port Washington,WI. if interested maybe I can send the cans to you and you could open them up and see if it is possible to get any color out of them to use to get a paint code from another paint co.

• Bolens 1000, johndeereelfman and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#73 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:51 PM

The aztec gold is what they used on the late 70's Rear engine riders, light green is likely the early 80's push mower/ RER green paint

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#74 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:45 PM

I don't know if it will help anybody out here or not, but after doing some research, I think I found the gold that I'm looking for, in restoring my loader. Here is the closest that I found so far:

1966 Chrysler Barracuda

Color Name: Saddle Bronze DT6221

Code Letter: Y

PPG #: 22538

DuPont #: 181-97808 / 4765L 

It's the closest match that I can tell by the parts that I have with original paint on them. I don't own a Bolen's tractor, so I can't be sure if it will match what you guys are searching for, however I think it may be very close. I'll let you guys determine that, as I'm not the professional here. All of the Aztec Gold that I have found, seems to be very goldish in color, and that's not what I'm looking for. Although my pieces seem to have a gold tint to them, they have more of a brown or copper tint as well which over powers a full blown gold color. I also took notice that my parts aren't as metallic as originally thought, which is a plus for me, as I think the metallic will be more of a pain to touch up or get a nice finish out of. I've heard you really have to work hard in getting a nice finish out of a metallic paint. Maybe you guys can give more insight on that myth better than me. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 04, 2016 - 05:45 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#75 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:20 PM

From the days when I painted cars with my cousin, it is. Air pressure, speed of travel with the gun, and keeping the same distance from the part all play in. The bigger the area the more noticeable, as in a side of a car. Silver is the hardest to keep consistent.  The air pressure is the biggest as the atomization will change at different pressures and the flow of the metallic varies.   I think on smaller parts such as loader, it won't be as noticeable. Hope that helps, Tom

• johndeereelfman said thank you