• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:36 PM

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a problem with the 84-86 116H series of tractors. There is one in the area and I plan on going to look at it HOWEVER...the owner says it has a "tough time climbing steep hills". Just curious to know if this is a "weak spot" on the 116H as I know my 5-speed will climb itself up a wall, if you let it.

Any thoughts / things to be aware of?

Thanks, guys

#2 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Probably could start by changing the fluid on the Hydro,

Heard of guys going to something little heavier as the hydro gets older, like 10w30 oil.

But even if you just changed it with the JD HydraGuard fluid.

JK
  • dave8338 said thank you

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 10:26 AM

The 116H (the "H" stands for hydro, as there were gear drive versions of the 116) were made from 1982 to 1985. They used an Eaton light duty transmission. Being 26 to 29 years old now, those hydros probably have reached their life span. The Eatons, though good transmissions, were made for light duty use and were not made to be serviceable. You could drain the transmission fluid and replace it, and that might help. Also, be sure the cooling fins are clean and the fan is still intact. If changing the fluid gives it more life, great. If not then you probably either have to live with it or look for an another transmission. Keep in mind any used transmission will have close to number of years service on them as the one in that 116.

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Should be in my possesion, tomorrow morning by 10:00 o'clock.:bounce:

#5 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Made the deal and it is now, sitting in the back of my truck ! The little bugger is clean and you can tell, iot has not spent any time out in the rain. Engine pops right off and sounds TIGHT and the deck is nice and smooth, as well. $350 I feel, was a fair price and the guy even delivered it to my work, for me.

Take a look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just my luck, the tractor came with a head light but it is missing. The switch is in the dash and functions, but the light is AWOL. :wallbanging:

If anyone has one and is looking to part with it, please let me know.

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Dave,
The light bar is sort of expensive, so hold onto your hat when you find one. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

#7 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Well...I got the 116H home and unloaded, started right up, blades were "sharp enough" for a test spin and ended up mowing with it for 1-hour, without any issues. The fan on the Hydro-trans spins nice and fast though, it is missing a blade, still throws plenty of air. Otherwise, the little devil climbs right up the steepest part of my yard, without any effort. Think she is a keeper.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Congratulations on the new tractor.

#9 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 11:15 PM

Nice!!!

I'd replace the fan though, with a blade missing, it's out of balance and will soon shake itself apart.

#10 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Nice!!!

I'd replace the fan though, with a blade missing, it's out of balance and will soon shake itself apart.

My thought as well. As far as I know, I can still get the fan through the JD dealer I use. Ran the 116H again last night and used it for the walnut grinder (Black Walnut tree) and I'm VERY happy with the way that it grinds things up. NEVER a lack of power with the 38" deck and really does a good job of making mulch out of things. So far...so good. May earn the nickname of "The Grinder"...

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Looks like a nice little tractor. That was not a cheap machine when new... why not step up to a 200 series for that kind of money?!?!?

#12 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Looks like a nice little tractor. That was not a cheap machine when new... why not step up to a 200 series for that kind of money?!?!?

I'm a little strange, that way. I can't imagine a lawn tractor that will run any better and last any longer than the 116 5-speed, that I have. I know nearly every nut and bolt on the thing, the B&S 16 twin is just sooooo smooth, ect. I like the fact that the dimensions of the 116's are quite small so it make getting around the yard easy (loads of trees and landscaping) and I only use them for mowing, though I'm in the process of fitting a rear mount tiller set up to one of them. If I need the earth work capacity or snow removal duty, I fire up my 773 Bobcat with the thermal cab, heat and wipers, and have at it.

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 03:40 PM

I think my post came across incorrectly...

When I was implying price I was thinking about the original purchase price and all of the settings I have used a riding mower. In those cases bigger has been better. :bigrofl:

I think it is a really cool tractor that will be very useful and I do appreciate the compact size. I think you did great. :thumbs:

Edited by Trav1s, October 14, 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#14 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 11:08 PM

I think my post came across incorrectly...

When I was implying price I was thinking about the original purchase price and all of the settings I have used a riding mower. In those cases bigger has been better. :bigrofl:

I think it is a really cool tractor that will be very useful and I do appreciate the compact size. I think you did great. :thumbs:

NO problem. I am a 116 fan, what can I say... :blush2: In most cases, bigger is better! :D
Strange... I have a perma-grin, when mowing with the JD's. Never had/seen another GT cut soooo smooooooth. :p The Hydro may well turn into the "winter toy" as I have a blower, weights, chains, ect., that I used to use on the 116 5-speed. Hmmmm...now for the Cozy Cab... :worshippy2:

#15 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 12:24 AM

I had a 116 that I sold to a friend of mine. I got it in pieces and it was the one that really started my hobby. I now have 13 tractors so watch out! Mine also cut the best strip of grass out of all of my tractors and turned great around all of my trees. It was much easier to maneuver around than my bigger GTs. I imagine someday I'll want it back but it's been fun helping my buddy find parts for it and get it in better shape than when it left here.