Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere Paint colors

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6157
  • 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi guys, I am preparing for my John Deere restorations and am considering paints. John Deere green and yellow appear to be pretty much a standard.

However, have the paint colors, over the years, changed? If I go to the auto-body store and purchase John Deere Green and John Deere Yellow, is this the same color and hue that was originally used on my 1965 round fender 110?

Have the colors and hues changed over the years? :confuse:

I think there are different paints for the older John Deere tractors (not garden or lawn tractors).

Thank you in advance.

- Mark

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 1,378 Thanks
  • 2,460 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 03:02 PM

From what I have learned there are two greens and one yellow (besides industrial yellow, orange and the custom color machines).

The original green called "antique" green according to the Valspar "Restoration Series" paints was used on the tractor's before the New Generation series tractors.

I believe the correct color for any of the Deere LGT machines is the later green that is still used today.

FWIW - Valspar makes all of the paint for Deere even today.

I am going to go with the Valspar "Restoration Series" yellow on my extra model 38 deck that is undergoing restoration. Bought it at TSC and it is around $15/qt.

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Magic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 1,965 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Mark,

I think you'll get a lot of response out of this question. I was told that the John Deere "Classic Green" shade was used up until 1958, and then after this, John Deere started painting the tractors a darker green "Agriculture Green". I personally disagree with this. I have three original 1960's John Deere round fendered 110/112 graden tractors that have never been repainted. If you compare them with the original paint on my 1970 120, you'll see that the green is much darker on the 120 than the green on my round fenders. My Dad has a 1959 John Deere 630 farm tractor, and the paint on it is really, really close to the green on my round fenders. Me? I use the John Deere "Classic Green" on all of my tractors before 1970. 1970 and newer get painted the "Agriculture Green". I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder, and per your personal preference. Good Luck with your adventure, and no matter which shade you decide to use, be proud of your decision.

Take Care,
Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 06, 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 1,378 Thanks
  • 2,460 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Troy. I noticed that the green on my '66 is lighter than the current green. I also noticed the original green on the 120 (under a sad, pathetic and pitiful repaint) on the 120 also appears to be lighter. Choices...

#5 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 42 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:02 PM

The Correct Green Paint since 1963 is Ag/C&CE Green Paint In a Spray Can is part Number TY25624
"antique" green was never used on the Deere Lawn & Garden tractors from 1963 to Present:thumbs:
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Magic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 1,965 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:06 PM

Guys,
Just a suggestion, but I have found when using the John Deere Yellow, it applies best over Red/Brown primer. I have used gray primer for years, and it always took at least three to four coats of yellow to cover. After trying the red/brown primer, I can use less yellow to cover, and for some unknown reason, it seems to give me a much better finish, than when I used the gray as my base coat.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hello guys, thank you for the useful feedback. I think that I will be using the newer Agriculture green as my John Deere tractors are 1965 and newer.

#8 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7141
  • 74 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 05:33 PM

I had been wondering about this myself for some time now. I wonder if the compounds in the paint gave the pre 1970's that particular color. I agree that its been the ag green but there is just something about the early GT paint.

#9 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 05:48 PM

I had been wondering about this myself for some time now. I wonder if the compounds in the paint gave the pre 1970's that particular color. I agree that its been the ag green but there is just something about the early GT paint.

Hi Brett, yes it is very interesting that there are inconsistencies in the paint colors and disagreements as the use of the correct color. Take a look at the picture below. Notice that the original hood on my 1968 140 H1 is a paler green that the other replacement hood which also supposedly came off a 1968 140 H3 tractor. :confuse: I don't think that this is due to fading and sun exposure. However, I am fond of both shades of green.:smile1:

- Mark

Hoods.jpg

#10 rammer OFFLINE  

rammer

• Member No: 2057
  • 9 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 08:03 PM

JDelfman,
thanks for that tip on the color of the primer. This summer, i had restored a Brinly plow and cultivator using the grey primer and after applying the IH white, they looked great. I also painted a grey primered pan seat (from a RF) with JD yellow and it turned out lousy. I'm gonna blast it again, then will try the red/brown primer and will let you know how it turns out.

BTW - JD paint is NOT cheap!

Thanks again,
Tom (rammer)

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 1,378 Thanks
  • 2,460 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I have noticed this difference on my RFs and the 120. I have considered the antique green for the RF but can't decide. The 120 will get the ag green... I think.

As rammer said, the red primer makes tons of difference under the yellow. I learned this after I purchased the paint to finish my 110 model 38 deck.

#12 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7141
  • 74 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Mark- That picture is a real good example. Don't know which shade I prefer. Glad I'm not painting anything that would require me making a choice.

#13 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 09:18 AM

JDelfman,
thanks for that tip on the color of the primer. This summer, i had restored a Brinly plow and cultivator using the grey primer and after applying the IH white, they looked great. I also painted a grey primered pan seat (from a RF) with JD yellow and it turned out lousy. I'm gonna blast it again, then will try the red/brown primer and will let you know how it turns out.

BTW - JD paint is NOT cheap!

Thanks again,
Tom (rammer)

Hey Tom, I agree about the painting tips, having to repaint is a bit discouraging, avoiding the pitfalls is beneficial. Please post pictures when you have them.

Regards,

- Mark

#14 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• 193 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 09:20 AM

I have noticed this difference on my RFs and the 120. I have considered the antique green for the RF but can't decide. The 120 will get the ag green... I think.

As rammer said, the red primer makes tons of difference under the yellow. I learned this after I purchased the paint to finish my 110 model 38 deck.

Hey Travis, I am leaning towards the ag green myself. I will definitely use the red/brown primer under the yellow.

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 1,378 Thanks
  • 2,460 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 11:27 AM

Mark,

I am with you. I do believe the color difference is related to long term exposure to direct light - especially in the case of my 120. At one time it served as a dedicated snow machine with a cab mounted on it. I would guess it sat out with the cab installed and thus the faded color. From what you shared I would guess your 140 had a similar history of use.

As for the '66 110 - It's a typical run-of-the-mill 110 that is a dime-a-dozen. It might get the antique green... because I can. :-D
  • johndeereelfman said thank you