• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cgreininger1s OFFLINE  

cgreininger1s

• Member No: 5237
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 04:09 PM

I am trying to fix the brakes on my 330. The rear differential axle seals are leaking causing the brake shoes and drums to be covered in transmission fluid, which causes the brakes to not work. I have ordered the differential axle seals and brake shoes. I am planning on beginning the repair on October 13 and/or 14. From my research and looking at the differential on my 330, it appears that the drawbar, differential, axle tubes, hubs, etc. are all bolted to the frame via the differential. Does this mean that I have to drop the entire differential, transmission, etc. to replace the axle seals? Is there anything else that I should know before beginning this repair? Thanks in advance. I am only 18 and my Dad does not really know anything about my tractor, therefore, all knowledge and/or comments are appreciated.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 04:16 PM

cg, First off WELCOME to GTtalk, glad you joined us. If you will look in the manual section, you will see the 318 repair manual. Download it, the 330 is the diesel version of the 318 and all the repair info will work on your machine, except the engine.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 07:06 PM

One thing to check is to make sure your hydro is properly vented. If the vent isn't working, pressure will build up inside the case and blow oil out through the weakest spot, which in older tractors is usually the axle seals. I had this happen to me on a 314 this summer. So check this first before tearing into it. Mine haven't leaked a drop since I fixed the vent.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 10:03 AM

There is now the manual for your tractor in the manual section. Good Luck and keep us posted....

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 10:39 AM

I need to put a new seal in one side of my JF F935 mowing machine (same diff as yours) and never done it on a JD yet, but pretty sure all is down easily with diff still in frame. Should be right under the brake backing plate.

#6 cgreininger1s OFFLINE  

cgreininger1s

• 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Brian,

I don't know where the hydro vent is located. Could you help me to locate it? Or anyone else know where the hydro vent is?

Thanks.
Caleb

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 03:30 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk Caleb. I'm not sure where the vent is on a 330. I think the hydro is the same as a 318. One way to tell if you have a venting problem is to remove the fill tube cap immediately after you shut off the tractor. If there is pressure released when you loosen the cap you could have a venting problem. I had trouble finding info about the vent in my 314. Someone here will know where it is on a 318/330. It is worth checking before you launch into a repair.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 03:34 PM

I just checked back on the thread where I was having trouble with mine. The link is below. In the 4th post down there is info. on the 318 vent. I hope this helps.
http://gardentractor...ilter-not-6695/

#9 cgreininger1s OFFLINE  

cgreininger1s

• 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Brian

#10 cgreininger1s OFFLINE  

cgreininger1s

• 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 01:51 PM

photo(1).jpg The picture on the left is when I had completed the brake repairs. The picture on the right is when I did have to drop the transmission to replace the axle seals. The repair was successful. Thanks to all who provided their two cents. All the help came in handy at one point or another.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.jpg

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 03:58 PM

Glad you got it repaired. I need to correct myself for others (you already know) that the seal resides in the diff center housing, NOT under the brake backing plate like I said in an earlier post. But when I put new seals in my JD F935, I think I'll just pull the axle tubes off one at a time instead of pulling the entire rear end out. It's more a pain on the 935 than normal JD tractors to pull the whole assembly out.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 21, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Glad you Got R Done. Seeing your 330 with the rear end off reveals how large the frame is on those tractors. Pretty impressive build quality.