• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Well, my daughter won the state essay, now today happened the bad. My son Josh always pushes the limit with dirt bikes & 4 wheelers. Today he was riding his new purchase, a sport 450 Kawasaki 4 wheeler. I tried my best to talk him into buying a utility 4 wheeler instead, but he ignored my words of wisdom (learned the hard way). Today he simply blipped the throttle while riding on an off camber turn and it fishtailed, the tires hooked up. It twisted him then threw him off like a bucking bull. He landed on his shoulder HARD. I was in the middle of milking & ran up there. He still hadn't gotten up due to the pain. Couldn't move his left arm at all, and may have busted a rib or 2 on his right side....hurts bad to breathe deep. We have nobody to relief milk, so his friend up the road 1/4 mile took him to the hospital. His wife called to let us know they are going to x-ray him from stem to stern & will let us know asap what if anything is broken. This is the 5th time he's busted himself on the things, and always at a crucial farming time. Yeah, I might sound hard about the work, but it's HIS living too, and he needs to learn his responsibilities. He has his wife & baby to consider now...not like he's a teen anymore. I know he's gonna be out at least a few days, and we HAVE to start chopping wheat Wednesday, so we're up a creek without a paddle possibly. Calves are hitting the ground like rain, vet check Tuesday morning, I have (did have) a doctor's appt Wednesday morning, then start chopping after lunch. Soon as the wheat is off, corn to plant/spray in that field. Looks like no days off for me for a while. Even if he has no broken bones, he's gonna be hurting for a while. He "may" be able to drive the truck to haul the silage since his right arm/hand is ok and could drive/shift with one arm. He always drives the silage truck like he's racing, but if he can do it next week, I guarantee he'll drive sensible this time! I know one thing, the pain he has now is nothing compared to what his wife Julianne is gonna do to him! I am surely happy he's not hurt bad, but bad enough as it is. Maybe the upteenth time will be the charm for teaching him a valuable lesson. You'll still see me on here, but not as much. I'll be working from 6 to 8 for a while.
Sorry for the winded post, but sometimes ya just hafta vent a bit when life throws you a curve ball.

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Sorry to hear about all this, Daniel... bad timing for sure! Maybe all the pain your son is having will turn out some wisdom. I know things get harder when a member of the farming crew is out of commission. I wish you the best and be careful working.

BILL

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 08:09 PM

Sorry to hear about all this, Daniel... bad timing for sure! Maybe all the pain your son is having will turn out some wisdom. I know things get harder when a member of the farming crew is out of commission. I wish you the best and be careful working.

BILL

:ditto: very well said
Sorry to hear about this happening Daniel

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 08:40 PM

:ditto: very well said
Sorry to hear about this happening Daniel

Well, this isn't his first rodeo, about the 5th I'd say. I do know he doesn't bounce like he did when smaller. He's a bit over 6' and about 200lbs. Just got a call from him & he's on his way home, NO broken bones at all, just BAD bruising. They gave him a shot for pain & he feels like he's gonna pass out & getting him sick in his stomach. He should be moving by time we HAVE to have another hand, so work will get done...well, the work gets done either way, but this will make things easier. I don't think his wife plans to make things easier for him. He said he's gonna sell it & get a Honda Foreman. Would be a wise move. I know one thing...he's gonna be sore as heck when he wakes up tomorrow!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Good to hear there were no broken Bones......

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 09:20 PM

BTW...when I was 15yrs old, coming home from a friend's down a gravel road, I was on my Honda SL125 doing about 50 to 55 at night & center-punched a BIG Blue Healer coon hound. Killed him dead and I slid down the road 100' or so. Impacted my shoulder just like my son did, and bluejeans grinding in the road wore all the skin off a softball size patch on my left hip. Took over 2yrs for my shoulder to stop hurting, but I had to hang 5 acres of tobacco the week after I crashed. My son is lucky we aren't fixing to hang tobacco! It hurt like "you know what", but it got in the barn! BTW again.....I never let go of my Honda....it was almost new! LOL

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 30, 2010 - 10:12 PM

Sorry to hear of your son's crash Daniel. Glad that nothing is broken. The pain of the next couple days may speak some wisdom to you son.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 01, 2010 - 04:28 PM

Sorry to hear of your son's crash Daniel. Glad that nothing is broken. The pain of the next couple days may speak some wisdom to you son.

Hope he gets well soon are you work it OFF

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 01, 2010 - 07:17 PM

Sorry to hear of your son's crash Daniel. Glad that nothing is broken.

:ditto:

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 01:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the crash off the 4 wheeler. I did that doing donuts one time but it wasn't as bad as how he hit. As he gets older it will take less for him to learn his lessons the hard way. Hopefully he heals up quickly. If you ever are in a bind I would come down and help out a couple days. Just gotta give me a little notice :D

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 05:24 PM

He's sore, but back to milking & other things that he can stand to do. He had to borrow my JD935 to mow his yard today. He can't extend his arm on that shoulder to drive his ZTR. JD has a spinner on the steering wheel, so easy for him to operate.

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Made me hurt just reading about this! I'm glad to hear nothing worse happened. I'm familiar with the work you do.... My dad's side of the family are dairy farmers, most of them in far-western NY. When I was in Jr. High and High School, I spent my summers on their farms. Hardest work I've ever done, but definitely rewarding and a good place to learn LOTS of stuff! A 2nd cousin, who is 9-10 years younger than me, has moved in the last year from NY to west TX! He's still milking 1000 in NY, trying to sell that dairy, while they are running another in TX, milking 1400 there! We stopped and saw them last Saturday, and they were chopping a 1000-acre field of triticale (is that how you spell it???)

My hat's off to you FARMERS!!!!! (I wish I lived closer so I could talk you out of some raw milk!!!)

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 05:48 PM

A 2nd cousin, who is 9-10 years younger than me, has moved in the last year from NY to west TX! He's still milking 1000 in NY, trying to sell that dairy, while they are running another in TX, milking 1400 there! We stopped and saw them last Saturday, and they were chopping a 1000-acre field of triticale (is that how you spell it???)

About forgot about triticale! Yes, you spelled it right. We raised it many years ago, but haven't since. It did pretty good, but we just go with winter wheat now. No way in heck I'd milk over 100 cows! But then we hire no help, so no way I could if I wanted to.
My son wasn't going terribly fast, maybe 25, but less speed than that can kill you instantly. Side of his head is sore too...no helmet on. If it had flipped him the opposite direction, he'd have landed on the blacktop, but he got tossed into lush alfalfa, so that saved his hide!

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 05:56 PM

No way in heck I'd milk over 100 cows!

It's a big operation. The ones I worked on were probably your size.... just about as much as two people would want to handle on any given day. My uncle milked 50-60, and his sons had a farm up the road where they milked 80-90.

That experience probably scarred me for life!!!