Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

JD 110 w/ 38" mower deck. need custom deck part?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• Member No: 6700
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 08:47 PM

A mechanic I know told me that there used to be a custom repair kit available (not sold by JD) to repair the receiver on my mower deck. It is part of the deck that receives the bearing for the main drive sheaves on the mower deck. The aftermarket kit would look something like a small rectangle of steel (3"x5" approx.) with a round receiver that the post bearing is pressed into, then the 2 pulleys (sheaves) are pressed on to the bearing. Does anyone know anything about this kit?

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Welcome! Would love to help you but some clarification would help. What year is your 110? Round fender or flat fender?

I have never heard of the referenced replacement parts but that does not say much...

If I have found the correct deck what part number is it in this picture?

Posted Image

#3 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 04:59 AM

It is a 66 Round fender. the part is not listed in any reference manuals because it is not an OEM part. Someone, independent from John Deere made and sold the part...or so I'm told.

#4 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 05:26 AM

How do I find the exploded view parts manual (like the image above)...I've tried to search but can't figure it out. I can better explain myself with a different page from that manual.

thanks for your help!

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 04:18 PM

I know it is an aftermarket part. I was hoping the diagram would help you identify the area/part in question.

The diagram above is hot-linked from www.jdparts.com

1. Click link --> John Deere - Parts Catalog
2. Select the "Exact Model Search" box on the upper left side of the page
3. Enter model number in question (38 for the deck or 110 for tractor)
4. In list select "876 - 38 Tractor-mounted mower" for your model deck (NOTE - you want deck for serial - 100,000)
5. look around until your heart is content. I like looking at the alphabetical listing of parts.

Here is another shot of the top of the deck:
Posted Image

#6 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:54 AM

M12366_________UN01JAN94.jpg

Thanks, this photo shows it, kinda...I called out the location of the part on the diagram.

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:00 AM

I do not know of any replacements of the deck you have. That piece is swedged in place and it takes much force to remove it if needed. wfm.com has a fair amount of discussion about this part. I am restoring a model 38 deck for the '67 in my signature and I left the pulley installed for sandblasting, repair and paint.

#8 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for your help. The bearing is shot and the "receiver" (I'm not sure what it's called) on the deck is damaged beyond repair. the new bearing will not press into the deck and fit tightly. It looks like the "receiver" part on the deck now is a replacement of the original, but I'm not sure. I know I could have the piece made at a machine shop, so I may have to go that route...or just get a newer mower. The link you gave me above doesn't go anywhere, is it missing some info?

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:32 AM

Options for decks on the RF tractors are limited - Easiest options: another 38 for the 110 OR find a 47 along with the PTO/drive set-up and swap it to the 110.

The newer decks off of the 1968+ 110/112 will work but there is a special pulley and other things needed to swap over. I do not have that info handy but will look for it later.

I would think any machine shop would be able to fab something up that would work and could do it fairly reasonably. I have some ideas but am poor a explaining things...

Which link did not work? What post # in the thread?

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 11:07 AM

Here are some pics of my deck before and after sandblasting for reference. Note the double pulley that was not removed. Is this the piece you are talking about?

110 deck after.jpg

This pic shows the bottom.
110 bottom b4.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 110 deck b4.jpg

#11 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Yes, the round collar piece on the deck that the double pulley bearing presses into is damaged. Yours looks original, a round part inserted into the deck. Mine has a (presumably) after-market part installed. It is basically a rectangle piece of steel with a replacement collar integrated into it and then tack welded into the bottom of the frame to take the place of the old part. (taking a picture would probably be easier than trying to explain this...) You're right about the fab shop. I know I can have this made. I just know that if it is available somewhere it may be less expensive than having just 1 made.

The wfm.com link led nowhere...

Thanks for the tips on retro fits. There is a lawnmower graveyard near me, i'll have to check out my options there.

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:46 AM

How goes your project?

#13 jeremypc110 OFFLINE  

jeremypc110

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 02:39 PM

work has been postponed (read: I've gotten really busy at work and have "forgotten" about this project for now). thanks for asking though. I hope to have the part machined and installed soon so I can install the new bearings and get ready to mow...next spring.

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 03:22 PM

No worries here. My extra RF Model 38 deck has been waiting for paint about a year now...

#15 sheilamonster69 OFFLINE  

sheilamonster69
  • Member No: 10669
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 25, 2012 - 09:55 AM

I know it is an aftermarket part. I was hoping the diagram would help you identify the area/part in question.

The diagram above is hot-linked from www.jdparts.com

1. Click link --> John Deere - Parts Catalog
2. Select the "Exact Model Search" box on the upper left side of the page
3. Enter model number in question (38 for the deck or 110 for tractor)
4. In list select "876 - 38 Tractor-mounted mower" for your model deck (NOTE - you want deck for serial - 100,000)
5. look around until your heart is content. I like looking at the alphabetical listing of parts.

Here is another shot of the top of the deck:
Posted Image

Hello. I need some help with a very old 110 model. My dad passed away and we have no idea what year it is but I see the tension bar and spring in question in your diagram. We replaced the belt which popped off and now the spring is rubbing against the pulley and throwing sparks. I am wondering if maybe a part was lost when the belt popped off? Should some decks have another shorter spring to balance the tension pulley? Any advice would be appreciated.