• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• Member No: 1277
  • 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 12:52 PM

So it's one step up from a garden tractor, but now what the hell do i do with it!!
I traded a MF 1200 for it. I know nothing about it other than it is a Massey Harris. Vin# is 21GIRF1554. Which is all greek to me! The last owner started to change it to a 12 volt system and got messed up. Now i have to start all over and get it running. Hoping to get rid of it for another garden tractor!!:wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.jpg
  • 003.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 01:04 PM

I would like to see more pictures of it. What is the engine in it?

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 01:11 PM

Appears to be Massey Harris from the top hood panel. Looks like the motor may have been changed. The rear end look a bit like a 101.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 01:14 PM

It could have had a Chrysler, or Continental, or I think maybe one other brand engine.

#5 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 01:18 PM

From what I remember the 101/102s had the Chrysler/Continental motors.

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Congrats on your new MH Colt

That is one of the more sought after of the smaller MH tractors.

21GIRF1554= 21: model 21 or "Colt", G= gas, 1 (not I) = altitude 1 or STD altitude, r= row crop ( I'll get back to that), F= foot clutch, then the serial.

The later (53ish) and on MH tractors in this series, stopped calling just narrow front "Row Crop" and used the same designation for adjustable front ends. I have (somewhere) a data book that will give me year for you. I know it came with a F124 continental engine. Live power was an optional lever on these, if you don't have it, use an over run clutch to use any implements with, especially brush hogs.

History: one of the most famous MH tractors was the model 20. From 46 to 48, they were popular and prolific. The replacement was the model 22, with a larger engine and better brakes.
The model 21 was the updated version, reincarnated of the 20. Then they came out with the 23 (Mustang) which was a rebranded 22, essentially.

MH collectors usually search for the "Horses". Pony, Gray Pony, Pacer, Colt, & Mustang.

Edit: it's a 1953, they only made them for 2 yrs, maybe 3, depending who you ask.

Apart from the seat, added frame pieces, and steering wheel, it's pretty good looking. Do some research on what it might fetch before you trade it for anything.

Edited by MH81, October 04, 2011 - 08:05 PM.

• mf14a, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#7 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 01:20 AM

I would like to see more pictures of it. What is the engine in it?

I will be posting for pics ( If it ever stops raining here!!). The engine from what i can tell is a Continential F124.

Edited by mf14a, October 05, 2011 - 01:26 AM.

#8 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 01:23 AM

Congrats on your new MH Colt

That is one of the more sought after of the smaller MH tractors.

21GIRF1554= 21: model 21 or "Colt", G= gas, 1 (not I) = altitude 1 or STD altitude, r= row crop ( I'll get back to that), F= foot clutch, then the serial.

The later (53ish) and on MH tractors in this series, stopped calling just narrow front "Row Crop" and used the same designation for adjustable front ends. I have (somewhere) a data book that will give me year for you. I know it came with a F124 continental engine. Live power was an optional lever on these, if you don't have it, use an over run clutch to use any implements with, especially brush hogs.

History: one of the most famous MH tractors was the model 20. From 46 to 48, they were popular and prolific. The replacement was the model 22, with a larger engine and better brakes.
The model 21 was the updated version, reincarnated of the 20. Then they came out with the 23 (Mustang) which was a rebranded 22, essentially.

MH collectors usually search for the "Horses". Pony, Gray Pony, Pacer, Colt, & Mustang.

Edit: it's a 1953, they only made them for 2 yrs, maybe 3, depending who you ask.

Apart from the seat, added frame pieces, and steering wheel, it's pretty good looking. Do some research on what it might fetch before you trade it for anything.

You are a fountain of very helpful info!! I thank you very much. I seached everywhere trying to get a break down of that, with no luck. Again, Thank you.

You said about the "live" PTO, sorry this is a new step for me. There is a little lever just behind the gear shift that locks the pto in and out. Is that what you mean by a "live" pto?

Edited by mf14a, October 05, 2011 - 01:32 AM.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 06:54 AM

You are a fountain of very helpful info!! I thank you very much. I seached everywhere trying to get a break down of that, with no luck. Again, Thank you.

You said about the "live" PTO, sorry this is a new step for me. There is a little lever just behind the gear shift that locks the pto in and out. Is that what you mean by a "live" pto?

No problem, always willing to share accumulated (sometimes worthless) knowledge. LOL

Live PTO on this style of machine is kind of interesting. The PTOs on these only work with the clutch, so if you need to stop moving, but keep the PTO going (say when bailing) you have to bump it out of gear. The "live" PTO add on is a piece that actually disengages one of the Axles so it won't drive. We have one on a 30, and haven't ever seen one on anything smaller than that, but a collector way smarter than me told me they were available aftermarket. If it doesn't have one, and you run a brushog, it will push you after you push in the clutch. Very dangerous without an overide adapter. It doesn't sound like you're going to use it, just be careful if you decide to play. The lever you are talking about is the regular PTO engagement.

It does have hydraulics, it was a very common option on these. The pump is bolted on the front of the engine next to the radiator and runs off the same gears as the governor. Pump is big enough to run 3 point, but not big enough to do much more than that. I had a friend in HS that ran a small backhoe on one, pressure was fine, flow was very slow.

Edited by MH81, October 06, 2011 - 05:41 AM.
Spelling

#10 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 01:21 AM

No problem, always willing to share accumulated (sometimes worthless) knowledge. LOL

Live PTO on this style of machine is kind of interesting. The PTOs on these only work with the clutch, so if you need to stop moving, but keep the PTO going (say when bailing) you have to bump it out of gear. The "live" PTO add on is a piece that actually disengages one of the Axles so it won't drive. We have on on a 30, and haven't ever seen one on anything smaller than that, but a collector way smarter than me told me they were available aftermarket. If it doesn't have one, and you run a brushog, it will push you after you push in the clutch. Very dangerous without an overide adapter. It doesn't sound like you're going to use it, just be careful if you decide to play. The lever you are talking about is the regular PTO engagement.

It does have hydraulics, it was a very common option on these. The pump is bolted on the front of the engine next to the radiator and runs off the same gears as the governor. Pump is big enough to run 3 point, but not big enough to do much more than that. I had a friend in HS that ran a small backhoe on one, pressure was fine, flow was very slow.

Thanks again for all your help. I don't really have plans on using it......yet. But time will tell.
First is to start the fix up!:worshippy1: Thanks a bunch.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Just wondering how you were making out with it?

#12 mf14a OFFLINE  

mf14a

• 6 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:17 PM

made out pretty good with it. Got it running great, painted than had a guy stop one day i was out with it and made me an offer i couldn't refuse!! Sold. Now i'm back home and going to start back on the garden tractors.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Good news you got what you wanted out of it. What GT stuff did you buy? LOL