• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Gonna tear into my cast iron Kohler (K301, 12hp).......So far, it looks like I need a rod, had a bit of a knock.......Looking at these kits on Ebay....heres an example

ENGINE REBUILD KIT FOR KOHLER K301 12HP FREE TUNE UP | eBay

Anyone have any experience with these kits, from this guy or others?...pros...cons
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Yes. I bought one about a year ago from ebay for a 16hp kohler for our 316K. Wasn't that guy, but one of the others - don't remember the name at the moment. Same type of thing - bought the basic kit and added a rod because I had to have the crank journal ground smooth.

Can't complain about the transaction or parts. Everything worked ok. My machne shop didn't complain about the parts. Just look at the guys feedback and comments - make sure he has been on the site for a while and has no/few negative comments. There are/were about 5 different venders that had my parts at pretty much the same price. Look around though - there was quite a difference in how much you could get the stuff for. Good luck!
  • poncho62 and MH81 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:06 PM

This vendor may be the answer to my Kohler on my Troy built tiller.

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:32 PM

check your valves before you order. You might need the valves, too. Looks like the same guys said the kit with valves for around $104 plus $10 shipping
keeps us posted how it goes
  • poncho62 said thank you

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yea, I forgot to mention the valves/guides. If you are having machine work done anyway, usually the shop can match your new valves in and grind/lap the seats for a few extra bucks. Some kits come with valves, others are a add on. Same with your guides - easy to replace while the block is apart and in the shop. IF your guides are worn, new valves won't do a lot of good. Easy to replace in the Kohlers, but they have to be reamed to your valves.

For the few extra bucks, I replaced both valves and guides (one valve was bad, one guide on the edge of tolerance). Unless you are just doing a quick fix, it makes sense to not cut corners. The iron Kohlers will last forever if cared for.
  • poncho62 said thank you