• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:12 AM

Here it is, without it's mower since I wasn't able to bring both at the same time.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

About 2 hours later...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I am not starting a restoration already. The current plan is to clean it as much as I can to be able of touching it without being dirty all over myself and make it work properly. I will restore the electrical wiring and wrap it in split wire loom. I would also like to find the OEM snow thrower for this winter.

This tractor is (to me) amazingly well built and easy to work on... At least compared with the JD214.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1836.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:23 AM

Mac, I moved your post over to the Massey forum so that the Massey guys will see it better in it's own thread. Very nice 1655 by the way, should be a real worker for you.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 12:38 PM

Ok Brian,I just re-posted over here.

Those are well built tractors.I have one just like it,and am well pleased with it.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Good looking tractor, and good plan. Clean it up, fix the obvious, and then got back at it later.

Thanks for the pictures.

I'd never seen inside the body of a 1655. Interesting, how they put those horizontal flat bar engine mounts in.
I take it, that the reason they're there, is just to allow for the mounting of the engine. Nothing to do with structural strength?

#5 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 09:09 PM

IamSherwood: you are right, those black flatbars are for the engine (the engine is straight on them and they are on rubber mounts on the frame) but they also hold the pulleys/bearing for the shaft that goes to the hydraulic pump.

I will post more pictures tomorrow tonight I continued disassembling some parts and I power washed everything with Simple Green degreaser. It was kinda funny to see the tractor standing on its rear wheels only, the 2 fronts one being a bit over my head in height. I started reassembling the tractor and tomorrow a friend of mine who's job is to repair heavy machinery will come and take a look at it to look if something is not right with the hydraulics (I never worked on that)

Does someone know how the "speed settings" lever work? It's the lever on the lower right of the console, near the brake pedal. At the lower setting it's the parking brake but all the other settings doesn't look like moving anything? What is it supposed to do? How does it work?

#6 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Here are the pictures of yesterday

Posted Image

Funny to see it like that. The 17" wheel was to prevent the tractor from falling back in case of wind... But nothing moved

Being the not-the-strongest-around it was really on the limit of what I can lift off the ground. 10 more pounds and I wasn't able! I even had to place ramps under the wheels before lifting it. It was also funny to move the tractor around with the front wheel off the ground like it was a wheelbarrow (also faster than messing with the front wheels without steering control)

Posted Image
Posted Image

The engine mount with the shaft to the hydraulic pump

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And I started reassembling it. I greased every metal-on-metal spots with white grease to prevent rust and greased every pivot points with bearing grease. Small parts have been sprayed with Wurth HHS2000 including the universal joint before the pump's fan.

Posted Image

That's the AFTER picture ! (before is on previous post)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I will have to get new belts for front and rear PTO's... front are near tearing point and rear were both missing.

Next step will be to paint the battery tray with POR15. I hate rusted metal and I will make sure it doesn't rust more than it is already.

I will need a grease gun! I didn't knew this tractor had zerks they were buried in grease/debris/grass.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the pictures. You're moving right along. Should be out mowing soon.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Great pictures ! Seems to be a very well made tractor I wouldn't mind having one of those , Al

#9 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:47 AM

IamSherwood: you are right, those black flatbars are for the engine (the engine is straight on them and they are on rubber mounts on the frame) but they also hold the pulleys/bearing for the shaft that goes to the hydraulic pump.

I will post more pictures tomorrow tonight I continued disassembling some parts and I power washed everything with Simple Green degreaser. It was kinda funny to see the tractor standing on its rear wheels only, the 2 fronts one being a bit over my head in height. I started reassembling the tractor and tomorrow a friend of mine who's job is to repair heavy machinery will come and take a look at it to look if something is not right with the hydraulics (I never worked on that)

Does someone know how the "speed settings" lever work? It's the lever on the lower right of the console, near the brake pedal. At the lower setting it's the parking brake but all the other settings doesn't look like moving anything? What is it supposed to do? How does it work?

The speed controll is a Mechanical limit on the linkage that controlls the forward and backward motion of the pedal. hope that helps Shawn