Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Tow Behind Tiller to Sleeve Hitch

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MarcGT6000 OFFLINE  

MarcGT6000

• Member No: 6672
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I am sure many of us like to make it better...
I have a Craftsman 36" Tow Behind Tiller that I would like to work with a power Sleeve Hitch on my GT6000.
I have the old Craftsman Sleeve Hitch Tiller Manual and the units look very similar.
Would I be able to convert the tow behind?
Anyone done this?

Marc

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 14,639 Thanks
  • 21,461 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:25 AM

I am assuming you mean take the engine off the tow behind and run it from the engine via belt. I assume you could do it, but your pulley ratios would need to be right and all the belt routing idlers under the tractor would almost require a Bachelors in Geometry.

Will the sleeve hitch raise the tiller with the engine on the unit? If so, you'd be somewhat ahead to do it that way...

#3 MarcGT6000 OFFLINE  

MarcGT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Nope -- Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to use the tow behind tiller as is with its own motor and just hook to the sleeve hitch to engage and disengage with the ground instead of the current lever on the tiller.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,639 Thanks
  • 21,461 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Should work depending on the hitch mods and lift capabilities of your sleeve hitch.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,388 Thanks
  • 12,595 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:57 PM

You would have to make sure the mount was strong enough to take the stress of being lifted by the tractor. Do you think your hitch would lift that much weight? Some pictures of the tiller might help people see your dilemma.

#6 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 42 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 10:18 PM

That Little 5Hp tiller would easly work on a Sleeve Hitch The Original Tiller that Sears Use to sell was 8hp. Kind of wish Agri-Fab The still made That One Myself Just Because You have a Little More Control with it Vrs the 5Hp You need more space to turn. But if You didn't have that tiller already I would Have suggested investing in a Bercomac PTO tiller which Sears is selling Now Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more I haven't personally done that But Have seen the conversion done on other forums with the 5Hp tiller:thumbs:

#7 MarcGT6000 OFFLINE  

MarcGT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Yep it'd the 36" 5HP tiller bought cheap withe the tractor as a package.
Good question on the sleeve hitch... I have the sears hitch with electric lift. It will lift the back of the tractor... More than I can do :-).
The tow assembly looks pretty hefty and I would rather learn from others then make a mistake myself.

#8 MarcGT6000 OFFLINE  

MarcGT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:38 AM

BTW - I like the idea of the Bercomac... Pricey and I'm not a big fan of removing my mower deck... Hence the reason the snow blades sits and rusts...

#9 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 42 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 07:09 PM

BTW - I like the idea of the Bercomac... Pricey and I'm not a big fan of removing my mower deck... Hence the reason the snow blades sits and rusts...

Well That why You can always Get a 2nd Tractor for Mowing One of the reasons I Bought my Deere was so I could Have a tractor where I could Leave the deck on with the Loader My White with a Loader The deck has to Be removed. But for tilling work I would Not want a Mowing deck On Myself anyways:thumbs:

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 854 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 07:49 PM

One thing you may have to take a look at is the angle of the tiller engine while it is lifted out of the ground.
The B&S engine has a limited amount of oil in it and with the splash lubrication you may end up in trouble.
  • ducky and MH81 have said thanks

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 2,043 Thanks
  • 3,289 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:11 PM

:yeah_that:
This is an excellent point and worth looking into. Oil starvation is a nasty thing.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,639 Thanks
  • 21,461 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Great thought! Be a shame to go thru the work, just to scrap the engine on the first lift-out.

#13 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 748 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 09:30 AM

That is good information. Hate scrap the engine one the way to the garden.

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 12,461 Thanks
  • 26,067 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:19 PM

The two wheel tillers a meant to be tilted some so you can change direction. If you set your hitch to a similar angle, you should be fine.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 2,538 Thanks
  • 3,146 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Know I'm late to the party, but have been toying around with how to hook a self powered tiller to my Murry Yard King.
And the dipper motor angle could certainly be an issue. You can defineately pull the tiller with the sleeve hitch.
Have you looked at the DR Power Roto-Hog yet? By using a wheeled carriage, with an actuator lift. You could keep the engine level and have infineate depth control.
On another site, I saw a guy had taken two walk behind tillers and linked them together (twin Engine) and hoked to a (Kubota G?).
There is always a way to make it work!