48 replies to this topic

#1 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:15 PM

This weekend at Steamorama, I had the chance to have a group discussion with a few of our GTTALK brethren, now I'm not mentioning any names because i don't know how deep this conspiracy goes.
What is this evil i speak of you ask? It' the international garden tractor collector, and i'm not talking about international harvester. Now i will admit that i've brought a few tractors accross the state line, since we are only 14 miles from MD.
But it has been brought to my attention that some of our friends are not only buying tractors from accross time lines but are even bringing them down from our friends to the great white north!
Now my question to everyone is how far have you gone for a tractor and should we embrace these high rollers or does George have a problem?, did i say that out loud ?

#2 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:39 PM

My town and country came from canada.It is all about the conections when you starting have friends all over the place it open ups how far you can buy.You where looking into buying parts in Indiana.Later Josh

#3 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:41 PM

You must be bored.Road trips for tractors is always fun.Can we say ROAD TRIP.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:48 PM

I hear George may be needing a passport to get into Canada soon. If he doesn't, then I'll have to! LOL
Furthest I've went is 760 miles round trip. I've made 2 trips that distance, one north of me, one south. Many many more around 400+ miles round trip.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:56 PM

For me the limit used to be 4 to 6 hours one way, but now that I have too many, that distance is within an hour (or Bob's lol).

#6 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:10 PM

I have Search Tempest set at 150 miles. I may not always find what I'm looking for in that radius right away, but sooner or later it'll be there. It would have to be a pretty special deal for me to go further.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:33 PM

The longest distance I have travelled is about a 2 hour round trip,when I went and bought my 1961 Cub Cadet.

#8 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 03:39 PM

We live in north west Michigan and we have driven to south east Ohio ( about 660 miles one way ) and into Illinois ( about 540 miles one way ).

For us, going out of state to get a tractor is a little vacation.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:04 PM

It's not that I'm against traveling distances to get tractors that has kept it from happening. At this point in my life, I simply do not have the time or the resources to do it.

#10 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:13 PM

OK HALFESCALE You should have put the hidden subject line in there {How crazy are you and how many of you are there}:bigrofl:OK I'll bite I went to Little G for me that is like 989 miles one way
How is that did I win a prize

Kenny

#11 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• Member No: 6187
  • 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:32 PM

I've just recently been bitten by the GT bug. I told myself 50-75 miles one way is the limit. I'm sure I'll increase that considerably now.
I know I've gone all over the country looking at old cars, this is no different. I'm sure with all, condition, rarity, price are factors. :wallbanging:

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I've made 2 big trips. Both about 6-7 hours each way. Was something I really wanted, and a chance to get away from work.

I have a question.
Has anyone ever made a really big trip, only to be very dissapointed when you finally see the treasure?
Or worse yet, been denied picking up the tractor.

I heard a story a few years ago from a fellow who drove from up here in Can. about 9 hrs south of the border to pick up
a tractor he had won on ebay. Can't recall what it was, or where, but when he got there he was greeted by
the tractor owner holding a shot gun, who told him to leave. The price was to low.

Now that would be a bummer. It sure would be a huge task to try to deal with that legally, especially being across the border.
It sure would have to be something special. I felt for the guy, and swore to myself, I would never do that kinda thing to
anyone. VBG

#13 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:42 PM

I have drove 4hours one way for a tractor and did not buy it.

#14 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:51 PM

How far might just depend on how BAD YOU want it and how much money you have to spend, And if you have friends that can help make the connections. and Depends on what GT it is and again how bad you want it.

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:58 PM

6 or 7 hrs?? thats only to get the truck warmed up. I've made several 13+ hr trips out. Gone to VA, WVA, PA, OH, MI,KS, WI. A short trip here is 24hrs out and back, ussally go straight though, load and straight back. all in one shot. Had one a few yrs back where i went out to Dayton,OH with the trailer, stopped and off loaded, everything into my truck, went on out to a show in WVA, stayed one day, came back to OH and loaded 5 suburbans and attachments on, then drove straight back home. I think it was over 1300mls one way. But how else you going to get them home???