• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:03 AM

I have a bunch of small potatoes that the wife doesnt want to peel....lazy biatch.....lol

Anyways, if I wanted to keep them as seed potatoes for next year, what would be my best bet?...I dont have a cold cellar

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:05 AM

Find somewhere to store them so they stay cool,but not freeze. By spring time you should have all kinds of eye's to use. I hope this helps, Good Luck...
  • poncho62 said thank you

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Thanks...I figured that....was wondering more what I store them in...cardboard box, with cardboard in between layers etc?....dont need that rotten potato smell though the house

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Dad always had them stored on a big screen frame from a window on the house. They were stacked up on the screen with nothing between them. That's the best I can answer for you ponocho ..
  • poncho62 said thank you

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thanks again...I actually have some of those laying around.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 12:36 PM

She does not need to peel them. Just scrub them up and drop them into a pot roast or stew. Take a look at the store and see the kind of money they get for those little potatoes and pearl onions! Those things are gold!! I too had a lot of them, in fact more than the wife thought she could used before they started to dry and shrink. So I gave 5 lbs to my parents. Like you I don't have a cellar to keep them over winter.

Another thought, if she cans stuff is to wash them up and stuff them in jars and can them.
When I was a kid(there were 7 of us kids), my parents bought cases of little canned potatoes. They called them Irish Potatoes.
Some pretty good stuff for a winter meal.
Shoot I can remember mom peeling potatoes, and then boiling the peels and making gravy out of the peelings.

As Hank JR. would say"A Country Boy Can Survive".

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Poncho did you ever miss digging up some potatoes and they sprouted up the following spring ? That happened to me last year and I have a few very potatoes . This year I took a few potatoes and ones that started to sprout allready and plant them . I'll post some pictures later , Al

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:52 AM

Can you use the potatoes from the bag you buy that are sprouting for plants? Or do you need to get seed potatoes?

#9 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 06:12 AM

Poncho did you ever miss digging up some potatoes and they sprouted up the following spring ? That happened to me last year and I have a few very potatoes . This year I took a few potatoes and ones that started to sprout allready and plant them . I'll post some pictures later , Al

Yes......always seem to miss a couple

Can you use the potatoes from the bag you buy that are sprouting for plants? Or do you need to get seed potatoes?

I have been told that seed potatoes have a better chance of not picking up diseases etc.....I am going to try a row with my small ones next year and compare
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thanks, Poncho. Hope I can get the garden spot changed around so I can try some.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 12:30 PM

Back when I grew 600 hill a year, I would average over 3000 lbs per year. After I had used them all winter and given away a lot!( had a sister in law with 8 children). I would have some left over in the spring and would plant them. They all grew. I did store them in a basement, cool dark room. No longer have that, so till I get a cellar built will use all I have.
Yes Kenny, Poncho is right, that seed potatoes suposedly resist various diseases.
What we don't know, but I suspect is that the potatoes we buy in the supermarket are sprayed with a chemical to retard sprouting?
But, seed potatoes are a relative new development. Grandad grew acres of potatoes from saved seed. Same is true for his field corn.
He always saved the biggest ears and shelled it by hand during the winter and used it for seed the next year. Iremember turning the crank on the hand sheller on sunday afternoons after dinner. Granted in the 40's & 50's he did not produce 200 bushels per acre. But the seed company and chemical companies did not get all his cash either?

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Here's the potatoes that I'm keeping in the garden overwinter , they were ones I nicked or where too small when I dug them up this summer , and the other picture is ones that came up from potatoes left in the garden last winter ,P7010302.jpg Al

Attached Thumbnails

• PA050243.jpg

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 10:36 AM

'Taters are funny things.... sometimes you get a great yield and other times hardly anything ?
I found that when I planted them in virgin garden soil they had the best yield. I'd plant maybe 3lbs and I would dig almost 75 lbs. Next year, same spot same amount and get maybe 25-30 lbs. ? A lot of work too when you don't get a good yield.

#14 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 03:13 PM

'Taters are funny things.... sometimes you get a great yield and other times hardly anything ?
I found that when I planted them in virgin garden soil they had the best yield. I'd plant maybe 3lbs and I would dig almost 75 lbs. Next year, same spot same amount and get maybe 25-30 lbs. ? A lot of work too when you don't get a good yield.

Thats why farmers rotate their crops....potatoes one year, corn the next etc.....different crops take different nutrients from the ground.....Try putting your potatoes in a different spot next year

#15 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 09:04 PM

try in er i mean under your bed !!LOL