sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have always rattle canned my projects ...but like many....was not pleased that the painted tended to be soft and easy to scratch/damage.

Going to try my hand with a paint gun........when I get a chance to use it will let show the results.....

Reason for my post....I bought the gun at harbor freight. Has 26 reviews and the majority are very favorable......normally $24.99....on sale for $15.99.....but with my coupon I received by email this morning....$9.99 ....bought 2....just in case.

Here is a link if anyone is interested....have to have the coupon to get the $9.99 deal
Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

#2 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Nice. Looks like a good deal if it works and not much of a loss if it doesn't. I'd like to hear your feedback on it after you have used it. I have a tractor asking to be restored but I want to do a better job than with a rattle can.
Cheers

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 08:40 PM

That may be the very same gun I used to paint Meangreen's JD430 Wednesday night. This is how the gun did..........DSC05624.jpg

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Daniel if it is the same gun....I hope I can do that good of a job using it! Nice work!

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 10:53 PM

Those are very nice guns for the $ and as good as some higher dollar units, trick is to keep it SPARKLING CLEAN...make sure to soak it in thinner when you're done and use 19 Piece Spray Gun Cleaning Kit

to make it look like you never touched it before...when you keep this gun super clean, you will be amazed at the results...GL
  • Bolens 1000, tractorman604, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I've got the coupon and I'll pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 11:16 PM

As a "veteran" painter, two suggestions

Once you get the gun, clean it before you use it. A lot of Harbor Freight stuff is saturated with oil. Which will make fish eyes on your paint surface if it gets in the paint.

Second. If you don't already have one, get an organic solvent resperator. There are a lot of nasty things in paint spray. Safety and health first!!!! Cover as much skin as you can (long sleeves, hat, rubber gloves, etc).

Then enjoy your new tool!!!!!

I usually "paint" a couple cardboard boxes with a new gun to get used to it - spray patterns, air feed, etc before I paint anything real.

PS - not to say I'm hard core, but I have a paint booth (air filters and all...) in my barn......
  • FirefyterEmt, Jasper, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 05:58 AM

Great advise above! Also, go to an auto body paint store and buy something called a "hair sock". Not just for keeping hair from getting into the paint (not something that I need to worry about) but to keep you from looking like a red-head (or worse, a martian!) Paint likes to stick to your hair and you really do not want to use thinner to wash your hair out!

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Paint likes to stick to your hair and you really do not want to use thinner to wash your hair out!

But it would give one the look of Doc Brown in "Back to the Future"! :bigrofl:

Good advice from TennBlue! :thumbs:

#10 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I agree with cleaning it well first. If your lucky it will have a tip size etched into it. 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 etc. Implement enamel is more viscous than automotive base coat so a 1.6 or larger is fine. The lower nob is volume and the upper is pattern. Pull the trigger all the way and thread back till there is no retention then turn in 3/4 a turn. Fan pattern 3/4 of the full pattern unless your spaying tight areas of the frame. Dial in an feather the trigger for that. The trigger has two stages. 1st is air 2nd is fluid. Play with it with thinner and learn how to release the trigger only to air at the end of the pass while fanning out. Use the same motion going back into the new pass. ( keeps runs away). Remember 50/50 passes, 8" away, and fan out then fan in and you'll have a slick paint job! Wet the floor to keep dust down. Always wear a respirator!
  • Alc, Lovintractorin and sacsr have said thanks

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the great advice!

Checked the sprayer nozzle is a 1.5 ......My intentions would be implements paints and repainting my lawn tractors......no intentions to repaint a vehicle any time soon.....way over my pay grade :-) or skill.

The 1.5 work for most of what I am doing??

#12 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 09:42 AM

When I started painting I bought a Binks #71 gun . I paid about125.00 for it. I now use Harbour Freight guns. If I am painting a garden tractor I use my H.F. touch up gun. It has a thumb trigger on it. I have been very pleased with it. btw the binks is gathering dust on the shelf. Binks makes a super gun, but I can get into smaller places with the smaller gun.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 09:53 AM

I wanted to use a high-build primer because I'm restoring something so rusty and had small pits after the sandblasting. Guy at the paint store said that HVLP guns will not work with the heavier paints/primers like the high-build... I'm not sure as I hadn't tried it. Happy so far with the 2 gun kit from home depot for $80 by Husky. May use it more some this weekend.

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 11:12 AM

How does one get a coupon code for even more discount? It would help justify the purchase LOL

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 11:51 AM

Travis, They must be talking about a coupon in one of the Sunday paper inserts, Redplumb or SmartSource. There should be a HF page in 1 of those books.

Or got it from a E-mail Coupon.