• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 09:56 PM

congrats dan, can't wait till you geterdone

I was going to fashion a flywheel screen from 1/8" rabbit wire, but decided to do a cleaner job. The engine has been ready for some time, but was waiting for the flywheel screen auction to end. Too much trouble to pull engine to install the screen later. When checking the screen auction I seen the same seller had the heat shields, so got them also.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Just won bids on a few parts to finish off the engine. I got muffler & exhaust pipe heat shields, and a flywheel screen for just $4.90 plus shipping, which should be around $10. These should help her run cool. The stationary flywheel cover this one uses can clog easier than a spinning screen, and since same seller had the shields, I got them also. It's Joe's Outdoor Power & he combines shipping.

Grand total with shipping was $13.80. A great deal! What I like with Joe, he starts most small things at 99 cents. I get lucky with a lot of items with him & win for opening bid.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 02:47 PM

Just finishing up on the engine. Got the heat shields in the mail today & got them on. Then I had to grind a slot & hole in air filter housing to use the clip style choke cable holder off the BF engine. I gambled on the flywheel cover & kinda lost...not a bolt on fit, but I plasma cut the center hole to clear flywheel center & this screen will work because the flywheel ring bolts down tight over top of it. I cut the hold dead center, so that has it balanced. All I needed was the perimeter tight, & the ring did it just fine. Besides, the heat shields were worth more than I paid for all of it. Gotta pick up a fuel pump, then I'll be ready to swap engines. Sometime next week I should get to it. The only extra things I have to do yet is to cut an access hole in frame rail for oil drain tube, mount the electric fuel pump, and stretch the driveshaft. I can't wait to use this puppy!

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 16, 2010 - 03:30 PM

Well, due to rain & more rain, I got some more done to the engine. Old BF engine is out, and new B48G is sitting in place...not bolted down yet, but there. May get all finished tomorrow night, but may be too tired. Got a rear tire on full size Massey 175 to pump out what I can of the ballast....stem broke on tube & fell inside rim. Gonna be a beast to deal with. I'll take some pics tomorrow & post.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 17, 2010 - 04:18 PM

Got engine all hooked up & bolted down, but still have the driveshaft to extend. George, look at the way I dealt with the broken engine mount. 1/4" strap, bent at angle, the bolted to rear main plate. The bolt is tightened to the frame, then a second nut with washer to adjust up under the strap, then the nut & lock washer on top to snug her up. It looks to sit extra high....the mount plate was bent a bit, so this got around having to straighten it, as the mount was gone already anyway. One of the other mount feet needed a washer also to keep the 3 remaining feet evened out. Very critical with aluminum oil pans to be double sure that the mount plate is perfectly flat & mates to the engine mounts flush. Bent engine mounts is the prime reason for these aluminum Onan mounting feet to break.

DSC00115..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00114..jpg

Edited by olcowhand, May 17, 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 17, 2010 - 06:23 PM

That is a real good idea on that broken mount.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 11:26 AM

All is installed & running fine...that is after another $117 for new coil, points, & condenser, but she runs smoother than ever, so worth the money.