• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• Member No: 6638
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 07:04 PM

I acquired an old Ariens riding mower with "5-8 Gear" on the hood. All the engine has on it is "Briggs & Stratton Magnetron". The mower has been repainted at least once. I cannot find any other identification on the mower or on the engine and I've looked everywhere as recommended by the Ariens and B&S websites. Even though the unit has been siting outside for 2 or 3 years, I managed to get it running. I would now like to order manuals and a few parts for it but I need numbers. Does anyone have any idea what Ariens model # or what B&S engine this is? Thanks in advance.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 07:09 PM

First, :welcome: to GTTalk.

Second, if you could upload a picture or three, it would probably help some of the guys help out.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 07:19 PM

:wave: fschakel Welcome to GTTalk! I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the Ariens brand, but as MH81 mentioned, some pictures would go a long way toward some answers when the Ariens guys come around. I just wanted to say hello! We hope that you get some answers soon. In the meantime, browse around and check out the site! Thanks for signing up!

#4 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:25 PM

OK, I'll try the pictures again (I'm having trouble submitting them). I'm looking for model numbers of the Ariens and/or engine of the tractor in these pictures:
Ariens tractor 007.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Ariens tractor 001.jpg
  • Ariens tractor 009.jpg
  • Ariens tractor 002.jpg

Edited by fschakel, October 02, 2011 - 02:27 PM.
pictures scattered

#5 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• Member No: 1171
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 07:11 PM

I think that you have a S-8. S as in sam. Which is a 929 series tractor. Model 929001 and serial no. 101 should be enough to get you going on Ariens site.

Ariens Order Owners Manuals
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:53 AM

Thank you very much, jjkrjh! No wonder I couldn't find anything on "5-8". Great... I can now do some more browsing and searching.

#7 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I did the samething with my first Ariens. Thought that I had a 5-14, but it was a S-14.

The parts book for the tractor will give the original Briggs. No., you will be able to search from there. Good luck!

#8 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 06:26 AM

I haven't been able to download a parts manual or service manual yet. There was one on Ebay for $12 but it didn't ship to Canada. Also, what year might this S-8 be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the replies so far.

#9 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 05:49 PM

There is a break down on years in the parts/repair manual by serial number.

The parts and repair manual are in one manual for $18. from Ariens
The owners manual is $8.

The link in post #5 you can download the manuals for free or order the paper manuals, by using the model/serial number that I listed. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
  • ransome said thank you

#10 wildkenny OFFLINE  

wildkenny

• Member No: 6958
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 10:08 PM

u can go onto ariens.com enter ur serial #/model and gives u the whole manual free

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Unless the engine has been replaced you should be able to get close to the year of the tractor by using the engine code number which should be found on the engine shroud just above where the spark plug wire exits.

#12 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, but I tried this. I got the owners manual but I couldn't get the service manual. That's OK because the owners manual has all the part numbers and quite a bit of technical info, too.

#13 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 01:46 PM

Unless the engine has been replaced you should be able to get close to the year of the tractor by using the engine code number which should be found on the engine shroud just above where the spark plug wire exits.

I thought the S-8 was made in the 1970's but the 8 HP engine is a "Magnetron Briggs & Stratton". I read somewhere that the Magnetron came out in 1985. That makes me wonder if the engine is not original. I cannot see any trace of the engine numbers I even used a bright light and wire brushing the whole engine shroud because it had been spray painted.

#14 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:50 PM

In the Parts/Service manual, the dates are from 1974-1978 for the tractors. The model and type that is listed for the briggs is 191707-0636. Here is a link for the parts and owners manual from Briggs for that model

Manuals | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

It sounds like the engine might not be the original one. The parts break down might help

#15 fschakel OFFLINE  

fschakel

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info on the parts. This parts list includes a set of points under the flywheel which I believe mine would not have since it's a magnetron. Therefore I think it's safe to assume my engine is a bit newer than the tractor. Thank you for all the help and links.