30 replies to this topic

#16 nswnotill OFFLINE  

nswnotill

• Member No: 1001
  • 10 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:57 AM

Power tiller orig. config. (lo).jpg
As Jimmy did not apparently upload his pictures of the Chinese two wheel tractor, I have uploaded one of a Dong Feng 12HP two wheel tractor with a single cylinder diesel motor.
I am an Aussie retired farmer and have been doing foreign aid work with these tractors for the last 6 years
Over 500,000 of them are manufactured annually around the world. Most are made in China.
However significant numbers are made in Thailand, with lesser numbers in India, Japan, and Korea.
Over 80% of the arable land in Bangladesh is farmed with a 2WT.
There are over 400,000 of them there.
Mostly they come with a rotavator on them, or perhaps a small mouldboard or disc plow.
The basic cost ex factory in China is $1000 -$1200.
I have been working with others on development of conservation farming implements for 2WT.
This has been mainly concerned with zero tillage seed drill.
More details on request.
  • MH81, shallowwatersailor, tractorgarden and 4 others have said thanks

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the pictures and info on the 2 wheel tractors nswnotill . If you have more information about how your no-till is working please post it , maybe in the "Garden " section . I'm always trying to learn new/better ways , Al
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#18 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:44 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27253[/ATTACH]
As Jimmy did not apparently upload his pictures of the Chinese two wheel tractor, I have uploaded one of a Dong Feng 12HP two wheel tractor with a single cylinder diesel motor.
I am an Aussie retired farmer and have been doing foreign aid work with these tractors for the last 6 years
Over 500,000 of them are manufactured annually around the world. Most are made in China.
However significant numbers are made in Thailand, with lesser numbers in India, Japan, and Korea.
Over 80% of the arable land in Bangladesh is farmed with a 2WT.
There are over 400,000 of them there.
Mostly they come with a rotavator on them, or perhaps a small mouldboard or disc plow.
The basic cost ex factory in China is $1000 -$1200.
I have been working with others on development of conservation farming implements for 2WT.
This has been mainly concerned with zero tillage seed drill.
More details on request.

Thanks for the picture. Just the other day I was on a endless trail on youtube watching advertisement videos for these tractors. I wish more than just BCS and Grillo were sold over here. They are just way out of my price range.

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Enjoyable post. Thanks for the information!

#20 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 01:53 PM

I agree Cvans, very enjoyable to read and I have to to say I'm proud to be a member here at GTTalk, why you ask ?

Because at any other site there would have been an outcry about posting anything about Chinese OPE, let alone the members saying congrats on the new equipment no matter where it was made.

Ron

#21 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:43 PM

So does anyone know for sure if they are letting these machines into the US? If so who has em and whats the cost?

#22 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Check with some of the Grey market dealers. I know there have been some brought into this country and those dealers might be able to help you out.

#23 nswnotill OFFLINE  

nswnotill

• Member No: 1001
  • 10 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:47 PM

Check with some of the Grey market dealers. I know there have been some brought into this country and those dealers might be able to help you out.

The principal manufacturer in China is Dong Feng Agricultural Machinery Co.
They are at : Farming Tractor Tractors & Changzhou Dongfeng Agricul Tural Machinery Group,China
This company also manufactures four wheel tractors from 25-90HP. If you are interested, perhaps one of the N. American dealers for Dong Feng may import one for you.

Two wheel tractors are sometimes referred to as power tiller, walking tractor, or iron buffalo.
However a word of caution.
These units in standard form are an occupational health and safety nightmare. They have exposed Vee belts with no cover, they are noisy, the exhaust exits at driver head level, and the handlebars vibrate a lot due to the single cylinder motor. Prolonged use can give 'white knuckle syndrome' ( similar to extended use of a chain saw).
Check with your State or Federal safety laws.
Many of these problems can be overcome by various modifications (Vee belt guard etc)
Despite the drawbacks as previously mentioned, over 500,000 sold annually world wide.
  • Cvans said thank you

#24 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 01:28 AM

The tractor them selves are very cool. I dont think they let them in this country due to not passing osha, and maybe UL standards. Last time i knew most of the china diesils wouldnt pass the exhaust tests the EPA puts out. Used to be you could drive up to Canada and a dealer there would sell you one, but i think they got wise to that. Its a shame to as most of these are built fairly well and have a lot more hp than the older tractors we use here.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Heres a link to a Canadian importer of Chinese diesels. He imports them for use on alternate fuel (bio diesel or veg. oil) generators.
These look like nice engines but aren't cheap. woodnstuff.ca: Chinese Diesel Engines

#26 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 12:42 PM

That seems to be the problem with getting any of thses items, by the time you get it here you cant afford them any more. The china tractor looks good at a grand, but then you got customs, duties, tax, and shipping. You might as well build something your self at the end.

#27 jimmymc2286 OFFLINE  

jimmymc2286

• Member No: 2540
  • 15 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hello everyone. I am sorry for the long time offline. I would like to give an update on my Chinese walk behind tractor. The best thing I can say is WOW. The lack of inplements limits the use of it. The only thing I use it for right now is pulling chores. I am building a sulky with a sleave hitch for it so I can use it for more gardening work. I have used it more then any of my other garden tractors and it has been very dependable. Not once has it not started, and ran perfect. It is easy to start, and once you get used to it easy to opperate. As far as I know there are no dealers in the US, but you can import one on your own. It is not hard to do and all you have to do is a little research on the paper work. There are Import Brokers everywhere that will help you for a small fee. As for safety, mine has a belt guard over the belts and it is just as safe as any walk behind. I still don't have even one picture of it but I will take care of that when I get the sulky finished. If anyone else has one of these here in the USA I would sure like to know about it.

Jimmy

#28 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'd love one of those. Can't wait for the pictures.

#29 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:39 PM

In Asia many of these are used on the road hauling large loads or people. Two and 4 wheel wagons are hooked to then and in high gear they move right along. I'd love to see the look on the employees faces if I pulled into the local elevator on one of these and asked for a load of fertilizer :laughingteeth:

#30 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the review and the tips on getting one, but what was the end cost?