• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:40 PM

I'm trying to close a deal on a 444, I'd like to put larger front tires/wheels on it, think they will work, I found this video searching youtube of them on a Massey, just hoping I can use them
Massey MF-14 New 10" tires, wheels, and hubs - YouTube

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm trying to close a deal on a 444, I'd like to put larger front tires/wheels on it, think they will work, I found this video searching youtube of them on a Massey, just hoping I can use them
Massey MF-14 New 10" tires, wheels, and hubs - YouTube

NO...besides they'd look DUMB...they look cool on this 'itlle guy' but the 444 would not look right...that is my opinion...Sounds kinda harsh, but really I think the original wheels with Ags would look much 'better' and would provide you better performance (traction). The 444 isn't a little wheel tractor, now if it was a Wheel Horse or 200 series then I'd def say go for it, but if you put 8x16 ags on your 444 the performance would be very tough to beat...again My opionion GL what whatever you decide

Edited by NutCASE, October 01, 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#3 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 11:11 PM

I think you misunderstood, I was talking about using the 10" front tires like the ones on the tractor in the video on the front of the 444

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 11:33 PM

you're right Frank...I am an idiot...LOL some would call me a NutCASE :-)

But I guess those might be ok, is there somethin wrong with the 'stockers'? What do you hope to gain? I think the smaller ones would turn better, offer less stress on the steering components and would float over terrain better. Then again it depends on what 'work' you'll want to do...drag a car across a drive or plow a field...each one is a different task by design...(sorry about the misunderstanding)

#5 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 12:03 AM

you're right Frank...I am an idiot...LOL some would call me a NutCASE :-)

But I guess those might be ok, is there somethin wrong with the 'stockers'? What do you hope to gain? I think the smaller ones would turn better, offer less stress on the steering components and would float over terrain better. Then again it depends on what 'work' you'll want to do...drag a car across a drive or plow a field...each one is a different task by design...(sorry about the misunderstanding)

Well according to all the laws of physics you would be mistaken on all counts, lol. The taller tires always perform better with less stress on the steering, with one caveat, that they arent by ratio as wide as the stockers. Shorter wider tires, may only be adequate for turf application only, in dirt, snow, or ice the taller tires work better, much better, especially tri-ribs as they grip horizontally, by there tread, thats why there used on farm tractors fronts tall and skinny. If short wide ones worked AG tractors would use them, right

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:18 AM

Well according to all the laws of physics you would be mistaken on all counts, lol. The taller tires always perform better with less stress on the steering, with one caveat, that they arent by ratio as wide as the stockers. Shorter wider tires, may only be adequate for turf application only, in dirt, snow, or ice the taller tires work better, much better, especially tri-ribs as they grip horizontally, by there tread, thats why there used on farm tractors fronts tall and skinny. If short wide ones worked AG tractors would use them, right

Perhaps I wasn't clear, a tire has a job to do each tire is different based on application and tractor. I believe the stock tires were chosen, not because they offered a single strength but because they made the tractor as a 'whole' more versatile. No youre right not specifically better in 'snow' or ag conditions, which is probably why they came with 'turf' tires in the rear, recognizing for the most part these are 'lawnmowers', does that mean they didn't sell log splitters? or plows? of course not. But as a whole I'd bet 90% or higher were used primarily for mowing. and a large percentage of that was used exclusively for mowing. So, if your dream is to plow a field, then of course there are better choices, and if your dream is to plow snow you may want to investigate 'other choices' probably chains and added weight. And my experience tells me no rubber tires do very much on ice, physics or not. I hope we have a better understanding...how do you like your new tires...ha ha ha

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:59 AM

Here was my plan on my 444. It has Titan brand 8-16 ag lug tires out back, which are loaded with fluid, and perform awesome. The 444 was the ONLY one of my tractors that could drive thru snow exactly one foot deep (I measured it) and not care, and that was with a snow plow on front (which was raised but the mount was dragging thru the snow). However, the smooth rib tires up front did not steer well, and were always too small to suit me. I researched and found several GT guys have run "snow hog" tires up front and had superb traction in mud and snow for steering, but did not like the turf damage. I thought that "snow hogs" made sense for me, so I purchased (but never mounted) 18x6.50-8 snow hogs, 4 ply rated. Yes the 18 is the right height dimension, and these tires do exist, but not cheaply. I never mounted the tires due to changes in taste of my tractors, and the plan to sell off the 444 due to it needing too much. I just want you to consider that they make several very good tires that will fit a stock 8x5.5 rim. another tire to consider if you want taller yet, is a 19x7-8 atv tire, for a kids atv, but still should fit your rims just fine, and they come in aggressive tread styles. I am just putting in my 2 cents here, and you dont have to listen to a guy that buys more tires for his tractor than he has tractors for them to mount on. LOL
  • Frank Morris said thank you

#8 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Of course your both right, just seems they would have put taller turf tires to go with the taller rear tires, I like wvbuzzmaster suggestion, much cheaper than tires, wheels and hubs, BTW Nutcase, a 5.70-8 trailer turf tire works amazingly better than the stockers, not to expensive on ebay either, there about 18 inches tall, offer great performance on grass and you'll love how they steer, my buddy put them on his 446, very nice