#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 12:39 PM

I know its way off topic but just wondering what sort of GPS unit would be good to buy.Not a expensive one either.I need one for off road use,you know going down trails into the bush and finding my way back if I get turned around.I do a bit of cutting with my tractor thru the bush LOL but thats not what I'am looking to buy one for. Travelling off road in the Ranger we've been doing more exploring now and it would be nice to have one just to help out with getting back to the main road if I should lose my bearings,[and not the ones in the wheels]Larry

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:03 PM

I couple of guys here at work have smart phone with the Google GPS app and swear by it. I is an avid hunter.
  • massey driver said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:17 PM

When I resubscribed with my Cell phone company, I got new phones. I was facinated with the Garmin phone and that's what I got.
I like it and it works well for me. That's where I got the coordinates so MH81 could get me on the members map.
There is one drawback, the night I got it the wife told me on the way home, I was running 74 mph in a 65 mph speed zone.
Guess I should not have bought her one too?

I used to sell GPS units, and they are all good. I would reccomend the less expensive units for your application. They will have the capacity for way points you would need for four wheeling.
A way point is a location you mark when you change directions(like if you take a left fork in the road). Or a Landmark your looking to use for a change in your route.
The people who would need a more advanced unit with more way points are the hunters and hikers, hiking into a unknow wilderness, very possibly in the dark. Even the lower priced units work fine for finding a deerstand in the dark. My son uses an inexpensive Magelland when deer hunting with his bow.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 30, 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:32 PM

I would buy a Garmin Nuvi if I was you. I have a Garmin Nuvi and it shows you where you are in relation to the road (as well as which way you are facing) if you are in the "Veiw Map" screen. You also get speed, direction, time, and zoom. And as an added bonus, you can program it on the main roads to not get lost there lol. I highly recommend one. It also displays major water obstacles.

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 02:25 PM

I would invest in a name brand, It does not have to be expensive. My tractor buddy and I travel all over the country,we have both Garmin,and Dumb Dumb........ I meant Tom Tom, Both units have pros and cons,we run them side by side. One note for your consideration is that they are for on road. The type used in hunting and geocacheing will record a map of where you have traveled, and how to get back. The smart phone app. may do the same. hope this helps, I know any time we are off the beaten path the gps units we have tell you to get back on the road, In your case I do not think the law would like that idea! Shawn

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 03:54 PM

You don't have to program the Garmin to use it offroad, just remember you are offroad lol.

#7 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Ive got a Nuvi we use in the truck with roads and such, and a Magellan we use when we go 'shrooming, hiking or to mark a good fishing spot.
Greg

Edited by Michiganmobileman, October 02, 2011 - 07:20 PM.
Brnad name mix up, been a long weekend

#8 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 09:54 PM

I have a Garmin and really love it...but my favorite is the Smart Phone Google App...just hold it to your mouth, tell it where you want to go and viola...no typing, no searching it is all there, and I use the satellite view so it is much better than a map, or a map view on the garmin. You can say 'Walmart' and it will list the walmarts in your area, no matter where you are. Or you can speak a town or street address...to me the speaking part is the coolest. no need to type it in...so you don't have to take your eeys off the road....when a call comes in, it automatically switches to 'phone mode' when you hang up...right back to NAV...amazing...

#9 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 11:23 PM

As stated before, get a cheap one. I got the cheapest, smallest one at Walmart several years ago. It still works well and was under 100.oo at the time. Good luck and keep us posted on your choice.

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Canadian Tire had the Magellan eXplorist 310 0n sale this week so the price was right.Thats what I now have and am starting to play around with it now to make sure I know how to use it when its needed.Larry

#11 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 09:48 PM

We use a tom-tom in the truck and swear by it, but is for "on-road" only. I tried the smart phone one for my blackberry and was not impressed - seemed slow and clunky to me.

I had looked at a garmin a couple years ago - small portable and pretty good for dirt biking/hiking - but a couple years is forever in electronic time!!