• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:34 AM

I need a new deck for my MF8 restore. Wouldn't you know it an 8 comes up for sale about 100 miles from here and the guy has a spare deck that is in good shape. How much would be a fair price for it? He says he will sell it but maybe just the shell, keeping the drives etc to put with the for sale complete 8 as spares. How much would be fair for just the shell? Keep in mind that I am in Canada and prices tend to run a bit higher up here.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:51 AM

JD. Buy the other tractor also and keep it or sell it after you get what you need from the parts. That's just MHO ..

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 10:01 AM

I just picked up an 8 less engine with a deck from the local scrap yard for $.35/lbs = $139.00. Trouble is I am down here in Wisconsin.
I have been told that those twin gear boxes are quit rare. Not sure though. I have not seen any for sale so it would be hard for me to put a piece on the stuff.
I think I have to agree with TDH on buying and selling what you do not need.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 03:28 PM

The problem is he wants 600 for the 8 and the 2 decks. My 8 is probably 80% done and I really don't have a use for it. I certainly don't want another one. I want the deck so that the tractor will be easier to sell if that is what I decide to do.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Well.........
One point of view would be that after you buy his 8 and two decks, you then have TWO tractors with decks. I think 600 is a bit high unless the tractor is in really good shape mechanically. If you can find something wrong, then point it out and ask him to drop his price. I got my 8 for about half what the guy was asking for it after pointing out how serious and difficult to repair his steering problem was (He claimed it just needed adjustment).

There is an 8 deck shell for sale on ebay, about 40 for the deck and 40 for shipping or thereabouts. I see that he is going to keep the gearboxes for the deck, do you have your own gearboxes?

Luck,
Howard

Edited by HowardsMF155, September 30, 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Wow, $600? Ok, how about offering him $100 for the extra deck, complete. Those drives are getting rarer, are yours OK? If just the shell, how about $50-75?

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Wow, $600? Ok, how about offering him $100 for the extra deck, complete. Those drives are getting rarer, are yours OK? If just the shell, how about $50-75?

What I did was almost exactly what you advise. I offered him 100 for the deck and 50 for the shell only. My angle drives seem fine although I haven't had them apart. The 8 looks to be in excellent shape but may still require a lot of work. He wants to try to sell it together. He will not commit to accepting my offer of 100$. I told him to keep my offer in mind if he has someone trying to beat him down on price. I am sick with a cold right now and wouldn't be able to make the 100mile trip up there until Monday or Tuesday anyway, so I'll just have to wait. I think he may have trouble getting anything near his asking price unless there is a collector who needs it. I am not a collector. The 8 is really too small for what I need, which is why I got the JD314. I'm not sure how big a deal a spare deck would be to someone when the original looks to be in excellent shape. He may get offers for just the tractor. At least he knows that there is 100 setting there in the spare deck if that happens.

#8 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 02:17 PM

I don't think that nut is going to give you a deal at all. I've tried to deal with the guy before but he thinks all the old MF stuff is made of gold. I wouldn't waste my time dealing with him myself. Let me know how it goes.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 02:31 PM

I had a closer look at the 8 pictures he posted. It is in pretty good shape but not without issues. It looks like the grill has been butchered in some way and there looks like a piece missing off the top of the dash, seat is shot, looks like a big dent in the side of the hood and the steering wheel is really bent as well. That's just from looking at the poor res. pictures. I'd have to see it in person to check the front spindles which tend to wear out and motor mounts etc. I'm hoping he will contact me but if he doesn't then it's no big deal.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Well it looks like I have a deal on the deck. The seller soon realized that people weren't going to be knocking down his door to buy the tractor. I should have it tomorrow. We made a deal where I got the deck delivered to me for about 20$ more than the cost for me to just travel up there and back. I got the bare shell as he decided he wanted to keep the angle drives. I had to take a chance on this one as they are rare hereabouts and I want to finish up the 8 next summer.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 05:04 AM

Hey,way to go Brian.

#12 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Glad you could make a deal with the guy.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 04:11 PM

It took some back and forth for about a week to get to the point where a deal happened. I picked it up tonight and he did an excellent job of packaging it. It's as advertised. Solid and straight with a couple of very well done patches on the bottom side. Heres a couple of pics.

DSCF6832.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6833.jpg
  • DSCF6829.jpg
  • DSCF6836.jpg
  • DSCF6834.jpg