Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Sometimes when I see some restored tractors and equipment I wonder if they looked that good right from the factory . Well at least David Bradley wasn't , I never noticed that this coulter wheel assm. P9290235.jpg that was never installed , look close and you'll see the wire holding the pieces together for shipping was painted over and stuck to the square nut ! About one layer of paint and no primer , no wonder things rusted !

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, I've notice that, another head shaker is the weld jobs on some things.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:06 PM

I don't know about any other brand, but Wheel Horse supposedly Powder Coated all of their tractors from the early 60's on. In the mid-sixties, that built a new production plant that had the line run through the oven on a assembly line in the very top of the plant.
  • Alc said thank you

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Have you ever noticed how paint jobs from the older tractors turn brown, thier oxidizing from the inside out, when you sand them down ,ther was never any primer or sealer used.
I guess they never figured nuts like us would like to collect them some day

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 10:47 PM

Very true, I don't think they thought they would be still in service like we keep them.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 10:59 PM

The thing your not understanding about Bradleys, is they were farm machine maker, not show car makers. All DB equipment was vat dipped until sometime in the early Roper yrs. Also DB did not sell garden tractors or attachments, they sold bundles of iron to be assembled into ones. Sears the owner of DB sold garden tractors. Almost any thing you got from the Bradley plant came wire tied, dipped and sometimes mounted on a small wood pallet.

A few yrs ago the DB historical socity put out CD's that were copies of the factory newletter, called Poineer Plowman. These pages showed the day to day life of the DB factory, including the dip tanks. One of the storys in the papers was about the parts that fell off the line and were lost into the vat. Apparently they only cleaned it out once in a while. In the cleaning pictured was 100's of tractor parts, including hoods, wheels and other large and small stuff. They gave a figure(dont recall how much) of the amount of lost stuff was recovered. It was 1000's of dollars in parts. Because im a member of the Hist group and the CD is copyrighted i cant in good faith post any pictures of the pile, sorry. This vat by the way was big enough to put a pickup truck inside. I kjnow they had more than one paint dipping line as there was green stuff, red stuff and blue stuff all at the same time. Other colors that come up are a yellow, cream, gray and white. A real prize in DB collecting is to get an attachment that never been out of it bundle or assembled past the factory point. I know of several collectors who have items like this. One of them is Trowel's uncle Kevin, who did have a complete buzz saw outfit still on the crate and wire tied. I only have a few little thing like sickel mower parts bags(burlape) that are stilled wire tied, so i dont really know whats inside them.
  • Alc and Littledeere have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Lauber for the info , are those CD's for sale ? Sounds like I shouldn't disturb the coulter wheel since all the wires are still bundling it together . Also this has me thinking that on the one side cover of my Tri-Trac has paint runs , could that have been from the factory ? If it wasn't it was done a long time ago , Al

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Thanks Lauber for the info , are those CD's for sale ?

I might be interested in that video also. Let us know!

...Also this has me thinking that on the one side cover of my Tri-Trac has paint runs , could that have been from the factory ?

I'd think that with a dip tank paint job, it would be hard to NOT get runs.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:43 AM

I'll have to check with them and see if there are any CD's left for sale. I beleive they made 3 of them, and sold it for $5 a piece. Theres a lot of info in each, including the names of people who worked on the differnt lines. One of them work on the line making hoods........for about 35 yrs, from the early Handiman jr's right up thur the suburbans, thats all he did.
  • Littledeere said thank you

#10 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I have had tons of DB rims with factory runs in them!!!!

#11 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Well...I will never be accused of having too good a paint job on my tractors.....lol