#1 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:02 PM

For those of you that have installed or have a dc linear actuator on a sleeve hitch. What is the stroke and the weight capacity of the actuator.
Once again Thanks for all the vita information.:worshippy1:

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:58 PM

is there any markings make or model on the dc linear actuator?
that what help. can you post any pictures of it?

to determine the stroke - disconnect one end and measure it then power it up until it stops and measure it again. that should gave the stroke length.
I googled dc linear actuator and found a site that show force 8-35lbs, 40-70lbs, 100-150lbs, 200lbs, 400lbs and 1000lbs

I hope you have a fuse on your power line to the dc linear actuator or you can burn the motor up

#3 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'm considering putting a sleeve hitch on a sears tractor that I own. Sears make two sleeve hitch attachments for the tractor, a manual and electric version. The manual version is (reasonably priced) how ever I think the electric version is a bit pricey. I can buy the manual and the adapter for the actuator and find the linear actuator on line. That is what prompted the question about the stroke length and the lift weight capacity. . I don't presently own the sleeve hitch. I was trying to find out what other owners of them could tell me what is on their Tractors. I hope this helps

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:16 AM

I bought the manual version and have had nothing but good luck with it. At some point, I want to change the flat lift pcs to something more adjustable.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I will be putting a 3-point on my GTV/16 and wouldn't mind using an actuator to run it up and down, brokenfeather. So I would be looking for about the same info, just a longer stroke.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:30 AM

I think it would depend on the particular actuator. I have one off an old sattilite TV antenna(one of the first ones sold with abot a 4 ft aluminum dish and that thing is about 3 ft long and looks to have about a 2 or longer ft stroke. Too big for a GT but I'll put it in the shed till I think of an application for it.
Norther Tool sells a couple models and lists specs for them(affordable). I have heard of those being used for Sleeve hitch lift and even dump body on a Toyota Tacoma. Actuators are available to meet any specs you want if your willing to pay for it.
Somewhere maybe that other forum, a guy had used the actuator on a JD w/o hydralics. He even had a video of it and it was the slickest setup I have ever seen. He made a mount for the actuator like a 2" reciever hitch and could install and remove the sleeve hitch in a couple minutes. His fabricating skills are unbelievable.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Johnny Products, makers of the Johnny bucket, also sell actuators. The stroke you need will depend on how you have the hitch laid out. The weight rating of the actuator you need also depends on the hitch geometry. If you want to lift 200 lbs 10 inches and your hitch setup allows for a 4" stroke on the actuator then the actuator would need to be at least 10/4 x 200lbs or 500 lbs. It also depends on the angle that the actuator is pushing against the load. 1000lbs would probably do it for this case. The speed of the actuator is also dependant on the weight capability. You can usually get the same actuator with a higher lift capacity but it will move slower. The alternative is a larger motor that draws more current to give you more weight capability and preserve the speed. You also need to factor in a high current control switch or maybe a solenoid depending on the current draw. The Sears hitches look like they would work well but they do seem a bit pricey.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Brian, thanks for the explanation. That is the type of info I was looking for. I think slower movement would be better on a 3-point, easier to adjust up/down movements a little at a time. Once I get to the installation of it, you all can see the challenge of using the manual handle. The seat pan is farther back and pretty tall where the handle would come over on the GTV/16. It won't be hard to add a 35 amp. alternator on the Onan.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Kenny, I'm not sure how much an actuator would draw in your situation but they are an intermittent load and would not likely use more than the stock alternator could supply. I'd like to try using one on the 314 to add a 3pt hitch maybe. That's a project for after I retire when I hope to learn how to weld. If you do a search on them you can see that there are a lot of suppliers for actuators but not a lot of them available retail.
What I find an interesting feature would be to have a 3pt that had position control like on my 2320 and most large tractors. Instead of just up/down the 3pt lever is calibrated from 1 to 10 or whatever and the hitch moves to the position you put the lever to. There is a stop you can set and it will lower to the same spot every time. It's a much better system than just up/down. It should be possible to have this type of function on an actuator that has feedback of it's position. That is a project that I want to work on when I retire as well.

#10 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 05:13 PM

A movable limit switch adjustable from the seat would do it I think. That's my of the top of my head solution.

Also a question has anyone considered a cable winch to lift and lower the sleeve hitch. Just saw a 2000lb ATV winch at Farm & Fleet for 79 and change and got me to thinking. Workable or not. Any thoughts.

#11 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Found some information about sleeve hitches with linear actuators I want to share for others looking for information and ideas.
do it yourself power sleeve hitch - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Add actuator to Craftsman GT sleeve hitch - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:05 PM

A movable limit switch adjustable from the seat would do it I think. That's my of the top of my head solution.

Also a question has anyone considered a cable winch to lift and lower the sleeve hitch. Just saw a 2000lb ATV winch at Farm & Fleet for 79 and change and got me to thinking. Workable or not. Any thoughts.

Very workable, and the exact setup I have on my Craftsman GT18 (aka Caterpillar). The winch is a high amp draw however, and I decided to offset the winch draw and the nonworking under the flywheel alternator with a GM style Delco Remy 37 Amp alternator run off the engine. The other thing I did to reduce amp draw is mounted the winch on a piece of 4 inch channel iron that extends well above the hitch to put the winch in a straighter line with the hitch pull. I also doubled the winch line with a pulley block to slow down the lifting/lowering speed, and in turn reduce my amp draw. The best benefit to using winch lift is your implement will float, unlike with an actuator.

Attached Thumbnails

• Caterpillarplowing1.jpg
  • Caterpillarplowing2.jpg

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, October 03, 2011 - 06:14 PM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:13 PM

I do have more detailed pictures that I can post up later if you want them. The basic setup is that the channel iron is bolted to the backside of the hitch plate, and extends high above, then the hook of the pulley block is attached in place of the lift linkage. Then the winch hook is just hooked to the top of the channel iron. Very simple, and you can forgo the alternator by adding a large battery and having a good factory charging system. But if you have an under the flywheel alternator and want to use the winch, I highly recommend the upgrade of the alternator, you won't regret it. It makes for a heck of a powerplant when you have to rescue anything with a dead battery lol.

#14 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Close up pictures would be of great benefit. I always like to see pictures, they explain a lot very quickly.