• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 06:14 AM

I am working on a Ford LGT125, Kohler engine....been sitting for a number of years........The throttle shaft is seized in the carb.....I have been soaking it in Varsol for a couple of days, with no results........Any other ideas?...I heard that tranny fluid/accetone mix is good as a penetrant........

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 06:43 AM

I always use PB Blaster for seized stuff. Can you try any heat along with the other methods without melting bushings if it has plastic bushings or o-rings? So the butterfly won't rotate at all?

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 06:52 AM

Won't budge....its been sitting for a lot of years......It is stuck in the closed position, so I managed to get the little screws out and the plate removed....I can see rust in the bore where the shaft goes through.......Trouble is, the shaft doesnt go all the way through, so I cant try and hammer it out, would have to try and pull it out.......Will try and take a pic when I get outside in a while

Was also wondering if maybe putting it in the freezer or an oven may help....I don't want to put a torch right on it.......Boiling it in water with vinegar???..

Edited by poncho62, April 29, 2010 - 06:57 AM.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 06:59 AM

If it was sitting for that long and the shaft is rusted like that I can't believe you got the throttle plate screws out in one piece. I would try something similar to pb blaster and heat and then a pair of long snout needle nose pliers to help leverage it out the one side.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 07:48 AM

As George said I would use a little heat and then penetrating oil. If you can heat the carb body up where the end of the shaft is it might help expand the body enough that when you spray it with the penetrating oil it would help draw some oil down alongside the shaft. You might even try putting the carb in the freezer first and then heat it up and try the oil. As the carb body would expand first from the heat, the temp difference from the cold throttle shaft may help crack it loose. Good Luck!

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 03:29 PM

I got it loose....I put it in a pot of water and vinegar (I figured the vinegar is a bit acidy)......I boiled it for 1/2 hr and then put some penetrating oil in there and it worked loose......I imagine it was the heating that did it, not the vinegar.............

I also got the old Kohler running.....I guess its time to take it apart and throw some paint at it.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I got it loose....I put it in a pot of water and vinegar (I figured the vinegar is a bit acidy)......I boiled it for 1/2 hr and then put some penetrating oil in there and it worked loose......I imagine it was the heating that did it, not the vinegar.............

I also got the old Kohler running.....I guess its time to take it apart and throw some paint at it.

That's great you got it worked loose. I was even going to suggest using the acid that I used to use for my aluminum flatbed trailer since it only eats away at the grime on the aluminum. What's even better is you got it running already :thumbs:

#8 murphy OFFLINE  

murphy

• Member No: 420
  • 2 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 06, 2010 - 11:47 PM

A small deep fat fryer works well for stuff like that also. (just do not tell the old lady!)