• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 28, 2010 - 10:43 PM

The Massey 1650 started losing power and surging, barely running. I replaced all the fuel lines and filter sprayed some carb cleaner in it and she ran for about thirty more minutes, before returning to the same state. I thought about replacing the fuel pump, but I really thought the carb was the problem, especially after seeing how much fuel the pump was throwing with the line disconnected. I pulled the carb and soaked it some Naptha, pretty hot stuff, and got the gunk off the outside. I took the bowl off and what do I see but a wad of looks like caramel, but hard like caramelized brown sugar, looks like the PO was using the old ethanol gas. I took all the jets the float and everything apart and soaked it for an hour, then used a pipe cleaner and air compressor to remove any residue. I may have to buy a new bowl VERY soon, the spot where the caramel was has been eaten away more than halfway through the bowl, I got it back together and running much better, now I'm going to consult my service manual on the correct needle/jet/screw settings.

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 - 11:13 PM

Sound's like you got it nice and clean inside, I just adjust them by ear, set both high + low speed needle valves 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point, when the motor is warmed up set the throttle control on the dash at full speed lean out the high speed needle until it starts to surge a little then adjust slowly richer until it runs steady then 1/8 turn richer and leave it there. Reduce speed to idle and adjust idle mixture screw to get highest speed, then turn idle speed screw down to get proper idle speed (a tach. help's), then adjust idle mixture again, then idle speed again, back and forth 2-3 times. After each adjustment it takes a bit of time for the motor to react. Then start all over again, high speed low speed. You know you got it right when it runs good under load and from idle there is no hesitation when you open up the throttle.

#3 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2010 - 05:50 AM

Thanks a bunch Doug, that really helps, the kohler site was a little confusing.