• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• Member No: 6270
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Thanks to the internet, I now have my first Simplicity! It's a Sunrunner, 8 hp, 5 speed. I have a "city" lot to take care of, about 1/2 acre, fenced, plantings, etc and I am excited to put it to use. The 36 inch mower will fit through the gates. The maneuverability has impressed me with the trial mowing that I have done and have only smacked the back end once :wave: with the rear wheel steering! It was well taken care of and came with new belts, new tune up parts, and relatively new battery. I added a new ignition switch, and the carburetor needed some fine tuning, now it starts and runs well.

The downside is the clutch, I have adjusted it by the manual, but it isn't close to "wheelies" when I let it out - in fact sometimes it will pretty much sit there - like in third gear. (I have managed to run it forward in all 5 gears so they do work.) But yet, it mows great in second gear, through thick grass, and doesn't seem to hesitate at all. Can the clutch be "sticky"? Can it be cleaned? I have the parts download, not sure even where the clutch parts are. Any clutch tips?

Attached Thumbnails

• Sunrunner2.jpg

#2 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Okay, now I get it. I should say that my lifetime experience has been with hydrostatic drive lawn tractors and big farm tractors, but now I get what a "belt drive" is! If I just would have poked around a little longer the other night..... Anyway, the clutch pedal simply moves the pulley back from the drive belt and the adjustment changes how the pulley reengages the belt drive. The "clutch" is nothing more than releasing pressure so the drive belt does not move the pulley. So, my final verdict? I need a new drive belt! Good news, as it looks like I can get one for like $15, far better than what my fears were!

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 01:48 PM

Nice machine! That particular model is one I thought was one of simplicity's better ideas for a small suburban lot.
I like the mower out front for visibility.
The Stake body is neat and useful for hauling plants and tools around the yard. And there is always bits of trash that needs picked up.
If I had that I think there would be hangers for a pole with a spike in the end to stab the inevitable bits of paper that seems to alway wind up in the yard. A simple flip into the back and your on your way.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 02:10 PM

I must say,I have not seen one of those before.Cute machine.

#5 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Yes, the front mounted mower was the main reason I got this. Something a little different, yet fully functional. Almost a zero turn at far less money, it really handles nice in the small yard. I was shocked how it mowed through rather thick grass while hauling me around. It could use some paint, but yet nothing is outrageous on it.

I like the idea of the litter pick up stick, put a bucket back there or the right sized plastic tub and go to it! :bigrofl:

Here's a shot of it with the back in the dump position.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20110927_173516.jpg

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:28 PM

neat little mower, love the little dump bed,

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 08:00 AM

I have not seen a Simplicity, like that in many years. However I saw the same machine in Deutz Allis Green and labeling at a Simplicity/Allis / MF Dealers in Oskaloosa, Iowa about a month ago. That guy had more used , MF, Simplicity, Allis/ Deutz/Ailis and Agco Tractors than I have seen anywhere.
In all horsepower categories from smallest to largest, serviced and ready to go! I was toying with the idea of buying a MF Compact and he is a Massey dealer too.

#8 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Just as a follow up, I got a new drive belt (tried the blue/kevlar), got it installed, and it made all the difference. The old belt was not worn in the thickness but the depth, plus it was stretched out. Now the clutch feels like a clutch and all the gears drive me around just fine. Ha, no wheelies, but at least it feels like it would try! I'm painting up the deck,what with all the rain we have been having, so things should be dry enough to try it out by the end of the week.

#9 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 01:12 PM

I have the very same mower only in the Agco version. It is a great little mower and I have used it for years with very little trouble. I think I know what your problem is. If you crawl under the mower you will see a big pully that is on a vertical shaft. It is hooked up to the clutch pedal with a rod. You need to oil the very top of the saft with some thin oil like chain and cable lube or WD40. This was a bad design and they should have put a greese zerk on this. It is also very difficult to take off as it rusts on. Take the belt off and oil it as you move it back and forth until it is free, it has to move smooth or you clutch will work as you say. Then everytime you chang oil, oil that shaft. I had the same problem as you until I figured this out. Two other things you need to watch out for is one, the steering cables. They need to be adjusted so there is very little play in them. You do that by taking the clevis off the rear steering arms and adjusting the 1/4 nuts a couple rounds at a time. You want both sides to be the same. If you don't keep this adjusted the cables will break and they use to be about $40.00 each many years ago. The other thing that goes wrong is the brearings go out of the rear wheels if you turn to short to fast. Make sure you keep them greased and slow down when you do those 0 degree turns. I have seen a lot of people put those knobby tires on the back and that is a no no. You want rib tires so they can slide better. Early on in that mowers life there was a service bulliten out that said to remove one of the rear weights as it put to much weight on the steering causing the cables to break. There was also a round lock collar that was put on the little rods that stick up on the steering stops so it wouldn't turn to short. You won't know any difference if these are on so make sure they are. You might want to check with a dealer if you don't know for sure if yours have this. I can take a picture of mine if it will help. If you do these things that mower will run a long time.
  • MH81 and Bobcatter have said thanks

#10 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for all this great information! I'm going to print it out and use it when I get a chance - the mower is headed to Florida next week. The mower seems to be well taken care of in the past and I want to keep it that way and your information is priceless as I have no experience with the details like you do. Just yesterday (about 45 degree temp), I went out to the garage and started it up just to see if I could. The carburetor is super easy to flood, and I just start it without the choke, basically on idle setting, with a quick slide to give it a little gas. It took a couple of cranks, but it did just fine. One of the idiosyncrasies of this mower, I guess, as I was told the carburetor was rebuilt - and I checked the float, etc.

#11 Bobcatter OFFLINE  

Bobcatter

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 09:10 PM

The Sunrunner saved the day in Florida. I had expected the city lot to have been maintained over the summer (per agreement) but what I found was a HAY field! I had no choice.the first day and took the Sunrunner right to it in first gear. The next day I had more time and used the big weed eater first and then followed with the rider. It all worked and saved me a ton of work. In fact, I know the generic push mower would not have handled it.
Darn, can't load the pic from my phone, I will post it .....sometime.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Glad to hear she did the job for you. Sorry to hear your agreement wasn't upheld. Nothing like traveling all day and having to do someone else's job.

#13 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yep I got one too, I love the thing. I cut my Dads lawn because he can't anymore and the back yard is full of fruit trees, lilacs, flower beds, and rose bushes that tear your close off as your cutting, and the the thing works perfectly. It is far better than a push mower i found that if i don't look at the rear tires while trying to maneuver I don't screw up.
I'm not much of a Simplicity man but someone gave me a Landlord 3210V model # 990569 Powerlift and i was wondering if you could tell me if it is worth the 220 mile drive to go get it, I'm not sure what the power lift means but if it's what it sounds like I'm assuming it has hydraulics? What would you say I'm told it hasn't run in 10 + years but it has been sitting in a barn unmolested the whole time
100_0412.jpg

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:45 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the V means variable speed, so it'll be a manual transmission. I think Simp designated their hydro tractors with an H.

So, if it had a lift kit in it, would it be hydraulic or electric lift? IDK.

I will say this. My AC B112 and I have a love/hate relationship. I love how it tills and that it's built like a tank... I hate the fact you need 6 well trained appendages to run it, the tiller, the variable speed, steering, etc. Feel like Doc Octopus using it.

The price is right, and if your getting 15+ mpg with your truck & trailer, you'll have a little over $50 in gas. I'd say go get it.

#15 FFroadking OFFLINE  

FFroadking

• Member No: 7355
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hey Bob Cat,
You are starting down the slippery slope of a Simplicity/ Allis-Chalmers addiction.
I was in trouble with my wife all summer because of it.
You will find several Forums on line to satisfy your addiction, I did.

I would be on the road to get it already. Good luck.
Dan.