• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joed OFFLINE  

joed

• Member No: 6504
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 04:37 PM

I just bought a John Deere 400 with a 3 pt. hitch & I got a Brinley 16 blade gang disc with it. I think I made out pretty good it runs good & everything works good & I gave $ 350 for it all.
I have 2 questions :
The entire body looks good, but the pan that covers the gas tank & forms the foot rests is a little crappy. I was wondering if a pan from a 317 would fit.
Also I have a weld shop & I am thinking of making a front end loader for the 400. I've seen a couple different aftermarket ones on the net, which is basically what I am going to build. I was just wondering if there is enough a** in the machine for pushing into a pile of top soil with turf tires on, or do I need to go with the big tread directional tires. I would rather use the turf tires for not tearing up areas, but if I really need to go with the directionals I will.
Thanks for any help in advance.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk. It sounds like you have a nice tractor there. The part number is not the same for the 317 and 400 fender decks. I'm not sure if they can be substituted. The 400 is much larger than a 317 so I doubt you could interchange the fender decks. I'm sure an expert will be along to give you a definitive answer. I'm not sure about the turf tires. I have a 2320 with Industrial tires on it and it has no problem in 2wd digging into a pile but I have never had turfs on it so I can't compare them. I expect if it is muddy or sandy the turfs will not be as aggressive as ag or ind. tires.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:25 PM

joed,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#4 RSPRATLEY OFFLINE  

RSPRATLEY

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6526
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 12:30 PM

I have a 317 that i have seen after market loader for i was curious about the same thing pretty sure i can build the loader considerably cheaper

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have a 317 that i have seen after market loader for i was curious about the same thing pretty sure i can build the loader considerably cheaper

Welcome to GTTalk RSPRATLEY . Why don't you start a thread and tell us about your tractor and your plans for building a loader.

#6 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 09:42 PM

I just had to give one of those to my cousin. Semi wreck.... Couldn't put it back together. When the engine blew it ran on one cylinder !!! All the way to the trailer , up in it and out at the house. I'd definatly repower it with a briggs as the 20 hp Kohler is prone to blowing at 1100 hours. mine had 1107 and was a second motor

#7 joed OFFLINE  

joed

• Member No: 6504
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:31 PM

I did a compression test seems to be pretty good. Starts & runs really good, when I bought it I figured the disc alone was worth $350. The more I look at this 400 the more I'm thinking about looking for a tiller & running it off hydraulic. I saw the one that Deere makes for it on Ebay, but it seems to be priced like gold. I am definatly going to put a fromt emd loader on it though. Rather than look for another rear fender pan on Ebay I'm just going to brake some heavier plate & copy the old one. I think I'm going to put heavier axles with 4 bolt hubs on the front. If nothing else it will keep me busy in the shop nights playing around.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 04:55 AM

I am definatly going to put a fromt emd loader on it though. Rather than look for another rear fender pan on Ebay I'm just going to brake some heavier plate & copy the old one. I think I'm going to put heavier axles with 4 bolt hubs on the front. If nothing else it will keep me busy in the shop nights playing around.

It's a good idea to go over the front end and steering gear if you plan on putting a loader on it. With a tractor of that vintage the bushings and wheel bearings etc are usually pretty ripe if they haven't already been replaced. The loader will put a lot of stress on the front end. You should consider replacing the front tires as well if they are old and cracked.