caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:11 AM

I use Kerosene in my homemade parts washer. It's basically a 20 gallon drum with a tray on top and a pump in the bottom. I also use brake cleaner afterward for small parts that I'm painting. I use Naphtha and a clean rag to remove the residue from larger items that will be painted. As a side note, occasionally, Advance auto parts puts their brake cleaner on sale BOGO and I usually stock up a case at a time when they do! Their normal price is about $3.50 a can and it's too useful a tool to not have around. It may be a little pricey, but it's the fastest way to do many of the cleaning jobs that I get involved with. My time is precious to me and saving it carries a high value for me.

#17 Grumpy ONLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:41 AM

I use parts cleaning solvent I get from a place called Rural King. It used to cost $15.00 for 5 gal. now its $60.00 for 5 gal. For small jobs I use brake clean. When the wife is not home, I use her dishwasher
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 11:05 AM

I use parts cleaning solvent I get from a place called Rural King. It used to cost $15.00 for 5 gal. now its $60.00 for 5 gal. For small jobs I use brake clean. When the wife is not home, I use her dishwasher

OMG, :bigrofl:
Thanks for the laugh! For your sake, I hope she doesn't read that!

#19 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 11:40 AM

I did that same thing Grumpy and it did a great job,but i did get caught by my wife.So i just want to say woman aren't as frail as i thought they were! if you know what i mean lol.:mad2:

#20 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 12:28 PM

On the really tough jobs that i have to scrape of grease and dirt, I have found that straight orange oil or cirtus oil is best! But DO NOT have it near a flame because it has a lower flash point than gasoline!!
For the general clean up jobs I like the eco cleaners that work like a soap. At work we have a parts washer that is heated and works with enzymes to remove the grease and oil, work just as good as varsol ( yes im canadian!).
I like the eco stuff because its easier on me as I hate gloves.
  • MH81 said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 01:21 PM

There's a bunch of good ideas here. May have to find a junk dishwasher and try that.

#22 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 08:05 PM

The stuff i use i get from advance auto parts and comes in a black 5 gallon bucket can't remember the name.It is not water based and is very hard to ignite.It is not real cheap around $85 but we use it alot and it lasts for 4-6 months before i change it.Not sure if they sell it by the gallon jug or not.

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Wow! lots of good info. Thanks to everyone. Grumpy, if I used the wife dishwasher I would be in the dog house permanently as it is I stay in there quite a bit. :rolling:

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:20 PM

I knew a guy who had 8 kids. He had a dishwasher in the garage to clean parts. his wife had none in the kitchen.
Do you suppose that contributed to the divorce?

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 05:02 PM

For years we used mineral spirits for cleaning when doing compressor tear downs and inspections. Stuff was cheap and leaves no surface residue when dry and cleans very well. Probably not politically correct anymore though.

Edited by Cvans, October 10, 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:58 PM

It's probably not C Evans, but I must confess,I keep a quart of the odorless mneral spirits in the garage for that purpose and when I get really bad stuff like paint ot silicone on my hands I use it to wash my hands.

#27 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:15 PM

Good stuff on here. I use Diesel Fuel a lot but need to be outside. And out in the county.

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:27 PM

I forgot about the lack of odor. I know we worked over it hours at a time and I don't recall anyone even complaining of a headache. The stuff will make your hands tingle after a while. That was in the days when no one wore gloves or eye protection.:say_what: