Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Parts Cleaner Solvent

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 08:57 AM

I was just wonder what clean solution you all used in your parts cleaner. I have been trying to be Echo friendly and put a water base solvent in this last time and it does OK but not as well as I would like.

Thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 09:08 AM

I use Kleen-sol,which is pretty much like Var-sol.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 11:38 PM

For small stuff, I just tye a string around it, drop it in the gas tank of the mower, and go cut the grass. Usually pretty clean when I get finished.... (just kidding - well kinda....)

Actually, I will be watching this. My wife just got me a new parts cleaner so need to get something to use with it. She said something about being tired of me smelling like gasoline.....

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 12:05 AM

I ran into the Varsol word a few years ago. My boss bought an electric, stair climbing dolly mfg in Canada. The directions said to clean screw shaft monthly with VarSol. Had to call the company to find out what it is... According to the company, in the US, it's called Naptha. VarSol is a Canadian brand name, kinda like all adhesive sterile pads are "Band-Aid"s.

I am a little skittish around Naptha, it's very similar in composition to Zippo Lighter Fluid. It is a very good cleaner, and very stable, but with as accident prone as I am, I prefer something a little less flammable. Some of the newer cleaners are pretty good, but I am still using diesel fuel & kero mix in small quantities (my home made cleaning rack is portable and only holds about 1.5 gallons).

Edited by MH81, October 03, 2011 - 12:20 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 12:08 AM

I usually just spray stuff down with a Brake Parts Cleaner. I have known myself to about kill myself in the process. I will pass along a tip. Do not use it in conditions of fog, at night, when the air is heavy, the fumes will just about overtake you!!

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Varsol....I'm Canadian.....lol

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 07:44 AM

WVBuzzmaster - I know what you mean about the brake cleaner. And those cans get kind of expensive after a while. I always have to make sure and wear eye protection when I use brake or carb cleaner - somehow I always end up with splashback onto me!

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I only use the brake cleaner if I am in a hurry, because the cans aren't cheap. Haven't bought any recently, but need to soon.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 09:55 AM

You can buy it alot cheaper if you use the bulk form and a spray pump bottle. I do it this way and use a brush over a 5gl bucket, to save the run off for reuse. The bulk stuff dont evaporate as fast as the spray can. For the parts washer, i just use Naptha, as its just basically paint thinner. For the real heavy stuff i'll take it to work and steam clean it, or put it in the Hotsy cabinet. That cabinet is big enough to put a whole semi truck engine inside.
  • Tennblue59 said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm familiar with Naptha, we used it sometimes to clean parts on Jet engines and the structural guy used it all the time. I have a 20 gal parts cleaner, I got from Harbor Freight, and I'm really Leary about putting anything flammable in it.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I ran into the Varsol word a few years ago. My boss bought an electric, stair climbing dolly mfg in Canada. The directions said to clean screw shaft monthly with VarSol. Had to call the company to find out what it is... According to the company, in the US, it's called Naptha. VarSol is a Canadian brand name, kinda like all adhesive sterile pads are "Band-Aid"s.

I am a little skittish around Naptha, it's very similar in composition to Zippo Lighter Fluid. It is a very good cleaner, and very stable, but with as accident prone as I am, I prefer something a little less flammable. Some of the newer cleaners are pretty good, but I am still using diesel fuel & kero mix in small quantities (my home made cleaning rack is portable and only holds about 1.5 gallons).

Alan, I use the same thing, I don't like VarSol around the shop. I have too many guys that don't pay attention to their on safety..

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:49 AM

I was refurbing a Honda CX500 before the flood took it the week i intended to have it running. I read on the CX forum that pinesol worked beautifully for cleaning carburators.
I mixed a bottle of pinesol and a gallon ofwater up in a plastic dish pan took the carburators apart and soaked them overnight and was amazed at how clean everything came out. I would try the pinesol/water solution so long as it was not cold enough to freeze. It's envoirnmenatlly friendly, no flameable chemicals and less obnoxious smelling.
and the pine oil is suppose to have a lubricating character that prevents oxidation.

Though the smell of pinesol always makes me think of hospitals.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2011 - 12:02 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 12:37 PM

Dang, I must be the only one who still uses a bucket of kerosene.
Actually, I just keep it in a heavy duty gallon jug and then use the bucket when needed. Then I dump it through a paint filter back into the jug. Been using the same stuff for years, but I don't do a whole lot of cleaning....

#14 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Dang, I must be the only one who still uses a bucket of kerosene.
Actually, I just keep it in a heavy duty gallon jug and then use the bucket when needed. Then I dump it through a paint filter back into the jug. Been using the same stuff for years, but I don't do a whole lot of cleaning....

cookie..no your not the only one..but mine does'nt make it back in the jug..mine is still in the Rubbermade tub that is about 8" deep and about 16"wide by 24" long...with the locking tabs on the lid..works good for me...I have heard that purple power and simple green work great..picked up from the dollar store...but if these are used in a parts washer w/a pump..there's lots of bubbles/suds..to deal with...B,
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#15 pdxlawn OFFLINE  

pdxlawn

• Member No: 6768
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:58 PM

There is a product T-9 made by Boeing that you can get at West Marine, Napa (I believe) and other auto/service stores. It is kind of expensive but helps to keep the part clean for a while. One of the advantages is that it can be sprayed on pretty much anything mechanical and electrical (it helps keep the part clean and is conductive), it also doesn't leave a film or oil like some other products which in time collects more dust, rust, or dirt rather than shedding it.
  • MH81 said thank you