Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Mf-620 Snow-Thrower Rebuild Thread


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

    Member

  • Member
  • Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts
  • Location: South shore of Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:52 AM

That is a nice work! I will have to find a way of doing this kind of treatment myself (:

I am wondering about molasses degreasing currently. Also seems effective

Keep up the good work!

#17 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts
  • Location: Northeast Connecticut

Posted October 04, 2011 - 03:44 PM

The thing with this method is that it will not only clean loose rust & paint, but it gets deep intp areas you cant get to. It will totaly convert the rust.

Here is a good link to explain what it does.
The science behind electrolysis

And here is one to explain how it's done.
Rust removal by electrolysis

Oh, and this guy is really good too.
Electrolysis

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted October 04, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Daniel did a really nice Write up, found here: Garden Tractor Talk - Removing Rust with Electrolysis

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts
  • Location: Northeast Connecticut

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I need to take some more photos, but I have all the parts in primer now. The auger needs a crack welded, but I need gas for my MIG. Next week I can pick up the main pulley shaft that drives the auger, it had a crack and I sent it out to be welded up. The other day I sandblasted a few of the small parts and brackets. Some of these were the non-painted parts like the springs and control rods. (etc) They were rusted and would not look good in the finished product. I decided that they were small enough to powder-coat them. So tonight I ran a batch or two through the oven. I just have the rod that connects to the PTO pedal to do. The problem is that it is too long for my oven and I need to build some sort of door add on to keep the heat in and bake the part. I could paint it, but I want to try keeping it close to original as I can.

Here is a photo of some of the coated parts. The color is pretty close to what they looked like new.

MF-620-34.jpg

You can see some of them in this photo. They really needed to be cleaned up, eh?

MF-620-D8.jpg


Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 09:27 PM.


#20 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts
  • Location: Northeast Connecticut

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Just a long over due update....  I do not have as much time or place to work on my tractor after moving, and I ended up buying a second blower to obtain the mounting bracket.  Right now, the (amazingly still in primer) blower is still waiting paint, but I have been running the other blower for a couple winters now and wanted to share some more photos.

 

Here is a photo of a hybrid of the two blowers.  I used some of the restored parts to set it all up, but for now it works and I really need to get the other blower head finished!

 

IMG_0360.JPG

 

IMG_0361.JPG

 

Lets take a second out to marvel at how awesome that gray paint looks, huh?  You can also make out that recovered original seat I had done.  This tractor has been getting restored a little here and a little there as the years go on. What I really want to do this summer is to see if I can find a way to design a mount for the mower deck, to mount to the snow-lower bracket that bolts to the frame and front axle.  I have a spare broken front mount, so I am not out any parts... but it would allow me to use the mower deck without pulling the front axle off!

 

IMG_0362.JPG

 

I had found a super rare belt cover on e-bay and just had to grab it too.   It did not have the hardware, so I used threaded rod and some custom made sleeves on my lathe.  I used lock tight to keep the threaded rod in the block, and stainless acorn nuts to allow easy removal to take the belt off.  (Yes,I really tend to over build things!)

 

IMG_0382.JPG

 

IMG_0385.JPG

 

IMG_0384.JPG

 

I used the chute and deflector from the 1st blower I bought as it was already in primer and ready to paint. The 2nd blower was missing the top defector and needed to be sandblasted. I added new cable, and turned a really cool (and totally over done) sleeve for the cable to mount to the chute, but I liked how it came out.  I had to do this because of the way the bolt attached the cable to the chute.  This allowed me to tighten the bolt to the chute, but leave the cables loose to move around but not tighten into the blower housing.  All the hardware is either replaced with stainless or powder coated.

 

IMG_0383.JPG

 

IMG_0452.JPG

 

IMG_0453.JPG

 

IMG_0451.JPG

 

So this is where the project sits now... I had to replace the chain at one point, but the chain bought at TSC was enough to build a chain for both blowers!  My plan is to finish and paint the 1st blower and keep the 2nd one as a back up in case something ever goes south and I need to keep working.  I am also eyeballing the blower mount arm I have as a spare and thinking that I can use it to build a plow blade mount from.  Then I could use the snowblower frame bracket for the blower, mower, AND a plow blade!  :wave:

 

 

 

 

 

 


  • MH81, BigWheelsClarky, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks




Top