I thought that I would start a new thread so y'all can follow along with another full rebuild. I picked this early style 620 snow-thrower from GT Talk member DMF in mid-September 2011. All in all it's in great shape and almost everything was there. All I am missing is the main bracket for the frame. With some great help from GT Talk members, I have all the photo's and measurements that I need to re-produce (and improve) the original bracket.
So, here are some photos that I know y'all enjoy so much!
Here it is just after I got it unloaded from the back of my Jeep.
The first thing was to let it soak in PB Blaster overnight and then tear it down. All in all, it is very simple, but the auger had to be pried out. Looking at the auger, there is just no free room to remove it. I will have to paint the inside of the housing and then re-spray the inside after I get the auger back in.
Anyway, with it stripped down, I pulled my makeshift electrolysis tank into the shop. (my garden trailer lined in plastic)
And after a few days, I pulled it out and hit it with the wire wheel on my grinder. That set-up works great too! Once I had it cleaned up, I flipped it over and back into the tank it goes! Now it needs to cook for a few more days before I can pull it out. After that, I can start in on the auger, chute, and larger brackets.
For now, half a week later... this is where I stand. I am quite pleased with how quick it's going and how simple the design is. I did notice a break on the cast arm that the pulleys attach to. I am going to look into the cost of having it welded, worst case, its pretty simple and I will just hand make one from steel. I will update this tread as I go, so tag it to remind you of new posts and enjoy the progress!
Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 09:19 PM.