15 replies to this topic

#1 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I bought this tractor last Saturday on Craigslist. He was asking $100 for it and I offered $80 and he took it. According to the seller, he was using it to cut grass two years ago and the drive belt broke and it has been parked ever since. The tires and wheels seem to be in good condition with minimal dry rot so I'm thinking the tires and wheels alone are worth the price paid. I need some help though. I realized I know nothing about the GT's. The seller gave me a manual (917.255910) that I believe is for a later model tractor but the pictures look identical to the tractor I have. The model number on the tractor is unreadable (looks like it might be 917.233702, but that number doesn't match anything). I thought the motor was an onan but now believe it's a briggs (can't find any numbers on the motor either). I've got a Suburban 10 and an SS/16 and the GT is completely different. The frame doesn't appear to be as heavy duty as the Suburbans and the engine is mounted sideways so that the drive pully faces the seat. There's was an identical tractor listed on ebay that the seller said was a 1984 with a briggs motor. I'm thinking this one is probably a late 70's or early 80's. Do you think this tractor is worth fooling with or should I use it for parts? I took a few pictures and any information you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!!
DSCF0003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0002.jpg
  • DSCF0005.jpg
  • DSCF0001.jpg
  • DSCF0004.jpg
  • DSCF0006.jpg

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Definately a briggs. check the 44,000 series

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 10:20 PM

Yes it is a briggs and i would say it is around a 84 model.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Boy, I would love to have that hood and grille. Nice tractor, pretty solid frame in those. Similar to the FF units.

#5 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 03:48 PM

Got it started today. Amazingly the battery took a charge and seems to be fine. Runs a little rough, no smoke but it may have either a knock or there is some sheet metal rattling. Probably needs the carb rebuilt. Wouldn't start from the switch, had to bypass and go directly to the solenoid. Probably one of the safety switches. The starter has some teeth that are broken and the sterring (spelling?) is kinda rough. All gears in the transaxle seem to work OK. Still trying to decide if it's worth fixing.

#6 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 02:07 PM

Kenny, I think I'm going to part out my GT 18. If your still interested in the hood and grill let me know and we'll see if we can work something out. Both appear to be in decent shape. The grill does have a dent in the lower portion of the sheet metal but you should be able to knock it out. The transmission seems to work just fine and the motor runs but not real good. Right now I plan on using the tires and seat.

#7 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 03:09 PM

You may want to find that engine some tin to help it cool better if you get it going good. I went through a 18hp briggs recently and found the knock originated with the keyway of the crankshaft gear. It only knocked on start-up and shut-down though. If you have a continuous knock you may want to check the end play as well as the crank bearings and of course the rods/crankpins.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 04:41 AM

Kenny, I think I'm going to part out my GT 18. If your still interested in the hood and grill let me know and we'll see if we can work something out. Both appear to be in decent shape. The grill does have a dent in the lower portion of the sheet metal but you should be able to knock it out. The transmission seems to work just fine and the motor runs but not real good. Right now I plan on using the tires and seat.

Replied to your message. That looks to be a six-speed. Pretty tough tractors. My grille shell is better, but I don't have the grille itself. Hood looks great from what I can see here. That's my biggest problem with mine. I will have to re route the Onan exhaust on mine. It is a 1981 GTV/16.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image0011.jpg

Edited by KennyP, October 05, 2011 - 05:38 AM.

#9 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Kenny, if it will help I can take some close-up pictures of the hood and grill to give you a better idea of condition. I'll let you have both for $25 if you're inerested. I guess the big question is how much will it cost to ship? I live in Atlanta, GA and you live in Tulsa OK. It's not heavy but would be a big bulky package. I don't travel out that way anymore since my sister moved to Alabama so I assume we would have to use UPS.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thought I would add this in here as my tractor looks similar. I got the hood and grille from dthomp17, sure is a lot better than mine. Today I brought the head light bezels in and repainted them in my color scheme. I will paint this with a Metallic Charcoal, which is almost a black. The stripe around the hood will be Regal red. olcowhand is going to fix me up with some decals. Anyway here's some pics of the headlights.
Image005.jpg
This is how they looked before. Next is after.
Image007.jpg
  • mikebramel said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,318 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Look better than new that way. Kenny, I like that!
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Looking good Kenny. Send us a picture of the completed project. I still have a lot of the GT 18 parts left (except for hood, grill, engine, and steering gear) so if anyone needs something, send me a pm.
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Looking good Kenny!
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 09:57 PM

Looks great Kenny, before long your going to have them all restored..
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 03:44 AM

Brian, don't know about restored, but at least refurbed. Fresh Paint can do wonders. This won't happen soon, large parts have to be done outside.