• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Sit back, prop up your feet and follow along as Kenny removes the old lean-to (8' X20') that was the main work area for the GT's. Going up in it's place will be a 12' X 20' 'car' port. This is an all steel unit, not one of those lightweight aluminum jobs. The first pic is of the existing structure just before tear down. I put this all together with screws, so it comes down fast.
Image002.jpg
The two other show some of the construction and my view out from under. Not much, but it was shade to work under.
A couple hours later,(okay more like 4) and the old lean-to is down and the first piece of the new 'tractor port' is installed Not much to see, but it is screwed to the 2X4 at each rafter tail location. Shouldn't go anywhere with out taking part of the shed roof with it.
Image006.jpg
The screws are 3" long, so go through the 2X4 and into the rafter tail. Didn't think to get a birds eye view for you guys. Sure looks different out there.
Tomorrow's installment will show more of the structure together so I can figure out where to put the post piers.
Back to work now!

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg
  • Image003.jpg
  • Image008.jpg
  • Image005.jpg

#2 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Kenny what you going to do with all the EXTRA SPACE ???? Let me go out on the limb it will be FULL before you know it lol.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Dale, it'll be full before it's built. Once it is done, I plan a 'dump' day to get rid of some of the treasures I had stored under there and they are not tractor parts. I could build lots of shelving, but have no walls to put them on. The end that is to the right is North and it will be closed in the keep snow out. I have a storm window I plan for that wall to let in light and air movement.

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:02 PM

glad you have extra room to have fun with. we all need extra room for our toys. I build a second garage 30x 42 with 10 walls, my first garage is 24x35 with a 10x 35 enclosed lean to. could not build just a post building the city said it has to have the same siding so the house and no higher than 16 feet. still need more storage space. should buy an old storage container or two a 20 or 40 footers. wouldn't need a building permit for them. that should piss off the zoning board

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 04:39 AM

That's going to be alright ,Kenny.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 05:15 AM

Hopefully I will have more of the frame work up today. Then it will start to look good. While I have the East side of the shed cleared, I need to scrape and paint it.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Got the outside frame work up, and located the post piers. Have temp posts holding it all up at the moment. Got the wall ready to paint this morning. Had to strip off all the trim boards and replace. Couple pieces there left to do. Coming along nicely. I need to get the camera out for you guys.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, where's the pics?

Glad you're making headway.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Had a lot of head scratching going on yesterday and totally forgot to get the camera out. I apologize and will do better today!

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Looks great Kenny, I need to get some more out building storage built for my place. One of my neighbors asked me why I started a junk yard in out Sub-division. I almost lost it with that guy.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:47 AM

Looks good Kenny. I'm interested to see the all steel car port.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hi Kenny

I just have an observation about the construction in the pictures where the 2x4 is screwed to the rafter tails. Am I correct in assuming that you are screwing into the end grain of the rafter tail? If so I would consider adding some metal hurricane brackets or some other method to strengthen the connection to the rafter. A lot of weight will be hanging off of there. It's hard to see exactly what is going on in the picture. I may be totally out to lunch here but I always like to build things strong. Thanks for the update/pictures. Do you have any help with this. It looks like a big job for one person.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. Brian (JDBrian) I had the old lean-to attached this way with no problems. Just remember, I live is a sub-division. Even 70 MPH winds have a hard time wreaking havoc with all the houses and fences around me. About 10'~ north of this is a six foot privacy fence. It is attached to the east side of a building. About 35-40' south is my house. About 20' west of it, is another house. Hard for wind to do much in that area.
Anyway, I took some pics. Not much has changed, just more clutter in the yard. But, until I'm done with this, I don't know what will end up where. Enjoy!
Image005.jpg
Okay, first two are pretty much the same as before. Third one shows how far existing roof overhangs. Five & six are self explanatory, I think. Last two are after the painting is finished for that side. Piers are full of concrete, will cut posts to length tomorrow. I moved the 'center' post 2' to the north, so I will have nearly 13 1/2' feet open near the front on that side. I spent about an hour looking at it this evening and believe I have the best solution to get the water off the roof. Easier to post pics than to try to explain.
(existing gutter will have holes covered by posts).
Enjoy and post any comments/questions. I'll be on for a while this evening and again early tomorrow. Then it's back to the grind.
Oh, yes. I do have some help with this, my red-headed, blue-eyed step child is here with us. Even if he wasn't here, I would still have this going up. Just a little slower.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image002.jpg
  • Image006.jpg
  • Image001.jpg
  • Image007.jpg
  • Image003.jpg
  • Image004.jpg

• mjodrey and MH81 have said thanks

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the update Kenny. That does look a lot bigger than the old one.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 05:31 AM

It's looking good ,Kenny.