• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ribusa OFFLINE  

Ribusa

• Member No: 6369
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hello, I'm new here and could really use some help. I finally bought a 420 on Saturday. I've wanted one for quite a while and could never quite line up money, time, and location but I finally made it happen. Its an early 420 #224XXX with a 260 grooming mower on the back, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't look like it ever had a center mount deck, (still has plastic boots on front/mid PTO splines). I also picked up a 4 way front blade supposedly off a 318, and thought with a small mod, (perhaps widening mount 2 inches I could make it work). The number on the plow reads: *M02870X555969* . Can anyone help me decipher this so I can figure out if I need to sell this piece and seek out another or if I can lightly modify this to work. This plow appears to be a version of a quick hitch or perhaps multi implement mount. Seems like the raise/lower bracket would stay on the tractor and the plow and hydraulics detach as a unit. Please help as I'm really scratching my head on this.
I have not found any pictures of this style mount anywhere yet.

Thank you
Ribusa

#2 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:55 PM

A pic would be a help I don't know the numbers maybe someone can help that way
The Deere quick hitch would stay on the tractor ,the blade it self should come off without any of the
hydraulics just the blade

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 04:41 AM

Ribusa,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Welcome Ribusa. Have you had a look at the parts diagrams for the 420 on JDParts.com. You should be able to look up the blade and hitch that fit the 420 by going in through the 420 parts diagrams. There have been a lot of different hitches over the years that will all fit the 54 blade. I am only familiar with the newer quick hitch ones. A picture would help to see if we can identify what you have. Good luck.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 12:05 PM

The model number is the M02870X, which is a 54 inch blade for compact utility tractors 655, 755 and 855. What you need is either a 54 inch blade, model number M00042X or the 56 inch blade, U056. I don't think even with the proper front hitch, that the blade you have will fit - it's for a bigger tractor. Here is a link that might help you find attachments for your 420:

http://www.weekendfr...eries-96201.pdf

One more thing, (and it's a minor thingy), coming from the mid-west and knowing what John Deere calls their implements, the proper nomenclature is "blade" or "front blade". Us mid-westerners and even John Deere used the term "plow" to mean an implement like a moldboard plow or similar type implements. Like I said it's a minor thing, but it does clear up confusion.
  • Rozwell Ranch, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thats good info Tmo. I use the 54 on a 2320 which is about the size of the old 55 series. The hitch is different but the blade is the same one I used on the x475.

#7 Ribusa OFFLINE  

Ribusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thank you so much for your interest in my problem and for your help and info. I wish I could have written this response earlier, but my days just aren't long enough. I guess I'll keep looking for the right plow. There is a plow for a 400 for sale relatively close to me. Because I'm still new to this, does anyone know for certain if a 400 front blade will fit a 420? I would hate to wind up with another wrong fit.

Thank you all again
Ribusa

#8 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 04:05 PM

Pretty sure the 400 series can use the same implements. The front mounts are wider on the 400s than the 300s. Use that link above to the WFM site. They have a listing of serial #s that match the tractor models.

#9 RLTherio OFFLINE  

RLTherio

• Member No: 7748
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Ribusa, do you still have the 54" front blade that is made for the John Deere 655 tractor?

#10 Ribusa OFFLINE  

Ribusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Yes I do. I wound up making a quick hitch that fits my 420. I kind of thought I liked the ruggedness of this plow with its 4 springs and such and after looking at the condition and prices people were asking for the proper blade for a 420, fabricating this mount seemed like my best option. I am not using , nor do I plan to use the 55 series quick- hitch frame that mounts to the front of a 55 series tractor so I will probably see if anyone on eBay needs that piece or get back to me a let me know if you have any use for the frame mount.

Thanks
Ribusa

#11 RLTherio OFFLINE  

RLTherio

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:37 AM

The reason I asked is that I just bought a 1986 John Deere 655 and I am looking for that particular blade model to plow snow with.

#12 RLTherio OFFLINE  

RLTherio

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Would it be possible to send me a picture of the 55 series quick-hitch frame? Thanks, Bob