• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:37 AM

Eric, I spaced out on what you said on the pic I posted. It would be nice if the manuals were a bit more informative. Sorry, Josh. Didn't mean to mislead you. Looks like Eric is on the right track. There are a bunch of plugs in that thing.

#19 joshtiffany OFFLINE  

joshtiffany

• Member No: 5435
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Kenny that little gear box is for the gear driven Ford 100.Sence it is an inverted Peerless transaxle,it needs a small gear box to reverse the input rotation.It doesn't tell you where or how to drain the hydro pump in any of the manuals.I've looked through a dozen or so service manuals and parts manuals.

Joshtiffany The hydro filter is inside the reservoir,so if you are planning on cleaning it you're going to have to take the cover off.Our 120 is down at the farm(15 miles away) and when i changed fluids,I took the cover off and stuck a funnel with a hose attached to it in the filter fitting and flushed the whole system out.It was a messy job but it has fresh,unburnt,clean fluid in it now.

I couldn't find a replacement filter filament so I just soaked the old one in kerosine and blew it out with air.

WOW I see in the parts list 2 small plugs on the bottom of the pump housing,you might get it to drain out using these.They are on the bottom of the pump housing and on the right side when sitting on the seat.I'll give that a shot if I ever need to do ours again.

Eric, what did you flush unit out with?

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,289 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Flushed it with clear Kerosine to get the burnt partials,dirt and water deposits.Do not start it up with Kerosine in there.
Dexron III might be the way to go with fluid.I put Type A in ours and it is a bit slow when moving forward for some reason but moves perfect in reverse.

Is Dexron III a lighter weight than Type A KennyP?
  • joshtiffany said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 07:55 AM

I don't think so. I believe it's all the additives that make it different. And I may be wrong here, also.

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 08:16 AM

Kenny is correct, it is mostly all about the additives. As for your unit being sluggish in one direction only, you have a Hung cushion valve letting too much pressure bleed off. Eatons are notorious for this.
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#23 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,289 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 04:29 PM

It acts like there's a blockage of some sort.It will go full speed BUT the engine will bog down really bad.Especially if you go up a hill or try to push or pull anything.
I'm going to bring the 120 up from the farm this weekend and take the valves out and give it a good going over.

Our 120 came to us in pieces.We also had a 100 with manual gear box and 3 spare trannys but the cast iron pulley on all 4 trannys was either broken or some one had welded them fast to the input shaft.After years of looking for a replacement pulley we ended up stripping the 100 down and using the Tins and unbroken aluminum dash,grill,wiring,carb and manual PTO on the 120.

We have an original sleave style hitch and a bolt on hitch,a nice Magnesium deck and the dozer blade for the tractor.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 29, 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Woe! That's different, check your brakes and be sure its not hanging up for some reason, and if alls good, then you may want to check the channel plate gasket/seals it may be feeding both sides, or those valves could be stuck in, rare but does happen, good luck with the old girl .

#25 joshtiffany OFFLINE  

joshtiffany

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:53 AM

It acts like there's a blockage of some sort.It will go full speed BUT the engine will bog down really bad.Especially if you go up a hill or try to push or pull anything.
I'm going to bring the 120 up from the farm this weekend and take the valves out and give it a good going over.

Our 120 came to us in pieces.We also had a 100 with manual gear box and 3 spare trannys but the cast iron pulley on all 4 trannys was either broken or some one had welded them fast to the input shaft.After years of looking for a replacement pulley we ended up stripping the 100 down and using the Tins and unbroken aluminum dash,grill,wiring,carb and manual PTO on the 120.

We have an original sleave style hitch and a bolt on hitch,a nice Magnesium deck and the dozer blade for the tractor.

Please let me know if you unearth a drain plug for the hydro.

#26 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• Member No: 6607
  • 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 06:45 PM

i may be wrong on this but the way i have always drained one of the older fords like a 120 or 100 , i would remove that cover with the filter underneath and let the hydro oil drain then jack or lift up the front of the tractor to get the last of the oil out then put the cover back on and fill up the hydro , also a siphon pump might do the job without haveing to remove that cover , you will want to remember to top off the hydro reservoir after driveing the tractor a little , the hydro unit is a sundstrand and i believe the differential is a peerless product

Edited by ford boy, October 01, 2011 - 09:20 AM.

• joshtiffany said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks, fordboy & Welcome! Mosey on over to http://gardentractor...-introductions/ . You'll get a fine welcome there.

#28 joshtiffany OFFLINE  

joshtiffany

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 05:49 AM

i may be wrong on this but the way i have always drained one of the older fords like a 120 or 100 , i would remove that cover with the filter underneath and let the hydro oil drain then jack or lift up the front of the tractor to get the last of the oil out then put the cover back on and fill up the hydro , also i siphon pump might do the job without haveing to remove that cover , you will want to remember to top off the hydro reservoir after driveing the tractor a little , the hydro unit is a sundstrand and i believe the differential is a peerless product

Good stuff Ford Boy!

#29 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Kenny that little gear box is for the gear driven Ford 100.Sence it is an inverted Peerless transaxle,it needs a small gear box to reverse the input rotation.It doesn't tell you where or how to drain the hydro pump in any of the manuals.I've looked through a dozen or so service manuals and parts manuals.

Joshtiffany The hydro filter is inside the reservoir,so if you are planning on cleaning it you're going to have to take the cover off.Our 120 is down at the farm(15 miles away) and when i changed fluids,I took the cover off and stuck a funnel with a hose attached to it in the filter fitting and flushed the whole system out.It was a messy job but it has fresh,unburnt,clean fluid in it now.

I couldn't find a replacement filter filament so I just soaked the old one in kerosine and blew it out with air.

WOW I see in the parts list 2 small plugs on the bottom of the pump housing,you might get it to drain out using these.They are on the bottom of the pump housing and on the right side when sitting on the seat.I'll give that a shot if I ever need to do ours again.

Hey Josh, I'm a lot late to the show here (only been on the forum a couple of months), and if you haven't found out for sure, The location indicated in this drawing are correct.  I am currently doing this and have the hydro drain plug out.  It is the larger of the two countersunk plugs and requires a 1/4 inch Allen key to remove it.  I can post a picture later if you still need it.

Jeff