• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reddragon OFFLINE  

reddragon

• Member No: 6412
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:40 AM

i bought another tractor.....a 1994 MTD Signature 2ooo elite.....46" deck 14sp.....18.5 opposed twin....it mows great....im just wondering what people here think about the varidrives?.....and more specifically...the larger one in this tractor?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1101[1].jpg
  • IMG_1104[1].jpg
  • IMG_1107[1].jpg
  • IMG_1103[1].jpg

#2 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Had one got rid of it I put new belts on it and the next year it needed new belts and you have to use the weird belts that go to it no other will work.

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:48 AM

From reading various MTD varidrive threads I sometimes think I'm unique but my '95 Wards Signature 2000 has had no problems with the varidrive. Zip, Zero, Nada. There's no hour meter on it but my conservative estimate is 1500 hrs. One of the belts is original. I swapped out the easy to change one while I was doing some service about four years ago, just for the heck of it, before I read anything about always changing them together. The tractor was in the weather but not in rain.

You often read of people having trouble with the pulleys not sliding but I didn't see it.

#4 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I've got nothing against the tranaxles in the 800 series MTD's like yours. The driveline gets a bad rep, but in most cases issues with the vari-drive itself are owner caused. Keep the contact points of the shift linkage as well as the variable sheave lubed with a graphite or other 'dry' lubricant...careful not to get it on belt contact surfaces. When the belts do wear out, use OEM type replacements and replace as a set. The only other issue you will run into with that rear end is (if they aren't already) the wheels will freeze to the axleshafts, making them a real bear to remove. A little Never-Seez will go a long way.

#5 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:34 AM

It was a good concept and all that and i loved it when it worked right, but I have allot of lawn to cut and it was just to much maintenance for me and i bought a brand new JD lt110 hydro and it was worse after about 400 hours it wouldn't climb the hill coming up from my back 2 1/2 now that was sad. I Now i have a old Cub Cadet Original That runs circles around the two of them I guess the oldies win every time!

#6 reddragon OFFLINE  

reddragon

• Member No: 6412
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 04:10 PM

yeah....i had a JD155 that lost that uphill ability.....had to sell at a loss.....then my beat up Craftsmans have carried on without fail....except a sticky brake cluster on one of them.....you gotta wonder sometimes

#7 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 08:36 PM

I'm not sure when the garden "tractor" bit the dust but these stamped steel wannabes just can't do the job, from what i see garden tractors are nothing but riding lawnmowers with bigger tires and a cup holder.