That thing is looking good Mike.

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,535 Thanks
  • 3,783 posts

Posted August 10, 2010 - 02:52 PM

Could you imagine coming across a snake in the patch while laying on your belly.

Up here some dirty drawers.
Down by your maybe a trip to the doctor.:(

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 06:53 PM

I wanna find out just where to get pickle seed. All I can find is cucumber seed. Sure would save a lot of work to simply raise the pickles!:bigrofl:

Mike, you're doing a great restoration on that picker! I've seen similar machines made for picking bell peppers, except they were skinny to fit between the rows. You sat on them instead of laying down, and steered with your feet. There was a hanger where you might expect to find handlebars, and you hung your burlap sack on it to put the peppers in. Maybe you can find one of those & restore also. I believe they were rear wheel drive though. Not seen one in 25 years.

#19 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:04 PM

That picker sure looks nice, Mike. Are you going to test it out someday? It would be fun to see a video of it in action.

#20 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I guess I'll just have to learn how to make and post a video and get some action shots of the picker and a few other things I have. Takes a while for an old dog to learn this new stuff!

#21 farmingkarman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9629
  • 4 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:59 PM

I personally spent lots of hours riding on one of these machines when I was a kid up in Crivitz, Wisconsin. We grew pickles in the 1960's for the Bond Pickle Co. which was located in Oconto, Wi. We cultivated the pickle "patch" with a two-row cultivator and the last time we cultivated each year we had a cultivator tooth set up to leave an extra-deep trench right down the center of each pair of rows which helped the unit self-steer. However, if there was a little bit of a sidehill we sometimes had to do some steering correction by hand via steering handles that stuck out of the drive wheel assembly on both sides. The motor on our unit was a 4 HP Kohler with a centrifugal clutch so that the unit would stop if idled up. There was a throttle lever right between us (picked with either my brother or sister) to easily vary the speed. Our Pic-Car was also equipped with a large red and white umbrella (may have been an option) that could be angled to about any orientation or else be folded up if we wanted to be in full sun. We had red vinyl cushions that contained approximately 2 inch foam padding. The wood platforms were strategically shaped so that your arms could hand freely for picking and the tapered front of the cushion hung off the front of the wood a little bit so that the cushion gave your chin some support but yet let your head lean down to a comfortable position. The cushion covered all but about the back foot or so of the wood platform so that your shoes rested on the wood rather than the vinyl cushion. It was convenient to just be able to lift up your inside leg behind your knee to tap the burlap bag with your foot to keep tabs on how full the bag was getting. We also made up a small wooden platform that rested behind the umbrella but in front of the elevator that we kept our thermos jug and transistor radio (purchased the radio with the first proceeds from our daily pickle checks). We made $5 an hour on average which was pretty good for pre-high school aged kids and it sure beat bending over carrying a bucket. With the three of us two would ride and one would pick the next row by hand with a small bucket so we could frequently dump the bucket into the bag on the Pic-Car. Do you know what the shield over the gear box is supposed to look like? If not I could probably sketch it up from memory and be pretty close to correct. Thanks for the memories
  • tractormike, OldBuzzard, caseguy and 1 other said thanks

#22 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,165 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 09:13 PM

That is slick.
I have never seen one before.

#23 A240 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83441
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:32 PM

I found this old post when doing a search for pickle pickers. I was wondering if you ever got any company literature or if you are interested in copies of brochures/manuals for an early 1960's model?

#24 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,253 Thanks
  • 7,482 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:27 PM

I got all excited about this until I saw it was 6 yo.