OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 01:39 PM

OK, found out why the 1256 doesn't want to run at full throttle.

Pulled the fuel line at the tank, opened the valve, and was just a trickle coming out of it.

Pulled the tank, poured out the gas, and removed the valve. That rascal was full of crud.

Looked, and then felt inside the tank, and there is crud/rust everywhere. Little bitty gritty pieces.

SO...how is the best way to get rid of this?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, that junk can really gum up the works. Had a car that someone threw a bunch of little pieces of asphalt in the tank. Real mess.

Anyways, here's a thread that covers it pretty well.

http://gardentractor...-gas-tank-9234/

Hope you get it cleaned up OK.

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 02:02 PM

Just read your link.

I was thinking that maybe some aquarium gravel might work. It's smaller than pea gravel, and might get the corners better. Think I'll' run out to "Wally World" and see what they have.

I was also eying the PLASTIC tank on the G10. It looks like it might fit on the 1256. I wouldn't be adverse to using a plastic tank. Sure would eliminate this rusty tank problem.

#4 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have two plastic tanks that should fit the Wisconsin. Both have been melted slightly on the back and one has been patched but I'm not sure how well. If you think you can patch it I'll send you one for the price of shipping.

If you don't want the metal one, I'll take it in present condition. I detest plastic.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Just read your link.

I was thinking that maybe some aquarium gravel might work. It's smaller than pea gravel, and might get the corners better. Think I'll' run out to "Wally World" and see what they have.

I was also eying the PLASTIC tank on the G10. It looks like it might fit on the 1256. I wouldn't be adverse to using a plastic tank. Sure would eliminate this rusty tank problem.

The metal Tanks became obsolete in the mid 70's I believe and then Bolens offered a plastic replacement tank for the older models. My 1050
has one of those tanks

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Picked 5# of aquarium gravel at Wally World. There were 4 colors, and they were all different sizes as well. I picked the one that wasn't the smallest, but looked like there were more sharp edges on the pieces. The smallest size looked like almost all of them were smooth.

Now, would it be best to use this dry, or with some water of gas in the tank?

I'm thinking that after I get all/most of the gunk out, I'll give that E-Z SAFE SOLUTIONS ® EVAPO--RUST™ , that was mentioned in a link inside your link, a
try as well.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 01:20 PM

I used Muriatic acid in the old Cub tank a few months ago.It ate the rust up and made it shinny inside again.But with the bare metal exposed it took mere minutes for it to get a rust coating on it.
I ended up cooking it again with Muriatic acid and used http://www.kreem.com...ner.html.Havent had a problem with it since.

My old 1050 tank wasn't as bad BUT after I used the gravel and shake method I had to solder 1/2 a dozen holes up.

My goofy uncle throws his rusty tanks in the cooking grill and cooks the varnish deposits out and then uses gravel.I've seen him go as far as cutting a tank in 1/2 and sand blasting it.

#8 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well, I have the tank mostly filled with EVAPO-RUST. Would have liked to filled it all the way, but at $19.00 gal. ....

Anyway, I'm going to let it sit for 2 hrs, and then turn it over, and let it sit another 2 hrs. If this stuff works as promised, I should have that 1256 PURRING tomorrow :D

OH, I also stopped by the local mower shop, and picked up 3 in-line fuel filters since NONE of my tractors have a fuel filter.