• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Glockwinger OFFLINE  

Glockwinger

• Member No: 6507
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hello all. I just purchased a 1992 265 John Deere garden tractor. Runs like a champ! Unfortunately it did not come with a manual. I purchased a download of the service manual for it, but still need to find an operator's manual. I have a question about the lift assist spring adjustment. When turning the handle clockwise to create more tension, the handle just snaps back around to a neutral position. Is there a trick to get it to stay tight or might I have a broken handle? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Glockwinger

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. We do not have a manual here for the 265. I am not familiar with that tractor. If you study the service manual and perhaps the parts diagrams on JDParts.com you may be able to figure out how it should work. By your description it sounds like something may be worn or stripped causing the problem, but that is only a guess. If you wait a bit there should be someone along with experience with these tractors.

Edited by JDBrian, September 25, 2011 - 07:04 AM.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:03 AM

:ditto: on what JDBrian said and welcome to GT Talk, you found the right place, hang out for a bit, there is a few JD guys that cane help you,

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Sorry, don't have the in for either, just stopped to say
:welcometogttalk:

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. Lots John Deere folks here.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Glockwinger.
Lots of Deere guys here.

#7 Glockwinger OFFLINE  

Glockwinger

• Member No: 6507
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome! The 265 was the garden tractor that had the lift lever on the right fender next to the hydrostatic shift lever. I can lift the blower and mowing deck with it, but would like to make sure the spring assist is functioning correctly. When I was about 25 years younger, I used to ride my grandfather's 318 and mow for him as a teen. Other than that, my JD experience has been limited to farm tractors.

JDBrian, that is a great looking tractor in your photo. Hopefully one of the many knowledgeable JD guys on this forum will know about this quirk.

Thanks!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the welcome! The 265 was the garden tractor that had the lift lever on the right fender next to the hydrostatic shift lever. I can lift the blower and mowing deck with it, but would like to make sure the spring assist is functioning correctly. When I was about 25 years younger, I used to ride my grandfather's 318 and mow for him as a teen. Other than that, my JD experience has been limited to farm tractors.

JDBrian, that is a great looking tractor in your photo. Hopefully one of the many knowledgeable JD guys on this forum will know about this quirk.

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment on the 314. Actually, it was in really rough shape when the picture was taken just after I bought it in April. It had a terrible paint job that looked good from a distance and all kinds of mechanical/ electrical issues. I have been working on it since then and now it is in pretty good shape. I got a lot of help from the many knowledgable people here and not just in the JD camp. Although there are forums for every brand, there are many folks who like all kinds of tractors and will help out anyone regardless of the make you have. It is one of the things that makes this a great place.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Welcome aboard Glockwinger. I would think the service manual would tell you how to adjust the lift asst spring? My Craftsmen GT3000 has a lift asst spring but runs under the frame it has a jam nut on that you have to break loose in order to adjust it. I'm not familiar with the JD225 so I'm not sure if this will help you or not. But we are glad you are here.

#10 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 01:58 PM

Welcome Glockwinger. I just purchased a 1991 JD 265 this spring and like it very well except for the manual lift. I'm too accustomed to hydraulic lifts on two older JDs that I use and I need adjustable height for my varied mowing situations rather than just "up" or "down". (Age 70 doesn't help either).

So, my solution was to remove the lift handle and helper spring, then install an electric actuator that works great. There was no way to place the actuator under the gas tank and between the frame and hydro cooling fan. So I mounted it on the back of the tractor beside the hitch and added an external bracket to the original manual lift shaft. Works great. I could probably email you photos sometime if you're interested.

Lee Schweitzer

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Welcome Glockwinger. I just purchased a 1991 JD 265 this spring and like it very well except for the manual lift. I'm too accustomed to hydraulic lifts on two older JDs that I use and I need adjustable height for my varied mowing situations rather than just "up" or "down". (Age 70 doesn't help either).

So, my solution was to remove the lift handle and helper spring, then install an electric actuator that works great. There was no way to place the actuator under the gas tank and between the frame and hydro cooling fan. So I mounted it on the back of the tractor beside the hitch and added an external bracket to the original manual lift shaft. Works great. I could probably email you photos sometime if you're interested.

Lee Schweitzer

Welcome to GTTALK Lee. That is a very interesting modification you made to the deck lift. I'm sure there are many people who would like to see the pictures when you get a chance to post them here.