• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ssfd721 OFFLINE  

ssfd721

• Member No: 6503
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:14 PM

i just picked up a case 222 today for what i thought was a deal. i have never owned a case and knownothing about them. i got the tractor home today and the second i got it off the trailer i was mowing with it. after about 10 min there was a high pitched whinning noise i shut off the deck and drove around it was still there so i ruled out deck noise. i put the throttle down just a bit and it seemed to go away and now i only hear it at full throttle also it also was surging while in low range and when first start in high range. tmr i will be shecking to make sure it does not have hydrolic fluid and is running 15w40 just looking for other ideas of what couldbe causining theses symptoms.

the noise is happening while moving forward and backward

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:47 PM

Sounds to me that it is in the hydraluic pump probably a bearing going out.Does it do it when sitting still?That is where i would start from what you say.

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:03 PM

Sounds to me that it is in the hydraluic pump probably a bearing going out.Does it do it when sitting still?That is where i would start from what you say.

I agree with that possibility that Bob just mentioned. Place the trans. in neutral (between high and low) between your legs while sitting on tractor and try again! keep us posted. Shawn

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:11 AM

Looks like you got help already. :welcome: to GTTalk.

#5 ssfd721 OFFLINE  

ssfd721

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 02:39 PM

just checked and it looks to be a combination of ATF and Motor Oil i will be flushing the system tomarrow i have heard of people running a little diesel through the system to clean it out befor adding the new oil has any one done this? and how much do i need.?

Edited by ssfd721, September 26, 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:41 AM

That system will not need to be 'cleaned' just drain it completely, refill it iwith the 15-40 Rotella and you'll be set. Although I am not sure this is the issue...hope it is...but not convinced yet...keep us informed...the pump can fail, and it sounds to me like the pump started to 'fail' and the previous owner tried to 'cure' it by adding ATF, then when it didn't go away he decided to 'off' the tractor...that tractor is well worth buying a pump for sure. But still not even sure it is the pump...
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Sure he isn't just hearing the relief on the TCV lifting? When I picked up my 76-444 it was missing a retaining ring on the travel spool, allowing it to travel too far causing the relief valve to lift and squeal like a three year old. Unhooked the linkage by removing the ball joint from the spool, put a new snap ring in place, re-installed and adjusted the linkage-works fine. Parts manuals are available free from Eastman Industries (the manufacturer) One can then see how these great machines are made. Surely want to get the atf out of your hyd. sys. Nutcase is right on with the 15w-40. keep us posted how it goes.

#8 ssfd721 OFFLINE  

ssfd721

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 16, 2011 - 10:00 AM

just got the atf out of it and put the correct stuff in made a big difference i have no more surging however i still have the noise problem going on sounds like its coming from the hydrolic motor but again only at full thottle and only with the tractor moving. it does notmake the noise when at full throttle not moving and does not make it at full thottle raising and lowering the deck which leads me to belive that its not the pump atleast if anyone has had the same problem let me know what you did that stopped it please.