John deere 317 kt17

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sknap83 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I have a 317 that uses oil like theres no tomorrow. How do you tell a series one kt 17 from a eries 2? I have a line on one from an ariens gt17 that runs great but I dont know if I want it if its a series one. I also dont know if the shaft sizes are the same. Is there a site I can go to to look up the numbers? Thanks

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:33 PM

the spec number will tell you which it is.Spec number 24000 and up is a series 2. 23999 and under is a series 1. belive that jd had a 1 inch crank and ariens was 1 1/8 but i be wrong on that.

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Go here for physical differences in a KT17 Series I versus a KT17 Series II, with pictures:

Weekend Freedom Machines: KT 17 serial # location and hydro life expectancy
  • Texas Deere and Horse, JDBrian and Trav1s have said thanks

#4 Gibby OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 12:27 PM

How hilly is you property? If it's relatively flat, you shouldn't have too much trouble with a series I. I have a 1982 317 with a series I, and it's one of the best running engines I have. You just have to work around its limitations and not run for extended periods of time across a slope. I have mostly flat property, but I do have a pretty good slope on one side. I've never had an issue, but I make sure I go up and down the slope, not across it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid after hearing the series I horror stories myself. Bottom line, it's nearly 30 years old and still running strong. Maybe the horror stories are blown out of proportion?

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Certainly over rated. It would have been better if the connecting rods were pressure lubricated. But, the older Wisconsin industrial engines had the same low pressure style lubrication and no one is complaining about them. I mean, you will hear the same problem with Onan engines, that have pressure lubricated crank pin and the rods blow. There is no replacement for the right amount and viscosity of clean oil

#6 sknap83 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Will my rotating assembly out of the series one work in a series 2? I have an spare series one with a bad block but have acess to a series 2 block that broke a rod. The one in my tractor needs rings but would like to use the tractor while building the motor. If I can use my rotating assembly in the series 2 block That is they way I will go. But I can also get this series one from the arens that runs. I am about to the point were If I am going to get the running motor I am better off puting it into one that I rebuilt so I know What I have. Its not going to be benificial to pay 300 for the series one and then have it go out right away. I am making this conclusion because the seller wont run it on the bench for me. Thanks for the input so far.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 01:29 PM

I won't buy it if he doesn't want to run it for you or offer a refund if it sound like junk after you install it. I always offered to bench run one when I had something for sale. Just my 2 cents.....