• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cubinator OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6494
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hey Guys:
I am trying to make more power for my s/a . I currently have a 25lb flywheel and a 30lb front pully.

Here's my thoughts, If I put a lighter pully on the front and a lighter flywheel I will be able to get better throttle response and possible turn higher rpm's thus get more speed. I am thinking this will get me down the track faster and possibly end up with longer pulls.

Looking for input from other S/A pullers

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,665 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Cubinator, :welcome: to GTTalk. I am not the person to answer your question, but hopefully they will be along soon.
BTW, what does S/A stand for?

#3 Cubinator OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6494
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 02:35 PM

S/A is short for Stock Altered
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:17 AM

That is just what the doctor ordered, you need rpm to make HP, and you definitely need an engine that has throttle response!

#5 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:40 AM

you also need the weight there to help the engine maintain the rpm. i wouldn't remove too much weight.:smile1:

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,422 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 09:54 AM

i dont see what your running but they make a billet flywheel for doing just this thing. Im surprised you dont have it in your rule book now. Cast flywheels arent safe after 4000rpm's and most make you change them out and run a sheild. I'd sit down when you price out the newer flywheel as there pricey.

#7 hotya100 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 11:24 AM

I don't pull stock altered myself, but was curious why you need "better throttle response". We aren't really rushed when we start out. I would think that a heavier rotating mass would help at the far end when the tractor is working it's hardest and struggling to keep the rpms up.

Edited by hotya100, September 26, 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:05 PM

I was always told to use weight for pulling and lightening for racing, the centrifugal force of weights trying to spin out helps an engine spin under load, sluggish to respond when you accelerate the throttle but the power is better under a load with the weights ''helping'' the engine spin, this is at a constant RPM, think in terms of a hit~n~miss engine, depended on weights entirely to run and ''make'' power.
with heavier weights added to the flywheel and a 60LB cast iron pully (example) the engine will ''lug'', that is if it is made right, billet flyweel is always better for higher RPMs, there are all kinds of ways to turn a engine into a lugger,

Before you do anything like this, be shure to consult and expert and run idears like this thrue your local garden tractor pulling association to see what is legal or not, good luck and looking forward to your puller.

#9 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:22 PM

25 pound flywheel should be more than enough for throttlle response.Gearing is what put hp to the ground.also port and polish will increase the air coming into the carb,more air means more fuel,more fuel means more power.