• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Well, I guess it's time to declare war on the coyote population again. In all the years, we've only had one calf brought down by them, but 2 more just the last 2 months. Both calves had escaped the safety of their momma cow & gotten through the fence in the neighboring field. I looked much of the day for this calf yesterday, but never could find it in the dense brush past the fence. The coyote sure found it. :mad2:
It had been dragged from the weed thicket along the gully line & partially eaten. Found it after searching through the briar thicket for an hour. Gonna load up the .308 and try busting coyote when I get time.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Sorry the coyotes got the calf. I am all for shooting them bastards. Plus it is good target practice :D

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Daniel, Just drop a ACME anvil or a piano on them! It works ,I saw it done once! Ahhhh just shoot them!!!!! Shawn

#4 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Daniel, we have an over supply of coyotes around here too. Some of the farmers around here are carrying rifles or shotguns to the field when they go out. Even in town, U don't let your pets out at night unless U are out there with them.:shoot3:

#5 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Daniel, if it wasn't so far I would love to help you with the coyote problem. I love the way they look at you when you call them in and all of a sudden they see you for the first time. BOOM! One of the most fun things I've done when hunting was get a double. They're pretty thick around here. I've had them pass within 150 feet of the house in the middle of the day (of course, I didn't have the 30.06 handy) and we hear them every morning and evening. Good hunting...... :shoot3:

Shawn said:

Daniel, Just drop a ACME anvil or a piano on them!

That's right Shawn, it has to be an ACME......maybe a stick of ACME dynamite laid in a hot dog bun. :blowingup:

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 01:11 PM

Daniel, that a bummer. Hope you start bagging them soon. And it's a source of winter wear also.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Sorry about the calf. they are fun to call and kill. Never have figured out what good they are for anything.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Daniel,sorry about the calf.

#9 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Try posting in a varmint hunting forum. You can most likely get responsible varmint hunters to come to your property and take care of the problem for you, and they get a new chunk of ground to practice their hobby.

#10 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:44 PM

We have groups here that specalize in there removal. Ussally wiat until the snow is on and then hunt them with dogs and 4x4 trucks. I think they get around 30 or so each yr. When one kills some stock, it takes it to the next level, as the law here allows you pretty much no holds barred on getting them stopped. I went though this back when i was raising chickens, and the owls where turning them into a buffet. The DNR guys told me as long as they hurt my lively hood, i could kill them on site. finally managed to cacth the culprate with some steel traps on the roof of the chicken house. Aint nothing worse than nature eating your stock up.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Aint nothing worse than nature eating your stock up.

Well, maybe. I've had a storm of mastitis the last few weeks. I have a cow that just came down with it last night, & expect her to be dead in the morning. Done all I can do....the rest is out of my hands. 4 more off the line being treated. Milk prices are up, but my production is down. Cow numbers are way too low too. Too many deaths the last 3 years due to heat complications, which can cause mastitis & other ailments way past the break in the hot weather. Back-grounded heifer numbers are lower than they've ever been too, but due to too many bull calves. Then the coyote kills a heifer! Sometimes I wish I could retire! Can't even get a simple job pumping gas, as they're all self-serve these days! Guess we'll muddle through this latest round....we always have.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Daniel, are there any breeding program you can institute that would give better resistance to it? Might call your ABS or Select Sire rep to see if they have any ideas...

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Very sorry to hear about your continuing troubles in a summer that has been fraught with them! Hope things turn around for you soon!

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Two years ago, any live coyote around here was worth $50. People were trapping them right and left. Then the state found out what was going on and outlawed all dog training using live coyotes. Now they are getting thick again.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I know all too well that we ALL have our problems. They just vary between us. I don't look for, nor want sympathy, but rather just need to vent frustrations. As trying as things have been, it could be far worse, and I am still a very lucky man. I know there are many members of GTT with so much worse circumstances that quietly deal with them. To those members, please...if you need to bend an ear, there are plenty of good listeners here at GTT. You don't have to go it alone.
That's what I love about GTT....the community feel!