Garden Tractor Forums banner

My Speedex Model 1430

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bhbuster 
#1 ·
This is my 1430. It is not pretty but it does run great. This was passed to me from my Stepfather. It has been setting in his shop for about 6 years. New points and ignition switch brought it back to life. I am hoping to be able to give it a good restoration within the next year or so. Thanks for looking.

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: SamMC
#2 ·
bhbuster,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.
That is a pretty good looking 1430 you have there.

#4 ·
Brian, welcome to GTTAlk. It looks like you have a very nice tractor there and a good candidate for a restoration. Don't forget to post some pictures when you do the restore.

#5 ·
Welcome, Brian. (Oh God, another Brian!) Nice 1430, looks like it can do some serious work. Good luck with the restoration and be sure to post some pics.

#9 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

The trailer on the back of the tractor is the front half of a Model A frame with an old Dodge Caravan rear end. The toolbox was left over from when I changed trucks and it would not fit in the new one. A coworker of mine used it for hauling goats at one time and had no need for it. My Stepfather re-fabricated it to hold the toolbox and the Caravan rear end. When I got it, it still had the front axle off of the Model A, but the rims where so rusted out that they were not worth saving. It makes for a great cleanup cart around my 3 acres and it is more than road worthy if needed. Thanks for asking!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone!

My 1430 is still running great. I have added a few minor modifications such as a cement weight to the rear to help with grading the driveway. Placed some old wheel weights on the front to help keep the front end grounded. Biggest thing was cutting off the old spindles and having stub axles butt welded on. This allowed me to upgrade to new front wheels with ball-bearings and packed grease. Mechanically this thing is very sound. One of these days I will get around to giving this thing a paint job...

Here is a link to the spindles: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442385_200442385

Here is a link to the tires: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48405_48405

-Brian

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a 1430 and sold this summer, pix here somewhere. I like those and 1630, and think some of best of Speedex models. I now have either late S-24 or 1630, haven't figured out for sure yet, about the same as yours. That is a project. I really WANT one of those front weight brackets like yours, nut can't find anyone that wants to sell theirs. Probly be making one when I get to it. Love that rear weight, is diff than most. Front spindles with Real bearings in wheels, sounds like good idea. Hard to find new bushings like used. Not sure how durable bushings are, never worked mine hard to test. Darn axles being 1" makes it hard to match bearings also.

I also have 1240 with transaxle and foot boards, headlights in grill that I want to get back together. Kind of a "Modernized" Spdx in that and has Kohler engine and FOOT clutch. Think will be easier to run at least. See you on here.....

I see these are 1" axles already, neat! Have to keep that link for future use.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a picture of my hitch.

The front bumper is a Speedex bumper that has been cut off. A piece of flat iron was shaped and welded on so that the wheel weights could be bolted on to the front.

The rear weight is a cement stair tread.

Thanks
Brian

Attachments

#16 ·
Wow! that was ONE HUGE picture there. Had to move around to see it all. Yep, that is 3pt arms, but first I have seen that bolt on sides and not just go up to the main pivot on frame. Maybe I can do that with what I have? I see someone added couple springs for lift assist. Wonder if that was a Speedex set-up? You run accross more diff stuff with this brand, makes you wonder if any tractor was ever alike as it came from them? That is nice tool bar, hadn't seen one of those for 3pt either, but seems stought. Only problem with non-moving arms is it has to fit all your equipment widths, which may not be same if not Speedex brands. That's another thing to think about when putting such thing on tractor. I LIKE it! Making me want to get mine out and start, but not this winter, too much other items to do and don't like working in cold shop anyway.

#17 ·
I will try to fix the picture. I had another Speedex that I stripped down for the extra parts. I installed the other spring to see if I liked it better. Seems to work better with the heavier weight on the back. As far as I know, everything is Speedex original as both tractors had the exact same setup. On the bar, my step-father welded tabs to help hold my cement weight in place.

-Brian

#18 ·
Not to bad for a Saturday morning shade-tree paint job on a 40 year old tractor. The hood and side belt cover painted using farm and implement spray paint - $12 total. Rear wheel painted for $1. Also figured it

was not complete without bolting a $5 toolbox to the fender...

Attachments

Reactions: Alc
#19 ·
Looking better. That front rack has the bar accross top that holds on the Suit-case style weights that hang over the edge then, if you should find or have any. Toolbox?.......Nahhh! Those fenders are just bent sheet steel, no real support out there. I was always gonna put a headlight in front of mine like some had, but never did. That would beef them up some with metal there. Tools get heavy you know. I've seen them bend a bit with just resting on them to get off the tractor. Later ones have beefier fenders that also go down to the floor boards and give more support then. Decals can be gotten if you wanted. Mike Hamper in Ohio does those. Can buy one or set, whatever you wish. Go to www.speedextractorinformation.org for the address for that.

#20 ·
Decided to tackle the front grill guard and the rear draw bar (or whatever the correct tractor term is). I just used a wire brush grinder and cheap paint. It stays indoors so not to worried about it. I keep telling myself one day I will break it down, sandblast it and do a frame-off type restoration. Since the wife has decided we are now going to build a house it may remain just wishful thinking.

Next time I get out and grade the road will determine if the toolbox is helpful or just a nuisance. It is just there to hold a bunch of straps I use when I have my large cement block on the back. In the end I will probably toss it when I repaint the fenders.

Not sure if I will put decals on my spray-can job. I will have to see if the paint holds up and then decide. At the end of the day, for me, I have to remember it is a work tractor and not a "show" tractor. However, it is fun to tinker with...

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.