CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:29 PM

How rare are speedex's? Does anyone know production numbers by year or were they like other manufacturers ...just build em till the year ends ...then build more?

I think I read somewhere that their peak output was 1000 units/year...which if you compare that to the 61-63 Cub O...that is nothing...Cub O's had 20,000 produced each year 61-63 so that would make speedex's much more difficult to find...

Reason being I think I'd like to collect them, they seem pretty cool...but I am not sure about the scarceness...or even value of them, but I believe rarity creates value. It seems you can always find one or 2 for sale...not sure if that is a good thing or not...

Anyone advice?

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I had a model c walk behind from 1954 to 56, that is about as much info as i found on it, no model number on it anyweres, just a few meaningless casting numbers, spent years looking, the ride ones are easier but not many were made, depending on the model and year some are harder to find, parts are even harder to find,
more or less it's up to you and what you like, i miss my speedex, handy little tractor,

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:59 PM

I used to own a S19
It was a pretty nice tractor, I really dont know much about them though

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input...I am thinking about plunging into the speedex market... I have a few Cases right now and a Colt - and I love them...an opportunity to get a speedex is right in front of me and while I think they're cool and the deal is incredible I am not sure...I guess I have to consider it...but they certainly do look pretty heavy duty, and most have been around a long time so I guess that speaks for their durability...but not sure about how they 'work', but if they didn't 'work' ...then they wouldn't be around...so I have some considering to do...

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have no idea on production numbers but have seen a few of them around. I have a mid 1960's S-24 which was their biggest model at that time. They are well built and simple but not very refined or styled for the time. My tractor looks like tractors built in the 40's and 50's compared to what most other tractor brands in the 60's looked like. As to working though it is like a tank. The 8x16 inch rear tractor tires with 100 pounds of wheel weights on each side and it will pull a 12 inch plow like nothing. At our plow days people were amazed that it did such a nice job plowing
Mine is a rusty but straight tractor with to much "character" to think about repainting it.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:21 PM

try it nutcase, they are well built, one of the tractor companys i wish lasted, if another one comes along, walk behind or ride on i might grab it,

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:30 PM

You might check out www.speedextractorinformation.com There is a lot of good info there.

#8 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks guys...I am thinking I will...although I kinda feel like a traitor to my beloved Case brand (see my Torq hood...it is a Very Rare bird for case tractors)...I saw an article in LAGC in a 2008 issue when I first started collecting a friend of mine shared the 2008 issue...(I got my start last year)... When I saw that issue and thought to myself 'those look cool', now this opportunity presents itself...I think I will...If I do ...I'll let you guys know...

Thanks again,
Jim
'NutCASE'
  • MH81 said thank you