How to clean a gas tank?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 BcKc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 01:10 AM

I have found that a lye solution works great, just find a container that the fuel tank can go into and fill with lye and water, sink your tank into it an come back in 24 hours.
All paint is off, rust is very loose now, put in a hand full of bb's or other "round" object ( this helps to stop dents if the tank has a thin skin) and tumble for a bit to remove rust and break up large flakes of rust.
I like the strap it to the wheel idea! or you wrap it in a couple of thick rags, wrap in tape and toss in dryer( thick rags keeps you in the good books) with no heat. This tumbles at a very slow rate and can be checked often.
good luck with the tank resto and let us know what works for you!

#17 FuzzyOne OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6603
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 10:58 PM

A lot of guy here take them to the radiator shop and have it dipped in the tank used to clean radiators in. I have cleaned them up by putting a large hand full of 1/4 nuts inside, the ones that dont shale out later, you can get with a magnet.

I did the 1/4-20 nut trick mixed with kerosene on a very rusted tank. Worked great.
My bad experience with the radiator shop vat on a pickup truck tank was all the bug left overs from the radiators. Like to have never got all of them out.

#18 Guest_ACguy1994_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 26, 2011 - 08:18 AM

if i ever need to clean a tank im going with evaporust. stuff made in canada always seems to work great.

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 08:28 AM

I like the BB idea! smaller "objects" sound like they'd get into the tighter spots pretty well!

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I like the BB idea! smaller "objects" sound like they'd get into the tighter spots pretty well!

Yes and after using them in a motorcycle tank, I found them easier to get out of the tank than some things suggested.

#21 sknap83 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:10 AM

My dad puts pea gravel in them then straps it inside an electric cement mixer. Goes in the house and has lunch then comes out to a clean tank.