• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fordphan OFFLINE  

fordphan

• Member No: 5841
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:49 PM

I have an older, 1957 I think 350 IH that has been in a shed for a long time. The tires are good and hold air and the motor is free. The gas tank needs cleaning real bad. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to accomplish this? Thanks in advance.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Dads backhoe is that model. Cleaned it 20+ yrs ago and coated the inside. I think we used washed pea gravel & water for a while then pea gravel without water then flushed a hundred times and coated. We took turns from time to time shaking it, but there are some smart fellas here who have been taking tanks and lashing them to their GT wheel and go mow. Your tank may be oversized for a GT wheel, but the concept is a real time(& arm) saver. Just go at a speed that will allow the gravel to fall.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:03 AM

:ditto:

I use the same method, It works great

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:09 AM

That's a pretty cool idea. Need to file that away, just hope I can find it when I need it.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:22 AM

:ditto: on the stones, worked very good, then re-coated the tank, be carfull with badly rusted ones, uncle was looking at me funny when i did that to a briggs model 6 round tank,

#6 fordphan OFFLINE  

fordphan

• Member No: 5841
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 02:07 PM

I had done it with the gravel before. I thought maybe someone had come up with some kind of solvent or other way. I know I wore my arms out shaking that tank, it was on a motorcycle. Thanks for the help.

#7 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have used BBs. They work also.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:57 PM

They sell this stuff at TSC for $20 per gallon... Haven't gotten brave enough to try.

Evapo-Rust: frequently asked Questions and Answers

#9 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 10:46 PM

Dads backhoe is that model. Cleaned it 20+ yrs ago and coated the inside. I think we used washed pea gravel & water for a while then pea gravel without water then flushed a hundred times and coated. We took turns from time to time shaking it, but there are some smart fellas here who have been taking tanks and lashing them to their GT wheel and go mow. Your tank may be oversized for a GT wheel, but the concept is a real time(& arm) saver. Just go at a speed that will allow the gravel to fall.

That's a great idea but my neighbors already think I'm strange (OK maybe they know I'm strange). Can you imagine the looks they would give me if I was riding my JD model B around the yard in circles with a large gas tank/maraca strapped to the wheel!?

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Momma would have me committed for doing that!

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 06:57 AM

...Can you imagine the looks they would give me if I was riding my JD model B around the yard in circles with a large gas tank/maraca strapped to the wheel!?

:bigrofl: Yeah, they look at you funny at first, but after a while they just shake their heads and keep on moving LOL.

#12 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Buy some Muriatic acid, dilute about 5x with water and put that in the tank, sloshing it around for a few hours......that will dissolve the rust.....Be careful with it.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 03:54 PM

I was wondering if the electrolysis system would work in the really bad ones, then a minimum amount of shaking would need done.

Get all the fumes out, fill with solution, clamp the neg cable on the outside & drop in a positive electrode that won't touch anything. Let her cook for a few hours.

Looking for opinions here, :anyone:

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:10 PM

A lot of guy here take them to the radiator shop and have it dipped in the tank used to clean radiators in. I have cleaned them up by putting a large hand full of 1/4 nuts inside, the ones that dont shale out later, you can get with a magnet.

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Ive used a 2 -3 step process.

First, clean the tank out with a strong soap solution and hot water. If you don't get the grease/oil off the tank walls, you can't get it clean. I usually add a hand full of old lug nuts or some old bolts. Agitate - whatever/however..... Agitating lets the nuts and bolts knock most of the scale off the rusty areas - same as you would wire brush a rusty surface. I use a parts magnet to get any nuts that can't gravity drain out when I am done. Also, while tank is full, look for leaks and pinholes. Fixing those is a whole nother issue!

Second Flush and coat the inside with phosphoric acid or some type of rust converter. Move the tank around every few hours to make sure all interior surfaces get a good coating. Usually let it etch overnight...

Third, flush the tank and rinse with acetone, alcohol, or gas drier addetive- to absorb any left over water in the tank.

Have done this a bunch of times and it always seems to work - but the first step is the most important!!!