20 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Just to refresh everyone's memory, early this past summer I brought home two tractors, a MF 12G and an 8G. It looked like the 8 was in better shape, so I began fixing it first, with a new steering sector gear off e-bay, and a new set of blades from my local Massey dealer. With those issues resolved, I started to do some cutting, and got about 100 feet and the engine threw a rod and died. I spent the next several months looking at motors everywhere, trying to find one that would fit. I decided that none of the 9 hp imports that I was finding would fit. After a lot of looking I found the tecumseh "formula" series on ebay being sold by Small Engine Warehouse. My wife told me "Go ahead" so I ordered the engine and it arrived earlier this week. Here is how the two engines look.
IMAG0237.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0238.jpg

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:25 PM

I pulled the old engine out and started bolting in the new one. The new "formula" engine was a direct bolt in. Just had to transfer the old drain pipe to the new engine. One of my boys helped me. I'm afraid we got his school shirt a bit dirty. The only thing that wasn't compatible was the new oil tube and dipstick. This is a problem because when the stock fuel tank is installed, the new dipstick is too high and sits directly under the tank. I first tried bending the tube, trying to get out from under the tank. That didn't work, so I looked round and found that the dipstick tube just screwed out. Then I found that the dipstick from the old HM 80 would screw right in without using an extention tube. I used my dremel tool to shorten the dipstick, then used the original dipstick to transfer the markings to the newly modified dipstick.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0242.jpg
  • IMAG0240.jpg

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:43 PM

After the dipstick issue, everything else went well. The tank that came with the new engine has been set aside for a future project, the original tank fits neatly above the new engine and the engine profile is the same. I'll probably install the original muffler on the new engine to keep the exhaust in the same place. I still need to hook up the choke cable and there may be an issue with the air cleaner clearance to the original grill cut-out. I took it out for a test drive and cut some grass along the front lawn. The tight turning radius is astonishing. This old girl should be good to go for a while now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0241.jpg
  • IMAG0239.jpg
  • IMAG0243.jpg

• JDBrian said thank you

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:52 PM

You can probably bolt the Massey 8s factory muffler on the new engine and also the original air cleaner assembly instead of the oval one, that way it fits the cutout in the grill.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Glad you got this sorted out. I remember your disapointment when it through the rod.
Other than the odd minor issue here and there, that rig should cut grass for a long time.
I've got an 8 that will need repower soon. Your solutions sure sound like the way to go.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:33 AM

There's some good news! Glad you found one that would bolt in. :thumbs:

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:56 AM

I should mention a couple of things about this engine. Even though it is listed as a Formula LH358XA-159538, when I opened the box the engine manual displayed "HM80-HM100" on the front cover. It is electric start with recoil backup, so I have preserved the electric start capacity of the mower, as well as a charging circuit, two things I was reluctant to give up with a new engine. Also, the original engine was rated as 8 hp and this one is a 10. I have to say, the extra power was noticible at the deck, the engine just powered right through the grass yesterday, we'll see how this goes over the next few days. Small engine warehouse does NOT list this engine as a HM replacement, although they are willing to admit that it "might" work.

More than likely, this will be a tractor I will let my older boys use. They don't have the leg length or strength to operate the 12G clutch. I think I will try to add some sort of safety device so they can't get out of the seat with the tractor running. Those blades running underfoot worry me.

Howard

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Question: One of the rubber mounts holding the engine pan to the frame was badly deteriorated, and long term should be replace. Anybody know a way to replace those bushings? I'm thinking say fender washers and some sort of rubber donut, just not sure where to find a rubber donut.

Howard

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Finished up with more of the details of installation. The old muffler bolted right on the new engine, and the old air filter fit right on the new carburettor. I had to improvise the choke cable clamp. The hood went back on today and I replaced the old worn out seat as well. The kids clamored to drive it, so I let them run it around the yard for a while. I took it back and started running the mower deck over some unkempt fescue. I'll have to adjust the deck as it really scalped the turf if left to its own devices.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0247.jpg
  • IMAG0246.jpg
  • IMAG0245.jpg

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Nice that it's all fitting together.
Those dampers are available at Jacks.
2pcs of 532016M1 $17 and change each.
rear one is 534743M1 $30

You might want to call a massey dealer to see what they want.
Also, I've seen here, where guys have gone to a JD dealer to find the identical mounts for other applications, for much
less $
  • JDBrian and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 08:55 PM

I ordered two mounts for the front, and an idler pulley for the clutch. Now the deck needs a little welding where there are some cracks. I've added some larger guide rollers to raise the deck up to about 3.5 inches at max extension, but need to get some cracks welded where the guide arms attach.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Just curious. Where are you getting the mounts from? if you don't mind. For reference.

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 10:25 PM

From Jacks.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Looks good. I have seen those engines and wondered if they were a direct HM80 replacement. It looks like a pretty painless re power.

#15 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• Member No: 6607
  • 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 05:25 PM

looks like the repower went pretty easey and is a really clean looking job