• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• Member No: 2212
  • 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Got a problem, this tractor originally had a 20hp Kohler Mag and i transplanted a 18 hp Briggs as stated above. while checking the the elec pto clutch with engine off it clicked in and out but, after a couple of minutes smoke started coming from the stator area, i turned off key and smoke stopped. Now figuring something is fried I just pulled motor and removed flywheel stator is cooked.

It was a single (black) wire stator, everything was coated with gunk, grease etc. even the coil to flywheel contacts had a layer of gunk on it. question is did the grease cause this or was it something else ? I got another stator that bolts up but it has two wires red&black can I use this or do I gotta get an exact replacement ?

#2 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:45 AM

Sorry I cannot help you and sorry you are stll waiting for some help! Maybe some of the craftsman pros will help over the weekend.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:58 AM

I wish I could help. Do you happen to have engine model numbers?

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:26 AM

Sorry,I can't help either.

#5 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 06:06 PM

tractor model 917.255950
the newly swapped motor Briggs # 422437-0749-01

I found another single wire (black) stator, next question is I have two wires 1 (red) from key ,1 (orange) from light switch. I posted this on another forum and they said something about a vol regulator. I traced all my wires and cannot locate a regulator. So I am wondering if I get this reg will this solve my problem and what wires do I connect to the 3 prong regulator ? I would just hate to install this new stator and have this one fry also.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:43 PM

I spent a little time tracking this. It appears that they used 4 different alternators on that model engine. Some were regulated and some weren't. The most & best info seems to be on this page: Craftsman Garden Tractor Not Charging - Tractors Forum - GardenWeb

There are pictures of how the regulator would hook up and also a wiring diagram. It appears that the diagram is for a 2 wire 16 amp unit.

I will continue to look, but thought this worthy information. It may be that you need to use a 2 wire with the wiring in that tractor.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:56 PM

I just had an idea, you were having problems with the PTO, then this happened.
2 thoughts:
1. With the electric PTO, you will want a larger charging system than the single wire units seem to be rated for. There was a page that talked about a 12 amp single wire alternator, but couldn't find any info beyond that. They seem to be in the 5-10 amp range from what I can tell. The lower ones not being regulated, and the lowest ones only a partial circle.

2. Are you certain the PTO or wiring doesn't have a partial short? If it does, you could be getting excessive current draw and that's what did the cooking.

Another tidbit I found was the flywheel Magnet size makes a difference in charging output rating on some of these.

I'll keep bouncing ideas as they work their way to the top... :anyone:

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Time to just add a 37 amp Delco Remy (Chevy) alternator to it and abandon to crappy under the flywheel alternator. :D

#9 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Time to just add a 37 amp Delco Remy (Chevy) alternator to it and abandon to crappy under the flywheel alternator. :D

thought of that after we talked the other night but I think I am gonna flip this gt and look for some more older ones, wanna keep it as close to as original as possible.

#10 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:40 PM

I spent a little time tracking this. It appears that they used 4 different alternators on that model engine. Some were regulated and some weren't. The most & best info seems to be on this page: Craftsman Garden Tractor Not Charging - Tractors Forum - GardenWeb

There are pictures of how the regulator would hook up and also a wiring diagram. It appears that the diagram is for a 2 wire 16 amp unit.

I will continue to look, but thought this worthy information. It may be that you need to use a 2 wire with the wiring in that tractor.

ok, thanks for the info, I do have both a 1 & 2 wire stator just not sure of the wire combo hook up and if I need or dont need a regulator. the 1 wire stator was off a 16hp twin Briggs and the 2 wire was off a 19hp Briggs

#11 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:46 PM

I just had an idea, you were having problems with the PTO, then this happened.
2 thoughts:
1. With the electric PTO, you will want a larger charging system than the single wire units seem to be rated for. There was a page that talked about a 12 amp single wire alternator, but couldn't find any info beyond that. They seem to be in the 5-10 amp range from what I can tell. The lower ones not being regulated, and the lowest ones only a partial circle.

2. Are you certain the PTO or wiring doesn't have a partial short? If it does, you could be getting excessive current draw and that's what did the cooking.

Another tidbit I found was the flywheel Magnet size makes a difference in charging output rating on some of these.

I'll keep bouncing ideas as they work their way to the top... :anyone:

I looked the harness all over with a fine tooth comb did not find any wore or bare wires.

#12 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:35 PM

Well I found the problem and got the C-Man running and mowing great. The previous owner had hacked the wiring going to the stator on the Briggs. So I found another matching stator in my parts supply, installed it along with the diode harness (pic below) this model does not require a voltage regulator. This solved all my problems and just wanted to report back so if someone else runs into this. The tractor is running, charging and mowing great.

Attached Thumbnails

• diode harness.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Glad to hear you got it running & charging. Isn't it amazing how much havoc a little creative wiring can cause?
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 12:05 AM

Mine had so much creative wiring I tore it all out and wired it myself.... and fried the magneto. Then tore up the booster fan getting to the magneto... and the thing has been apart since MAY!!

#15 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Dont ya hate it when people hack into the wiring, I do. lol