#31 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I got spark! Got the engine together this morning and after a failed attempt to go get the parts I needed, I scrounged about and made a trigger coil out of some scrap wire off of some disassembled electric part, a plastic bobbin, some super glue, and a magnet I stole off the back off a small truck emergency light. I am not sure if the super glue will stand up the the vibration but I figured it will at least get me started. I don't have any pics of the engine right now but I do have a couple of the trigger coil.

IMG_0015.jpg

Got to go make supper so didn't get it running today but hopefully tomorrow or soon but I still need a rubber O ring for the carb. Am pretty happy right now though after seeing some spark at the plug. :dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0013 (2).jpg

#32 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 11:39 AM

Got it to run today. Made the O ring I needed for the carb out of some rubber I had setting around. Didn't have any of the shields on so didn't run it long enough to heat up but once it got gas to the pump it started right up and idled low and smooth. Pulled the throttle lever up a bit and it picked right to the higher rpm. Man am I tickled.

I need a few things still to assemble it and run it around: gas line, gas tank(I don't trust the patched tank), shutoff fitting for the gas tank(current one leaks like a sieve), the pulley on the flywheel to pull start it until I get the starter rebuilt(the one on it now is from the wisconsin and didn't line up so I made the 'adapter' you see), and the bolts that hold the motor to the frame.(somehow misplaced them so grabbed a few from the bolts bin for temporary) I haven't put the timing light on it yet to see if at speed it advances the spark 17 degrees so may have to mess with that. Here are a few pics of the cobbled up job I rigged to check if it ran.

IMG_0013 (2).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0014.jpg
  • IMG_0016.jpg
  • IMG_0015.jpg

#33 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Glad to hear you got it running :thumbs:

#34 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 21, 2011 - 05:01 AM

Some updates. I did get the engine together and running but I didn't have the right wrench to tighten the flywheel nut so I was able to mow for about 15 min until it completely sheared the key.:wallbanging: Waiting on two of them to come in and need to get the right socket. In the mean time it has been like Christmas. Got three boxes in the mail in the past few days. The right flywheel pulley, a carb and air filter assembly, and a metal gas tank. The air filter assembly is for a that engine but not for that engine in a Bolens. Had to make a backer piece for it so it would fit under the hood. I don't have any pictures right now but I'll try to get some soon.

#35 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 05:31 PM

Got the flywheel keys today and put one in. Torqued the flywheel nut down and took it out to mow. Works great except I need a voltage regulator and it smokes like a chimney. Need to mic. it next time I have it apart to see what it needs. After a few hours of mowing it wasn't running right so I drove it back and it ran rough for a bit then died. Pulled out the voltmeter and the battery was dead. Glad it didn't die out in the field. Would have been a long push back. It is on the charger now and I need to put the tiller on it to prepare the garlic bed this week.

#36 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:05 AM

Well last night I won a hydraulic lift of ebay for the 1253. Will be really nice for tilling. I'll post some more updates when it comes.

The tractor also smoked like a smothered fire, but it seems to be slowly clearing up so I'm hoping it is just breaking in the rings. It runs like a charm but the governor is a little sluggish so if your not used it, you can stall it pretty easily. Just have to ease into loads.

Here's some other threads of with the 1253.

Now I'm ready, Let it snow

Some garden work

Edited by Lovintractorin, November 27, 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#37 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Congrats on the new Hydraulic lift!! :dancingbanana:

#38 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Congrats on the new Hydraulic lift!! :dancingbanana:

Thanks. Can't wait for it to come. I thought $170 was a good price. It looks like it is only missing the belt. I waited to 20 sec. to place my bid and it popped up with" please log in" :wallbanging:Boy oh boy, that was not what I wanted to see. I logged in and confirmed bid about 1 sec left. You talk about sweating. Little more excitment than I wanted last night. I think I was a little lucky my computer didn't delay.

#39 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:58 AM

Good buy on the lift. I was watching that one, I would have bid but I decided I wanted to buy the 1254 for 200.00 instead of the lift. I will eventually get a lift for the 1254 hopefully they will keep showing up on ebay.

#40 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Got the lift in the mail a couple of days ago. Here are a few pictures. The rod does have a little rust spots on it and one of the hoses is taped for some reason, maybe rub wear from contact with the seat pan. Should get new hoses sometime. The control lever is only spring return in one direction so it think it needs a new return spring as well. Anyone know where to get one? If I remember right they are kinda hard to come by.

I don't think I am gonna try to install it till next spring/summer anyway cause the snowblower is pretty easy to lift with the hand lift. This will save my arm when using the tiller though, hopefully next summer.

The model number on the sticker is basically invisable but I think I might have made out 1870 04. If it sounds right, good, if not than I was just seeing thinks that weren't there. I know it has 1xx0 04. I think I could make out a slanted line for the 7 and a squiggly for the 8. The picture of the aluminum tag has some numbers on it as well. The lower one is a serial number. Don't know what it is for, or why its there. The sticker is on the mount and the tag is on the pump reservoir barely visible in the last picture.
PIMG0108.jpg
PIMG0103.jpg
PIMG0101.jpg

#41 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Got the lift in the mail a couple of days ago. Here are a few pictures. The rod does have a little rust spots on it and one of the hoses is taped for some reason, maybe rub wear from contact with the seat pan. Should get new hoses sometime. The control lever is only spring return in one direction so it think it needs a new return spring as well. Anyone know where to get one? If I remember right they are kinda hard to come by.

Yes, these are a bit hard to find. I purchased one a few months ago for $50 :wallbanging: (shipping included)

I don't think I am gonna try to install it till next spring/summer anyway cause the snowblower is pretty easy to lift with the hand lift. This will save my arm when using the tiller though, hopefully next summer.

The model number on the sticker is basically invisable but I think I might have made out 1870 04. If it sounds right, good, if not than I was just seeing thinks that weren't there. I know it has 1xx0 04. I think I could make out a slanted line for the 7 and a squiggly for the 8. The picture of the aluminum tag has some numbers on it as well. The lower one is a serial number. Don't know what it is for, or why its there. The sticker is on the mount and the tag is on the pump reservoir barely visible in the last picture.

These pumps were not made by Bolens, but by Hein Werner (not sure on spelling) From the numbers you posted you most likely have a 18703-04 It really dosent matter what model you have as they were basically all the same.
Did you download the partslist from the manuals section?
The tag on the pump itself is probably a hein werner ID plate
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#42 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can do about the spring. I didn't look at the manuals section for a partslist yet.

#43 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Here's the partslist:
Hydrolic lift kit newer Model - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#44 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Here's the partslist:

The spring still could be good, could be one of the roll pins broke off inside
You wont know for sure until you open it up, they are pretty simple units to work on

#45 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 08:07 PM

The spring still could be good, could be one of the roll pins broke off inside
You wont know for sure until you open it up, they are pretty simple units to work on

Good to know.

Here's the partslist:

Thanks