#16 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 12:17 PM

Well I started taking it apart this morning to look though it. Things look pretty good except for the brake pad and a little surface rust. There is a little wear in the tranny but nothing drastic. Here's a few pics of the work.
IMG_0517 (2).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0525.jpg
  • IMG_0517.jpg
  • IMG_0516.jpg
  • IMG_0514.jpg
  • IMG_0518.jpg
  • IMG_0523.jpg
  • IMG_0515.jpg
  • IMG_0515 (2).jpg

Edited by Lovintractorin, September 23, 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Maybe, and maybe not. Most mfgs, aren't above showing 'optional equiplent' in their literature.

I'm still betting that that seat is an option, and the flatter ones, like the one below, were standard equipment

The 1256 used 2 styles of seats. The early ones used the high backed seat and the later ones used the seat like you have in the picture:

These seats were used in the 1970 models:1970'1256.jpg

Then from 1971-1972 the seats were changed to this style. You can also see the transition from the " Husky man" to the "Husky dog" Logos. Also the front grills were painted a blackish/brown color
1971 1256.jpg

This also applies to the other models that were produced in this time period as well.

#18 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Your off to a great Start!

If you haven't already taken more apart, could you get some closer pics of the clutch/ steering column area. There is a member restoring a 1054 who needs to see how that area gets assembled.

http://gardentractor...tore-help-9221/

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Yes the '71-'72 1256 used the same seat as the Large Frame,or at least the same as the 1886 used.

#20 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Mine is original and is the high back two piece seat. I'm thinking maybe this is what they decided for the 1253.

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:06 PM

Mine is original and is the high back two piece seat. I'm thinking maybe this is what they decided for the 1253.

The 1253 was made for 1 year (1970), so they were only made with the 2 piece seat

#22 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 02:39 PM

A little progress on this project to update you all on. I decided to redo the ignition system on the Tecumseh as outlined in this link: (Tecumseh solid state ignition replacement). I got some of the parts needed but the coil I ordered turned out to be a 6V coil (not paying attention I guess:wallbanging:). Returned that and will have to find another and get a spark plug wire. The guy at Autozone was trying to tell me it didn't matter but I figured since they went though the trouble of writing 6V or 12V on the side of the coil, there got to be a difference.

The starter needs rebuilding as well so I'll have to take it to the local auto parts store. Haven't had much time lately so it isn't moving along as fast as I'd like but it is moving. Haven't got the 1253 any more apart than in the previous posts pictures.

Attached a photo of the ballast resistor and the control module fresh out of the box.

[ATTACH]22587[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0582.jpg

Edited by Lovintractorin, October 09, 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#23 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 03:00 PM

That looks like it needs to live in Arkansas where it can join the rest of mine in retirement. Welcome to GTtalk, and I always enjoy the chats.

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 03:20 PM

That's a sharp looking Bolens. Was the CDI pack in your tractor bad? If not, you may be able to sponsor part of the project with it...

#25 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 04:21 PM

That looks like it needs to live in Arkansas where it can join the rest of mine in retirement. Welcome to GTtalk, and I always enjoy the chats.

I wouldn't do that to him, he is the working type and wouldn't handle retirement real well. Plus the 1256 would get lonely without him. So I'll probably let him stay for the time being. :D
I enjoy the chats as well, good to hear I don't bore you.

That's a sharp looking Bolens. Was the CDI pack in your tractor bad? If not, you may be able to sponsor part of the project with it...

Yeah the CDI was bad. That is why I am going this route to replace it cause getting a replacement costs an arm and a leg and it may be bad anyway. I may keep it around or send it to the guy in that ignition replacement link to reuse the censer coil out of it. I won't stake my life on that it is bad but it was getting no spark and I tested the stator and it tested good so the manual said to replace the CDI. My one trigger pin looks to be welded in, but it is the correct height, not sure if that is a factor. I didn't sand all the wiring connections though. I figured, replace everything and it would be easier in the down the road. When I get the starter rebuilt I may try it again to make sure.

#26 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Note on previous post: the trigger pin looks to be JB weld in or epoxied in not just mig welded or something. I didn't specify and thought I'd clear that up.

Today I tore the engine down as far as I wanted to go. Everything looks good to me. Soon I'll start ordering stuff for the tractor (once I get a paypal account going). Sure is hard to buy stuff now without a card or paypal account. Not sure when this restore will be done but at the rate I am going it will be next summer cause I don't have a heated shop and I am not ready to paint yet. Maybe it will make me slow down and do a better job.

Anyway, on to the pictures

IMG_0031.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0027.jpg
  • IMG_0028.jpg
  • IMG_0013.jpg
  • IMG_0029.jpg

#27 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Looks Good
Thanks for the update

#28 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 04:49 AM

Looks Good
Thanks for the update

:ditto: your getting there.

#29 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:14 PM

Well the air filter assembly is coming from a seller on ebay and I just picked up the coil I need for the ignition system. I also picked up some 30wt engine oil and gas line. Tomorrow I have the day off so hopefully I can get the engine back together and running. I know it sounds kinda ambitious but I figure don't know unless I try. I'll probably put the tractor back together so I can use it for snowblowing this winter seeing as though I don't have a heated shop so I won't be able to paint this winter anyway. Will have to put off the restore till next year. The 1256 is out of commission until the engine is rebuilt as well so It will be good to have at least one running Bolens.

I know you all know what a coil looks like but I figured since you'all like pictures here it is.

IMG_0013.jpg

Pretty boring, I know.:rolleyes:

#30 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 09:19 AM

The coil looks pretty standard BUT that packaging is beautiful!lol

Thanks for the pics and yes we will look at a pic of anything tractor related.