• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JulianLewis OFFLINE  

JulianLewis

• Member No: 6447
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi there, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 Sears 18/6 for $450 but know very little about whether this was a good year/good tractor. I'm brand new to tractors. We need a riding lawn mower but I would rather buy an older tractor that is heavy duty than buy modern and of poor quality.
The tractor runs and appears to be in good overall condition.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this model.
Cheers, Julian
PS I am originally from England where lawn's are the size of postage stamps. We didn't have riders!!

Edited by JulianLewis, September 22, 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:54 PM

Julian, welcome! If you are mechanically inclined, the older tractors can be very rewarding. Can't say much about the price, not up on that. A lot depends where you are located and what, if any, attachments come with it. Someone with more experience with this brand should be along.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Julian, WELCOME to GT talk, glad you joined us. I can't tell you much about Sears GT's, other then they were a good solid tractor and there are 100's of them still out there doing their daily jobs. Good luck.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Julian,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

I know what you mean about the size of the lawns in England. One of my best friends lives in England.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:05 PM

They are a good, well built machine. Check condition of the deck, you don't want to pay that for a rusty fixer upper. Also, open the drain on the tranny to the last thread with something to catch stuff in under it. Water in there can really mess with the H-L shifter. If it has the aluminum Briggs twin, be very careful to never run it without a good OEM style (or close) muffler. If run with something else or nothing, the valve seats will loosen up in the block.

The price may be a little high, but it depends on condition, location, and how bad you want it.

:welcometogttalk:

#6 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:38 PM

A 1977 18/6 will have the 18 hp Onan. A very reliable, overbuilt engine, although the carbs can be finicky. I'd offer $375 for it and hope to meet at $400-$420 or so if it is in decent shape. One thing to watch for on this body style is the hood hinge, they are a weak point and almost all of them are broken to some extent. Doesn't hurt performance of the tractor, but it can be bothersome. Make sure you start it up and run it around long enough to come up to temperature and see how it runs and if the mower deck sounds decent. Make sure the battery is charging, it should have an ammeter(I think). Any chance of posting a picture? All in all, great tractors. Even if all you get with it is a mower deck, there is a plethora of attachments available for the Sears tractors on ebay and Craigslist.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 JulianLewis OFFLINE  

JulianLewis

• Member No: 6447
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hi All,
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. Here is the listing on craigslist.
Sears 18/6 riding mower
Yes it does have the Onan 18.
I'm fairly good at fixing mechanical things. I have a couple of honda trails I keep running and riding and work on my own cars mostly.
I don't mind tinkering and fixing, but I'm so busy with other stuff I don't want a full blown restoration project, which would be a bit out of my league and time constraints. Just would like a good solid tractor. Any other tractor recommendations? Parts availability is important for me too as I don't have the time to source stuff really
Thanks for your input.
Cheers, Julian